Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Madrid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Madrid

(Read 3787 times)
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #75 on: May 05, 2012, 01:08 PM »

In the telegraph it says "AM has pulled out of Madrid Masters,citing a back injury that has been troubling
him for some time. The issue is not thought to be serious, but doctors advised that it would improve only through rest, and there were precious few gaps in the schedule between the Rome Masters in a weeks time and the other tournaments. Murray is understood to be confident of returning to action in Rome."
Andy certainly grabbed his hip and lower back during the Milos match.
I'm sure having tried out the Madrid courts, he would have felt that it was wiser to take the time for rest and massage etc, than to take any risks that could put an end to some or all of his season. He certainly has an injury and not pretending.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #76 on: May 05, 2012, 01:21 PM »

^^ Thanks for the info Michelle. Yes it definitely makes sense to rest now rather than risk making it worse by playing on, especially if the surface is as slippery as some players say it is.

I'm not a fan of having back-to-back clay Masters, it means the successful players are playing a lot of tennis over a two week period. It definitely doesn't give them much time to recuperate, and there's only a week off before Roland Garros starts. Andy playing in only one of the Masters events might end up not being such a bad thing.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #77 on: May 05, 2012, 01:25 PM »

Thanx Michelle Smile That makes a lot of sense. Hope Andy recovers in time for Rome.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #78 on: May 05, 2012, 03:07 PM »

In the telegraph it says "AM has pulled out of Madrid Masters,citing a back injury that has been troubling
him for some time. The issue is not thought to be serious, but doctors advised that it would improve only through rest, and there were precious few gaps in the schedule between the Rome Masters in a weeks time and the other tournaments. Murray is understood to be confident of returning to action in Rome."
Andy certainly grabbed his hip and lower back during the Milos match.
I'm sure having tried out the Madrid courts, he would have felt that it was wiser to take the time for rest and massage etc, than to take any risks that could put an end to some or all of his season. He certainly has an injury and not pretending.
Thanks Michelle.  Now at least we know there is a definite problem, and I truly hope that Andy is fit in time for Rome.

The surface in Madrid does sound pretty hazardous.  Nadal has described it as being "soft and slippery".  I'm afraid there are going to be a few falls on this and hope that no player suffers serious injury as a result. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/2012/05/04/madrid_open_rafael_nadal_blames_atp_for_allowing_blue_clay/

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #79 on: May 06, 2012, 01:25 PM »

Thanks Michelle for that information.  I guess he may have aggravated what was a niggle in his match against Raonic.  And if the doctor is advising rest, he'd be mad to risk it at a tournament where he has few points to defend.  As for those who are suggesting it's just an excuse to play on the blue clay, Andy was in fact the only top player to say something positive about it ie that you can see the ball better.  Are you really suggesting that he's that devious?   I hope not.  shocking
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #80 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06 AM »

As for those who are suggesting it's just an excuse to play on the blue clay, Andy was in fact the only top player to say something positive about it ie that you can see the ball better.  Are you really suggesting that he's that devious?   I hope not.  shocking
I plead guilty to having made negative comments initially, but it was in fact a knee-jerk reaction because (a) I was disappointed, and, more importantly (b) I was anxious (and still am) in case this injury could rule him out of Rome or even RG.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #81 on: May 07, 2012, 05:02 AM »

Thanks Michele. I was looking at the schedule for Madrid and was surprised to see Andy's name missing. I wondered how many tournaments he wasn't going to play. Now I know the reason.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #82 on: May 07, 2012, 06:32 PM »

I plead guilty to having made negative comments initially, but it was in fact a knee-jerk reaction because (a) I was disappointed, and, more importantly (b) I was anxious (and still am) in case this injury could rule him out of Rome or even RG.
I think you were only one of many Aileen and like you my immediate reaction was disappointment and anxiety about implications for rest of clay season.  Sky said he was almost certain to be at Rome next week but what do they know?
This isn't really about Andy in Madrid but as Andy wasn't going to be in Madrid I finally got round to watching the Benneteau match in MC that I'd recorded from the highlights, having missed it.  I was struck by some of the things Peter Fleming said:
Andy best half volleyer since Agassi;
Talked about 'examples of the genius that is AM' and how his double handed bh is among the best.
But when Andy yelled at putting a drop shot in the net v early in the match, he said there you have why AM has not yet won a GS: that he got so angry over what was nearly a perfect drop shot but which missed by 1/4 inch or so, so early in the match.  And thereby wasted a lot of energy.
Thought they were interesting observations from someone who I think is v fair in his assessments of Andy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #83 on: May 08, 2012, 02:22 AM »

Well he may turn up in Rome, but how much is he going to be able to practise before then?

Interesting comments from PF, who I agree is very fair, and I certainly wouldn't dispute what he says about Andy's wasting energy over trivialities.  He's a perfectionist and it's time he learnt that all players, even the very best, don't always get it right.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #84 on: May 08, 2012, 07:21 AM »

@Ruthie 6.32pm yesterday. Thinking of Andy and Mac who also let fly on court, Mac turned his rage outwards but Andy turns his inwards. I wonder if that's the difference?
I agree with PF though, all that wasted energy for just one shot. Perhaps it's merely a symptom that Andy feels his game isn't working properly.
I wonder where this huge, critical superego come from.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #85 on: May 08, 2012, 09:08 AM »

^^^ I think it comes from being so close in age behind Jamie. From a very very early age - Winning = making fewer mistakes = approval.
A mindset that is quite hard to get out of when older.

[well, that's my cod psychology, for what it's worth!]
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #86 on: May 10, 2012, 06:40 PM »

I see Tsonga is knocked out in the 3rd round. Also Nadal.
Berdych looks stong again, beating Monfils 6-1,6-1, he is one to avoid at RG. Then Del Potro who also looks very good again. Andy will have a lot of close rivals on the red dirt!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »