Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Madrid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Madrid

(Read 4448 times)
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 08:52 AM »

Yes Queen's should be a 500.  Absolutely ridiculous that it isn't given its prestige value.  Maybe prestige alone counted for something years ago, but things have moved on in the tennis world.

I think that it's all to do with money. Further, the powers that be listen too regularly to the Spanish tennis association. As you have remarked several times Spanish players do not like grass and until perhaps Nadal retires from the scene nothing will change.

Again as many MW members have stated too few grass tournaments and too many clay ones are in the annual calender. To change matters would require the top members of the ATP committee to approve an increase in grass and reduction in clay. It probably won't happen as once again money is king.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 09:07 AM »

I've always said that Queen's should be at least a 500 event.
Yes it defiantly should be Dex.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 09:17 AM »

Thanks for posting the list for Madrid tmh.
How odd that Andy did 2 interviews with Frost.  I thought it was my memory which was letting me down again.
I know this is about RG rather than Madrid but don't think we have a RG thread yet: just read that ITV is going to be covering RG and it will provide more free to air coverage than BBC used to do.  Good news for people who don't subscribe to eurosport and potentially also for the rest of us as might mean we can escape croft and willander.  Mark P is in the comms team and also the magician - Santoro.  Loved him as a player and I think he's lovely so let's hope he's a good comm too.  But what does it say about the BBC?  Looks like it's tennis coverage is now confined to Queens and Wimbledon, which reinforces the British view that that's the only places 'real' tennis happens.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 04:03 AM »

backtotopic  Well, sort of ... Andy and Lendl having presumably gone to ground in Madrid, and am.com are offering no up-to-date news.  No comment from Andy in this either.

Players’ initial reactions to Madrid Open’s controversial blue clay [Bleacher Report, 2 May]

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bgx21?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis

Don't know about anyone else, but I think the colour is too bright.  Looks more like a living-room carpet than a tennis court and I think it'll be a bit hard on the eyes when watching matches.  Also I'm a little concerned at Raonic's comment - "Hitting on the Smurf clay, the bounce is lower and the 2 courts I practiced on were a bit more slippery than usual".  Slippery??  nervous
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 11:08 AM »

I love it!  Reminds me of Australia yes  and if I can see the ball more clearly, then that's a bonus too.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 02:56 PM »

It's aesthetically pleasing compared to the dull red stuff, but the way it plays and the safety of the players is more important. I hope it's completely safe, sounds a bit risky at the moment. Would be horrific for the game if a Djokovic or a Nadal (or dare I say it, Andy) were to slip and twist/break an ankle and be out for the rest of the season. I just hope they've made sure it's as safe as it was before.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 03:01 PM »

I'm reserving judgement on the blue stuff till after the tournament! I like the colour, but if it does prove to be slippery, I'm hoping the players would band together and refuse to play!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 03:48 PM »

What Nole had to say about it: http://www.madrid-open.com/en/noticias-tenis-masculino/djokovic-ganar-aqui-dio-un-gran-empujon-a-mi-confianza/

What are your first impressions after training on the Mutua Madrid Open’s new blue courts?

I have a lot of impressions. Well I think I need some time, actually I need a couple of days to practice on this surface until I can give a clear judgement on how this surface is and what it feels like. The first impression is that the bounce is a little bit different. Especially with the slice, it bounces low. It’s hard to judge. It’s the first time that I’ve ever played on blue clay. I’m sure these people are doing everything they can to prepare these courts so that players feel comfortable, but it’s only Wednesday and there is still a lot of time until my first match.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 05:03 PM »

How much will Madrid tell is much more interesting to me since, you know, all the top contenders are all there. We'll see where both Nole and Roger are at both physically and mentally and we all know where Rafa is right now. I guess we can expect the least from Andy realistically speaking. And then there are others. I do like Rome better.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 06:12 PM »

How much will Madrid tell is much more interesting to me since, you know, all the top contenders are all there. We'll see where both Nole and Roger are at both physically and mentally and we all know where Rafa is right now. I guess we can expect the least from Andy realistically speaking. And then there are others. I do like Rome better.
I agree Emma jean, Rome is a much better tournament in my view, and Andy played so well last year and really should of beaten Djoko, so I hope for more of the same please Andy !!
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 07:18 PM »

If it is slippery the organisers will  have to look into this.

it could be dangerous for all the players;
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28 PM »

I know we've a few days to go but a reminder to all those wanting to participate in Read the Round, it will be running during Madrid. http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/read-the-round/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 02:56 AM »

Thanks Hazel. Smile

What Nole had to say about it: http://www.madrid-open.com/en/noticias-tenis-masculino/djokovic-ganar-aqui-dio-un-gran-empujon-a-mi-confianza/

What are your first impressions after training on the Mutua Madrid Open’s new blue courts?

I have a lot of impressions. Well I think I need some time, actually I need a couple of days to practice on this surface until I can give a clear judgement on how this surface is and what it feels like. The first impression is that the bounce is a little bit different. Especially with the slice, it bounces low. It’s hard to judge. It’s the first time that I’ve ever played on blue clay. I’m sure these people are doing everything they can to prepare these courts so that players feel comfortable, but it’s only Wednesday and there is still a lot of time until my first match.

Firstly, I'm glad Nole seems to be coming to terms with the death of his grandfather, but I wonder how it might still affect his performance.  He's very tough mentally, but ...

Secondly, I want to hear Andy's opinion on the surface.  Unfortunately he seems to have disappeared.  Still can't find anything about him anywhere.  Mystery Man! lol
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56 AM »

Secondly, I want to hear Andy's opinion on the surface.  Unfortunately he seems to have disappeared.  Still can't find anything about him anywhere.  Mystery Man! lol

It seems to be a bit of a mystery tournament. ATP site is still showing who played last year, and the tournament website isn't giving much away. It is now showing the OOP for today (women's qualifiers), but I can't find anything for the men who will be playing tomorrow I suppose. Somewhere on the tournament facebook page it said the main men's draw will be tomorrow, at 2.00pm I think.

Andy on the blue clay: "I understand the reasons for doing it," Murray said in Monte Carlo. "It makes the tournament unique and a bit different. Sometimes that's good for the tour. But the timing of it is what makes it difficult for the players. It will be a new experience."

Article at http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/7886359/blue-smurf-clay-draws-mixed-reviews-debut
[ Last edit by Elena May 04, 2012, 12:28 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Roddick has withdrawn from both Madrid and Rome due to a hamstring injury. Shame. Frown He just can't seem to get fit this year.

Fish has also withdrawn from Madrid.

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/7729391/
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »