Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Monte Carlo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Monte Carlo

(Read 6153 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #150 on: April 17, 2012, 11:51 PM »

Laura Robson was on crutches for the best part of a month, I believe, when she got a stress fracture during the off season. Then a few weeks later she qualified for the Australian Open.
At least it sounds as though Colin had it diagnosed at an early stage before it had a chance to become anything more serious.  So that's a big plus.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #151 on: April 18, 2012, 12:24 AM »

Poor Flembo... must be so frustrating for him. Speedy recovery mate.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #152 on: April 18, 2012, 02:04 AM »

Flashback: How's this for a fired-up Andy on clay!?
I had no idea he and DelPo had this history between them.... and I also think Ivan Lendl would disagree with Andy here.
btw.. DelPo retired in the 3rd.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #153 on: April 18, 2012, 04:11 AM »

I had no idea he and DelPo had this history between them.... and I also think Ivan Lendl would disagree with Andy here.

Murray: Del Potro insulted my mum

Andy Murray claimed opponent Juan Martin Del Potro insulted his mother during his ill-tempered win at the Rome Masters.

Murray will play Stanislas Wawrinka in the second round after Del Potro retired with a back injury in the deciding third set of a game also interrupted by rain.

The players exchanged words during an edgy match - some of them seemingly prompted by Del Potro's criticism of Judy Murray's vocal support for her son - and the Scot said in The Times: "I will accept lots of things, but not when someone insults my mum, the nicest person in the world."

The Argentinian had just been broken to go 1-0 down in the third when he immediately called for the trainer at the change of ends.

Del Potro was in significant pain and appeared to be close to tears but after five minutes' treatment he admitted defeat.

The tide had turned for the world number 17 after he had taken the first set 7-5, losing the second 6-4 and then going behind in the third before injury struck.

It was not the best of matches with rain forcing the players off court after just 13 minutes with the score at 1-1.

When they returned Murray was warned for uttering an audible obscenity and in the next the Scot and Del Potro then exchanged words about their respective behaviour.

The tennis was not up to much either with Murray broken three times and his opponent twice as Del Potro forged ahead 7-5 in the first set. The first six games of the second went with serve before Murray claimed the crucial break.

He was immediately broken back but overcame the Del Potro serve once again and closed out the set 6-4. A third successive service break put him ahead in the third before injury struck.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/extra/146180-murray-del-potro-insulted-my-mum#ixzz1sMFWzWun

I think that they have since kissed and made up Wink and a kiss

They have known each other since they were pre-teenage tennis brats. But, in an otherwise inconsequential match in Rome two years ago, Andy Murray and Juan Martín Del Potro swapped invective that shocked the few spectators who had lingered in the cool night air at the Foro Italico to watch two young players reckoned to be leaders of the next generation.

"Always the same," Del Potro said, referring to Judy Murray, who was sitting behind the baseline in passionate support of her son. Murray later denied using the F-word in her defence at a changeover in the second set, but what he did not dispute was the flash of mutual anger that lit up a fractious encounter.

After that first-round match, which Murray won when Del Potro retired with back spasms, their friendship has swayed between indifference and mild warmth. Del Potro went on to win his first grand slam, in New York. Murray did not. But he has twice come close to a slam breakthrough.

If they meet in the fourth round of the Australian Open – not exactly a given, as Del Petro, out for a year, would have to get past Dudi Sela, 21st seed Marcos Baghdatis and 11th seed Jürgen Melzer – the Argentinian says there will be no childish animosity, no tantrums. "We are grown up now," says Del Potro. "Is fine."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jan/15/australian-open-2011-juan-martin-del-potro
[ Last edit by Bevc April 18, 2012, 04:15 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #154 on: April 18, 2012, 07:07 AM »

Bodo has done an interview with Rafa's left knee... Whistle
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #155 on: April 18, 2012, 12:06 PM »

Bodo has done an interview with Rafa's left knee... Whistle

Rafa's knees have their own twitter and facebook!
https://twitter.com/#!/rafasknees

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #156 on: April 18, 2012, 12:17 PM »

Benneteau currently 1 set up against Melzer.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #157 on: April 18, 2012, 01:14 PM »

They were both quite young at the time; Andy was 19/20 and Del Potro was about 18 I think. I think they get on quite well now (the Montreal final 2009 an example).
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #158 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43 PM »

They were both quite young at the time; Andy was 19/20 and Del Potro was about 18 I think. I think they get on quite well now (the Montreal final 2009 an example).
Yes I think they're quite friendly now - delpo said Andy had texted him while he was off with injury.  But I'm afraid I always hold that against delpo!  Not one for forgiving and forgetting where Andy is involved.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #159 on: April 18, 2012, 02:36 PM »

.... and I also think Ivan Lendl would disagree with Andy here.
Good lad for sticking up for his ma.
Andy was boiling mad at him for deliberately hitting the ball at him.. something Lendl is fond of doing.
Good that they are now friends, but gawd that slam must have stuck in Andy's craw.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #160 on: April 18, 2012, 03:58 PM »

Looks like Djokovic is going to get an easy route into the SFs. Ferrer 3-6, 1-4 (two breaks) down to Thomaz Bellucci. Frown

Nishikori just taken the first set against Mathieu 6-4. Winner takes on Berdych, and winner of that takes on Andy or Benneateau. So ideally would like to see Nishikori win this then give Berdych a fight.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #161 on: April 18, 2012, 04:00 PM »

Yes I think they're quite friendly now - delpo said Andy had texted him while he was off with injury.  But I'm afraid I always hold that against delpo!  Not one for forgiving and forgetting where Andy is involved.
Funny how things stay with you, I have never forgiven Delpo for that either and do tend to side with Andy against all comers!!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #162 on: April 18, 2012, 05:07 PM »

^^^ agreed.
In fact was it not Nadal's inevitable drop off that effectively created the monster that is Novak? Just a slight drop, but enough for Djokovic & no one else as no one else was frankly tough enough.
I can't wait to see how the top 3 play each other now.
And no I wasn't including Federer in that number.

I don't think so. Because if that were the case then I don't see why both Federer and Murray couldn’t capitalize on it.  Why they shouldn't be tough enough when both of them beat Nadal in WTF and Tokyo respectively later that year? Especially when Andy has beaten him in GSs twice before? How do you define this certain inconsistency in Andy and this sudden rise in Nole and suddenly becoming rough and tough on all accounts, when he too had the tendency to lose to both Federer and Nadal on a regular basis?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #163 on: April 18, 2012, 06:53 PM »

I don't think so. Because if that were the case then I don't see why both Federer and Murray couldn’t capitalize on it.  Why they shouldn't be tough enough when both of them beat Nadal in WTF and Tokyo respectively later that year? Especially when Andy has beaten him in GSs twice before? How do you define this certain inconsistency in Andy and this sudden rise in Nole and suddenly becoming rough and tough on all accounts, when he too had the tendency to lose to both Federer and Nadal on a regular basis?
Well the general theory is that Nole derived huge confidence from that Serbian DC win and confidence then feeds on confidence.  I think I've also read that he saw a sports psychologist.  They are in any case temperamentally different.  Andy said recently that Lendl used to get more nervous than most but learned how to deal with it so I'm hoping that he can pass on that wisdom to Andy because I do think it's that the nerves get the better of him on the really big occasions and that affects his whole body as well as his mind.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #164 on: April 19, 2012, 12:47 PM »

Murray's and Bryan's on court now but Sky aren't bothering to show it. Does anyone know if it's being streamed anywhere?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »