Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Madrid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Madrid

(Read 4162 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Andy in Madrid « on: April 29, 2012, 12:12 PM »

Mutua Madrid Open - 4th - 13th May 2012

The Mutua Madrid Open is one of the most important tournaments on both the male and female circuit today. It has been held in the Spanish capital since 2002 and was originally a male only competition played indoors and on hard court.

However, in 2009 it opened its doors to the WTA circuit and changed to an outdoor clay competition. It is played in May just before the second Grand Slam of the season, the Roland Garros, in the luxurious surroundings of the Caja Magica. Since the tournament was revamped it is now a Masters 1000 event in the men’s category and a Premier event in the women’s, placed only behind the Grand Slams in terms of precedence.

The Mutua Madrid Open is the second most important clay court competition in the world, and beginning in 2012 will be the only clay tournament to be played on a blue surface. A glance at some of the names to have won the ATP title here in previous years points to the prestige of the tournament: Andre Agassi, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Marat Safin, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. Nadal and Federer have both been crowned champion here twice, but their success is eclipsed by the Bryan brothers, Bob and Mke, who have won the doubles category four times.

The female category of the competition has only had three editions, however, of the six players to reach the finals, four of them have led the WTA rankings, such as Dinara Safina, the first woman to triumph here. Petra Kvitova, for her part, picked up the title in 2011 and since then has seen her career rise meteorically, winning Wimbledon and the WTA Championships as well as being voted as WTA player of the year.

http://www.madrid-open.com/en/torneos/mutua-madrid-open/

Both Rafa and Fedex have won this tournie on both hard court and clay.

Nole is defending champion.

Andy won this in 2008, the last time it was played on a hard court.

Some highlights of the semi-final from that year.

And just in case you were wondering how they produce the blue clay

http://www.madrid-open.com/en/la-caja-magica/como-se-fabrica-la-tierra-azul/

All the top seeds are down to play here though the website isn't that easy to follow retard

Thought I'd add Andy's playing record since the court changed to clay in 2009 - QF is his best placing.

* Murray playing record Madrid from 2009.JPG (94.01 KB, 653x676 - viewed 539 times.)
[ Last edit by Bevc April 29, 2012, 12:20 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:03 PM »

Madrid is such a weird tournament. It should be dumped altogether. Rome is enough since May is also the start of RG. 
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:22 AM »

Madrid is such a weird tournament.

Just in case there are those out there that didn't know (like me) that this tournie wasn't always held in Madrid confused

From 1990 through 2008, the tournament was classified as an ATP Masters Series event on the men's tour. The event was held in Essen, Germany in 1995 and Stockholm, Sweden from 1990 through 1994. When the tournament moved from Stockholm to Essen, the Stockholm Open continued as an ATP World Series tournament. From 1996 through 2001, the event was held in Stuttgart, Germany and from 2002 through 2008 at the Madrid Arena. The tournament was played from 1990 through 2008 on indoor hardcourts. In 2009, the surface became clay courts, the venue was changed to the Park Manzanares, and the tournament was expanded to include WTA professionals.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:37 AM »

It has its history no doubt. And it's worth mentioning that in 1996 Pete Sampras made his only final in Stuttgart and lost to Becker in a chiliing five set thriller (3-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4), who had the home crowd advantage. Also worth menting that in those days it was played on indoor carpet just like the Paris Masters.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:43 AM »

And btw, I stayed up all night just to watch that match. It was heartbreaking  but well worth it because the quality was just mind blowing.

On a second thought, they could have easily made this tournament a grass one since it was taking 180 all the time. We have only a few and none of them are Masters.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:05 AM »

It does annoy me that there are only six Grass tournaments (a Slam and five 250 events), no Masters, no 500 events. Yet the frickin' clay gets THREE Masters events, numerous 250 events throughout the year and three 500 events (one of them, Hamburg, outside the Clay court season).

Bit of a joke really.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:14 PM »

I've always said that Queen's should be at least a 500 event.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28 PM »

One of just two 250 events with a field larger than 32 (the other being Winston Salem). Bit ridiculous that it isn't really, given the surface it's on.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:39 PM »

I agree dex.  The size of the trophy should reflect the size of the tournament.. and that's one helluva huge trophy at Queens.
IP Logged
Tonedial
Challenger Level

WORTH THE WAIT

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 01:43 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2135693/Andy-Murray-Why-I-gone-playing-best-tennis-life-worst.html
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 05:21 PM »

Thanks for that a good honest interview and a good appraisal from David Frost.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:40 PM »

It does annoy me that there are only six Grass tournaments (a Slam and five 250 events), no Masters, no 500 events. Yet the frickin' clay gets THREE Masters events, numerous 250 events throughout the year and three 500 events (one of them, Hamburg, outside the Clay court season).

Bit of a joke really.

The reason why I think there are only a few tournaments on grass is because the claycourter are unable to play on it and that's even with the surface playing significantly slower than ever. Remember the Wimbledon boycott in the 90s by he Spanish players and that infamous comment grass is for cows only? To be more honest and precise, the usual claycourter are just 1 surface wonders and other than Nadal, no one true claycourter was able to do anything even remotely significant either on grass and hard courts. I really think that this would be the reason why ATP is not too keen on making the grass tournaments any bigger than they are now or adding any new tournaments to the otherwise lopsided schedule. If not for Wimbledon, I think they would have gotten rid of this grass surface altogether just like they did with carpet. In the end, it's really all about doing business and making money.

It's worth mentioning that the true hard courters are able to play on two surfaces - hard & grass - as opposed to claycourters who are only good on clay and it doesn’t even matter how slow the surface is these days.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 05:43 PM »

A good read that, and I was amazed at the comments - all positive, apart from a couple of negative comments aimed at Frost.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 12:06 PM »

A good read that, and I was amazed at the comments - all positive, apart from a couple of negative comments aimed at Frost.
I was surprised by the positive comments I read too - do you think the great British public is finally seeing Andy for what he is??   Was it just me not paying full attention when I watched the interview c/o someone's posting or were there bits in the transcript that weren't in the interview (and vice versa)?  I don't remember the bit about crying in his Miami hotel room.  My heart went out to him.  I hope that helps those 'fans' who attack Andy after a bad loss like that  to realise just how awful it is for Andy himself and it's not that he's simply not trying hard enough. 
The more interviews I read with Andy the more he comes across as a normal human being rather than a star and that is one of the reasons I like him so much.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 12:52 PM »

The more interviews I read with Andy the more he comes across as a normal human being rather than a star and that is one of the reasons I like him so much.
[/quote]

Perhaps this is one of the reasons the "great British public" don't take warmly to Andy. They like their super stars to swagger around with arrogance like Federer and Djokovic; who's trying to emulate Federer in the arrogant stakes.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »