Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Madrid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Madrid

(Read 4284 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 01:22 PM »

Not sure about that OSS.  I've heard Andy critisised as arrogant but unclear on what basis.
btw does anyone know when the draw for Madrid will be out?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 02:00 PM »

I think it'll be out on Friday, probably around noon.

The big thing about this tournament is that Madrid is situated at an elevation of 646 meters (2,119 feet) above sea level, so players have to acclimatise themselves to the change in altitude, and also the way that that affects the speed of the ball since it makes it travel faster through the air.  Now this year they've got blue clay to contend with as well, and I've read that it's a faster surface than the red stuff, despite les deux messieurs Français in the video claiming there's no difference.  Could be a very interesting tournament!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 02:04 PM »

Thanks Aileen.  I imagine the players are already there then trying to acclimatise to elevation and blue clay. 
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 03:12 PM »

The ATP website is not yet showing which of the top eight are playing. Still showing who played last year. Does anyone know the major line-up?

Not sure about that OSS.  I've heard Andy critisised as arrogant but unclear on what basis.

Exactly my point, Ruth. People do not understand Andy's politeness, shyness and basic humility. Hence he is categorised as arrogant because he does not throw himself about as super stars tend to do.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 03:20 PM »

But point I was trying to make OSS was that if people like the arrogance of smugfed and Nole it wouldn't be their (erroneous) perception of Andy's  arrogance, which turned them off him.  I absolutely agree on how people misread him though perhaps these recent interviews will help change that at least among those who read/see them.
Sorry don't know the answer about Madrid - is there nothing on the tourno's own website yet?  Just had a look myself but it seems to have everything but - v confusing  confused
[ Last edit by Ruthie May 01, 2012, 03:28 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 03:46 PM »

Thanks Aileen.  I imagine the players are already there then trying to acclimatise to elevation and blue clay.  
Another reason the blue clay is unpopular is because the top players, including Andy, feel that it's detrimental to have a change of colour immediately after Madrid, when they transfer to Rome, because the ball is seen differently depending on the colour of the court and they won't have much time to adjust to that should they go deep into the tournament here.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 05:11 PM »

I was surprised by the positive comments I read too - do you think the great British public is finally seeing Andy for what he is??   Was it just me not paying full attention when I watched the interview c/o someone's posting or were there bits in the transcript that weren't in the interview (and vice versa)?  I don't remember the bit about crying in his Miami hotel room.  My heart went out to him.  I hope that helps those 'fans' who attack Andy after a bad loss like that  to realise just how awful it is for Andy himself and it's not that he's simply not trying hard enough.  
The more interviews I read with Andy the more he comes across as a normal human being rather than a star and that is one of the reasons I like him so much.

Ruthie - there must have been two interviews with David Frost. The intro to the one published here says "the scene of our get-together was Queen’s Club in London" - and there was a picture of the two them there posted on facebook.

The one filmed for Al Jazeera was quite clearly in Monte Carlo!

For all the complaints about "the media" I think there have been a lot of fair and good interviews and articles recently. Some people just don't want to know, and write their horrible comments anyway, whatever the article says, but they're not really worth bothering about. Nice to see some appreciation for Andy in the comments and ratings after this one though.

[ Last edit by Elena May 01, 2012, 05:29 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 05:55 PM »

Here's the entry list:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=199197

1 Djokovic, Novak SRB 1
2 Nadal, Rafael ESP 2
3 Federer, Roger SUI 3
4 Murray, Andy GBR 4
5 Ferrer, David ESP 5
6 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried FRA 6
7 Berdych, Tomas CZE 7
8 Fish, Mardy USA 8
9 Tipsarevic, Janko SRB 9
10 Isner, John USA 10
11 Del Potro, Juan Martin ARG 11
12 Almagro, Nicolas ESP 12
13 Simon, Gilles FRA 13
14 Monfils, Gael FRA 14
15 Lopez, Feliciano ESP 15
17 Gasquet, Richard FRA 17
18 Dolgopolov, Alexandr UKR 18
19 Mayer, Florian GER 19
20 Verdasco, Fernando ESP 20
21 Monaco, Juan ARG 21
22 Melzer, Jurgen AUT 22
23 Cilic, Marin CRO 23
24 Granollers, Marcel ESP 24
25 Stepanek, Radek CZE 25
26 Raonic, Milos CAN 26
27 Troicki, Viktor SRB 27
28 Anderson, Kevin RSA 28
29 Wawrinka, Stanislas SUI 29
31 Youzhny, Mikhail RUS 31
32 Chela, Juan Ignacio ARG 32
34 Roddick, Andy USA 34
35 Kohlschreiber, Philipp GER 35
36 Tomic, Bernard AUS 36
37 Berlocq, Carlos ARG 37
38 Andujar, Pablo ESP 38
39 Bogomolov Jr., Alex RUS 39
40 Davydenko, Nikolay RUS 40
42 Baghdatis, Marcos CYP 42
43 Llodra, Michael FRA 43
44 Istomin, Denis UZB 44
45 Seppi, Andreas ITA 45
46 (Q)
47 (Q)
48 (Q)
49 (Q)
50 (Q)
51 (Q)
52 (Q)
53 (WC)
54 (WC) Marti, Javier ESP
55 (WC) Nalbandian, David ARG
56 (WC) Ramos, Albert ESP

Alternates
IN Young, Donald USA 46
IN Bellucci, Thomaz BRA 47
IN Nieminen, Jarkko FIN 48
IN Ferrero, Juan Carlos ESP 49

Nishikori, Benneteau, Soderling and Ljubicic are those who have withdrawn since the entry deadline.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 05:57 PM »

Thanks Bev  hug
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 06:15 PM »

I've always said that Queen's should be at least a 500 event.

Yes and alot of the players support that.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 07:17 PM »

I agree it should be at least a 500 I was surprised when I heard it was only 250. It is a good tournament and just before Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 07:33 PM »

Ruthie - there must have been two interviews with David Frost. The intro to the one published here says "the scene of our get-together was Queen’s Club in London" - and there was a picture of the two them there posted on facebook.

The one filmed for Al Jazeera was quite clearly in Monte Carlo!
That is really weird, Elena.  I've never listened to the video, so just assumed the Mail article was the transcript of that. confused

Yes Queen's should be a 500.  Absolutely ridiculous that it isn't given its prestige value.  Maybe prestige alone counted for something years ago, but things have moved on in the tennis world.
IP Logged
Tonedial
Challenger Level

WORTH THE WAIT

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 09:58 PM »

for those that may have missed it, the Andy Murray 2012 Olympic Quiz  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17764856
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 11:51 PM »

^^ Loved that!  The only one I got right was Britain's place in the medals' table in Beijing.  Not sure why Andy felt so embarrassed except that, as a sportsman, he perhaps felt he should know the all answers.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 08:45 AM »

Thanks, MH
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »