Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday, Time - TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Madrid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Madrid

(Read 4124 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #60 on: May 04, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Andy :

"It is with regret that on doctors advice I have to withdraw from the Mutua Madrid Open with injury,” Murray said in a statement on the Madrid website. “I always love coming to Madrid so it is a big disappointment. I look forward to returning next year and wish everyone a great week of tennis.”

Disappointed but not surprised.  I did wonder what was going on when even am.com were silent as to what Andy was doing and hadn't changed the name of his next tournament to Madrid.

However, according to the above  report it's stated: "Britain’s Andy Murray, the world number four, will miss the Mutua Madrid Open after suffering an unfortunate back injury".  That doesn't sound to me like it's an old or ongoing problem but something more recent.  Did he pick it up in Barcelona, training in the gym, practising on the (slippery?) blue clay, or something unrelated to tennis?  As usual lack of more explicit information means his fans will be left to speculate.

I could be proved wrong, but I feel, and hope, that this is a precautionary measure, given that Andy wasn't happy about playing on the blue clay anyway, so why aggravate a problem before Rome which could affect his appearance at RG?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #61 on: May 04, 2012, 07:11 PM »

Sorry to hear he is injured and will not play in Madrid. Just hope it is not his sciatic nerve again if it is he could be out for a while. Ill keep my fingers crossed that it is not. Get well soon Andy hope your injury is not too serious.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #62 on: May 04, 2012, 07:25 PM »

Andy walking away from the blue dirt.

* andy madrid.jpg (8.62 KB, 225x225 - viewed 822 times.)
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #63 on: May 04, 2012, 08:03 PM »

^Aileen.. here's where I got the pic from: http://www.supersport.com/tennis/atp/news/120504/Murray_out_of_Madrid_Masters_with_back_injury
Apparently taken 2 hrs ago.  I'd assumed that was the blue clay in the background... maybe it isn't.. maybe it's a swimming pool... I dunno.. Shrug
Conspiracy theories abound.
What's going on with our Andy????
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #64 on: May 04, 2012, 08:19 PM »

^Aileen.. here's where I got the pic from: http://www.supersport.com/tennis/atp/news/120504/Murray_out_of_Madrid_Masters_with_back_injury
Apparently taken 2 hrs ago.  I'd assumed that was the blue clay in the background... maybe it isn't.. maybe it's a swimming pool... I dunno.. Shrug
Conspiracy theories abound.
What's going on with our Andy????
Whether courts or a swimming pool, Andy is apparently able to carry his very heavy tennis bag.  Back injury??  I still maintain it has a lot to do with the blue stuff and if he was finding it slippery than I can understand why he pulled out.  The fact that according to Neil Harman he's apparently going to be fit for Rome speaks volumes.  Roddick and Fish out too.  Something very strange going on.  Player protest at the new surface?
[ Last edit by Aileen May 04, 2012, 08:23 PM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #65 on: May 04, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Andy  wouldnt lie to basically the whole world about a injury.   Of Course he has got a sore back  why else would he not want to participate in the tournament   Andy wouldn't let us down  NEVER
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #66 on: May 04, 2012, 09:23 PM »

Aileen- maybe he has a twinge and does not want it to get any worse. Better safe than sorry I think a lot of the players are not happy with Madrid but weather this is the reason is not clear.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #67 on: May 04, 2012, 09:25 PM »

^ John... I agree. I have an awful feeling he has a sciatic issue that is flaring up.  I hope more than anything I am wrong.
I lived with a sciatic problem for many years.. managed to get through the day by wearing a back brace under my clothes, exercise, spending a fortune on chiropractic and massage therapy... eventually sports rehab and traction.
After years of 'getting by' I had surgery in October last year.  Happy to report my surgery has been a complete success!
Most people had no idea of the pain I had because I hid it well.. I worked every day, carried on my life as normal as possible.... but it got to the stage where I couldn't even walk.
Hopefully he just has a muscle strain. He's surrounded by people who will know how to take care of him.
IMO Andy has done the correct thing in not making his back issue worse by staying away from this tournament.
Good luck to him and I hope he's not in too much pain.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #68 on: May 05, 2012, 12:44 AM »

Andy  wouldnt lie to basically the whole world about a injury.   Of Course he has got a sore back  why else would he not want to participate in the tournament   Andy wouldn't let us down  NEVER
Sorry John (and scotnadian).  I made excuses for Andy for years but have sadly come to the conclusion that he's just as guilty as other players of finding a reason to pull out of tournaments he doesn't want to play in.  I realise he can't come right out and say he's not happy about the blue clay, but the lack of detail about this particular injury says a lot.  In the past when he really has been injured, including the sciatic problem in Basle, he's been perfectly willing to give details about it, so I'm afraid my suspicions get aroused when he goes into secretive mode.  Can't say I blame him though for not wanting to play if the blue clay is slippery,  whether he has a hint of a niggle or not, because this year is so important for him.  

Also I too have had a sciatic issue (which fortunately cleared up spontaneously), but for several weeks I could barely walk, sit, or even lie down because of pain never mind run round a tennis court - and the above photo was apparently taken yesterday.

I think a lot of the players are not happy with Madrid but weather this is the reason is not clear.
From ESPN -

The player from Scotland will miss out on the opportunity to play on the new blue clay at the Madrid Open. It's replacing the traditional red-clay surface at the event, but players have complained it's slippery and provides a different bounce.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 05, 2012, 12:50 AM ] IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #69 on: May 05, 2012, 09:21 AM »

My feeling is that Andy takes extra precautions at this time of year with the FO closely followed by the grass season.  I don't doubt he has a problem - I don't think he's one to pull out of tournies without good reason - but I agree it's (hopefully) more precautionary than completely disabling.

Sciatica..........the very word makes me cringe, twinge and physically hurt.  Waiting for hospital referral as I type...but in Andy's case, has this ever been mentioned as a reality?

What these guys put their bodies through these days is unreal.  I doubt there's a top player out there who hasn't suffered with back problems - even Fed!!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #70 on: May 05, 2012, 09:23 AM »

Andy  wouldnt lie to basically the whole world about a injury.   Of Course he has got a sore back  why else would he not want to participate in the tournament   Andy wouldn't let us down  NEVER
Andy is one of the most transparent players on the tour. He speaks candidly about himself, both his strengths and shortcomings so why should we disbelieve him? 

Clearly, it could be a minor injury rather than moderate one, even so its wise to take preventative measures.
 No player is obliged to divulge details of their health (that could have repercussions) to fans, we and the media should simply accept the reason given at face value. Afterall, personal medical details are a very private matter.

John: I love your loyalty to Andy! hug
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #71 on: May 05, 2012, 10:02 AM »

Andy is one of the most transparent players on the tour. He speaks candidly about himself, both his strengths and shortcomings so why should we disbelieve him? 

Clearly, it could be a minor injury rather than moderate one, even so its wise to take preventative measures.
 No player is obliged to divulge details of their health (that could have repercussions) to fans, we and the media should simply accept the reason given at face value. Afterall, personal medical details are a very private matter.

John: I love your loyalty to Andy! hug
thank you  hug  I miss Andy  Frown
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #72 on: May 05, 2012, 10:04 AM »

I agree with this .... and add that no player wants to divulge details of their health for their opponents to capitalise on either.
Disappointing to see some views on here, mirroring the negative intrusive media. Just think of the reaction when Benneteau slipped, - and contrast it with the reaction [drama queen etc] of commentators, Greg etc when Andy slipped on the clay (last year, I think it was)
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #73 on: May 05, 2012, 10:44 AM »

I agree with this .... and add that no player wants to divulge details of their health for their opponents to capitalise on either.
Disappointing to see some views on here, mirroring the negative intrusive media. Just think of the reaction when Benneteau slipped, - and contrast it with the reaction [drama queen etc] of commentators, Greg etc when Andy slipped on the clay (last year, I think it was)
clap  clap  Good posting! +1  !!! your are so right.    When Andy gets injured people always criticize  him.   particularly his injury last year at the FO  which looked pretty painful to me!! and when other players get injured  like Benneteau  its like awww thats awful.   I think Andy has made a really wise decision.  Do you really want Andy's injury to get worse?!  consequently pulling out of both RG and Rome.  Losing all those points!!   I hope you recover soon Andy.  Anyway you never know  Maybe Andy will revitalize himself and impress us Andy fans by winning both Rome and RG Very Happy Smile
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 May 05, 2012, 10:48 AM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Madrid « Reply #74 on: May 05, 2012, 12:24 PM »

I agree if he is injured he does not want to make it any worse. As others have said he wants to be fit for Roland Garos and then onto Queens and Wimbledon. Few make comments when Rafa says he is injured. I think many people speculate about Andy when he is injured. Get well soon Andy. hug
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »