Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Indian Wells 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Indian Wells 2012

(Read 7384 times)
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18 PM »

Agree with the consensus - it looks like a good draw for Andy and it isn't too hard to think that the seeded top four will be in the semi finals. Can Andy do for Novac again? I really believe that he can and will.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 12:57 PM »

Think Andy will win one of these-IW and Miami, and Novak the other. Can't make up my mind which confused and hope it's not wishful thinking  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 01:08 PM »

My new favourite Andy quote:

"You need to be there week in, week out, and put in 110 per cent."
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 01:31 PM »

I guess the draws will pan out this way from now on. Fedal finals are a thing in the past now or so it seems. Organizers are more keen on the new rivalry. That Fedal semi at the Aussie Open was the least interesting one anyway, so I am not complaining. 

A focused Andy should not have any problems making the semi here. There are a couple of trouble makers, Isner in particular, but Andy knows how to deal with both of them. So I say nice draw otherwise.

Nole has no one to trouble him in the real sense except for Nishikori but he will have to make the qtr first.

Easy draw for Nadal. Only Tsonga can pose a real threat but he won’t have to meet with him until the qtr as well. And Rafa tends to get better with each round so…

As to Federer, his 3rd round match against Raonic looks delicious. Federer knows how to deal with the players like Raonic though and will probably be very patient against him, but Raonic seems to be improving with each year so let’s see it. Raonic does have the tendency to injure himself when you least expect him, so I will wait for him to make that round first.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 01:55 PM »

Yes but it is obviously the biggest one.
I remember seeing a grown man stagger before an escalator and was amused at how scared he was and then he just did it and everything went smoothly. He will have to develop a similar attitude on a grander scale. There is no alternative.
And give Lendl a bit of time EJ its only been a couple of months.

The idea is to do it with or without Lendl. What if Lendl quits today? Can’t be so depended on Lendl though he’s not but just saying what should be the attitude regardless.

I watched the Toronto final from 2010 vs Federer again just last night. Andy’s attitude was that of a champion. He walked into the court in a manner you’d know right away he was in it to win it. At times, he walked like Sampras even. I used to pay a lot of attention to Pete’s body language and I could see how his mind would connect to his body. I’ve seen it in Andy quite a few times as well. It’s a sheer delight and that’s your Andy Murray 2.0 - one that we are likely to see in the future. Btw, I am not talking about the Dubai final here but in general. You and I both agree that it’s Andy’s attitude - both mental and physical that needs the most adjustment. Lendl will most definitely work on it but I think there will still be times when Andy will make the final decisions going into different matches/tournaments.

I don’t think Andy wanted to give too much effort in the Dubai final for example. It wasn’t a Masters or Grand Slam after all. Besides, he got two very important win there and I think that’s what was more important to him. I’d really like a Federer/Andy clash in a Slam most preferably in the Semi but highly unlikely to happen given the ranking, unless it changes all of a sudden.

Oh, and Andy’s haircut was also the one I truly prefer the most and I’ve always loved him in a shirt with a collar – blue and white suits him very much. Here’s a link to the match. It’s very high quality btw. A guy offered me tickets for this final for $500 right after the semi, but I had already spent so much by then, I just couldn’t afford it. It made me very sad but oh well…

IP Logged
Adrian
Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 03:07 PM »

Andy must surely have a good chance of winning one of the two upcoming masters tournaments. I have a feeling Andy will win Miami and lose in the Indian Wells Final. Just a hunch. I know, its not based on any foundation. It will be interesting to evaluate Andy's game on outdoor courts that are medium in speed as opposed to the fast courts in Dubai, should favour Andy's all round game.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 04:29 PM »

Please - give the pair of them a break!  A few weeks of working together is nowhere near long enough to start talking about that one last push in terms of winning a Slam, but it has been long enough to see encouraging signs of improvement in Andy's mental attitude.  Just remember where he was this time the last two years - at the bottom of a dark pit which many feared he would never climb out of.

No, I agree with you. I think my main frustration was that, I hate seeing Andy losing to Federer – I could take almost any other unless it’s Wawrinka or Berdych – I don’t like those two either at all though I appreciate Berdych quite much. Otherwise Andy is most surely on a much better place. He won Brisbane beating some really worthy newcomers. He made the AO semi and lost to the eventual champion. And here in Dubai he made the final though lost to Federer, he did beat a couple of his biggest enemies. He is most certainly on the right path and in the right frame of mind. I don't doubt it at all.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 04:33 PM »

Andy must surely have a good chance of winning one of the two upcoming masters tournaments. I have a feeling Andy will win Miami and lose in the Indian Wells Final. Just a hunch. I know, its not based on any foundation. It will be interesting to evaluate Andy's game on outdoor courts that are medium in speed as opposed to the fast courts in Dubai, should favour Andy's all round game.

You are not far off at all. Given that Andy has never won Miami and only came as close as the final, he will most certainly be very keen on winning this one. And because of this reason, he may not be as focused to win Indian Wells. Andy is pretty good on medium to medium slow court though many have said that the altitude there is a bit problematic for some players.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 04:33 PM »

^ I agree that he has a good chance of winning one of these, and I think he needs a win to maintain confidence and momentum.  He was so angry at himself at losing the Dubai final.  He went back to his chair and threw his racket down in disgust.  I do think he is his own worst critic and enemy at times.  I'm not a big Federer fan these days, but anyone who knows anything about tennis has to admire his free flowing style - it is a joy to watch.

Edit:  Simultaneous posting Emma Jean.  My reply was to Adrian's post.  Smile
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 05:07 PM »

Good draw for Andy  Smile  Im pretty pleased with the result... the only tricky match will be with Isner/Fish   Andy has a great chance of winning this tournament !!  cmon yeah  I think It will be a Nadal- Murray final...
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #55 on: March 07, 2012, 05:16 PM »

Good draw for Andy  Smile  Im pretty pleased with the result... the only tricky match will be with Isner/Fish   Andy has a great chance of winning this tournament !!  cmon yeah  I think It will be a Nadal- Murray final...
He has a great chance of seeing these guys off, and I fancy him in a Nadal final.   I think he took two steps back in Dubai after he saw Djokovic off.  Sometimes I think the guy has difficulty coming to terms with his own brilliance. So pray that it's not always so. Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #56 on: March 07, 2012, 05:24 PM »

He has a great chance of seeing these guys off, and I fancy him in a Nadal final.   I think he took two steps back in Dubai after he saw Djokovic off.  Sometimes I think the guy has difficulty coming to terms with his own brilliance. So pray that it's not always so. Smile

I think he needs a moment or two to think about things after a good show. He's not a very switch on switch off guy though I think eventually he will get to that mode as well. He's brilliant nonetheless. Love him either way.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #57 on: March 07, 2012, 05:37 PM »

You are not far off at all. Given that Andy has never won Miami and only came as close as the final, he will most certainly be very keen on winning this one. And because of this reason, he may not be as focused to win Indian Wells. Andy is pretty good on medium to medium slow court though many have said that the altitude there is a bit problematic for some players.

For the record. Andy has won Miami, in 2009.
So I'd prefer IW this time.
Or why not both?
I dont believe he choked in the 500 event against federer in Dubai,
Like you EJ I believe he checked out after 2 big wins.
Federer can wait a little while longer.
Onwards and Upwards.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme March 07, 2012, 05:41 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #58 on: March 07, 2012, 05:44 PM »

I think he needs a moment or two to think about things after a good show. He's not a very switch on switch off guy though I think eventually he will get to that mode as well. He's brilliant nonetheless. Love him either way.
Totally.  He doubts himself a lot, but that doesn't mean he's not good enough.  Oh how I wish he'd win a slam, but unless he believes, it's not going to happen.  Frown
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Indian Wells 2012 « Reply #59 on: March 07, 2012, 05:58 PM »

For the record. Andy has won Miami, in 2009.
So I'd prefer IW this time.
Or why not both?
I dont believe he choked in the 500 event against federer in Dubai,
Like you EJ I believe he checked out after 2 big wins.
Federer can wait a little while longer.
Onwards and Upwards.

Sorry I thought it was the other way around! In that case, he should be keen on winning Indian Wells but the draw looks quite nice here. That's right. There's no rule he has to win one!

No, I don't think he choked at all in Dubai. He wasn't afraid by any means. He just wasn't into it as much.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »