Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Monte Carlo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Monte Carlo

(Read 5978 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 01:19 AM »

Andy Murray soaks up Ivan Lendl's killer instinct and sets sights anew

The clay-court season kicks off in Monte Carlo on Sunday and the Scot's new coach has him well prepared
Article at http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/apr/14/andy-murray-ivan-lendl-slam

And from the MC website
World No. 3 and two-time semi-finalist Andy Murray heads up the second quarter of the draw and will face either Serbia’s Viktor Troicki or Monegasque wild card Jean-Rene Lisnard in his opening second-round match. The Scot is seeded to meet No. 15 Jurgen Melzer in the third round and faces a possible clash with sixth-seeded Czech Tomas Berdych in the quarter-finals.

Hope the Scots are happy, even if the Fed fans aren't!
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 02:06 AM »

The main quarter final to avoid throughout the clay court season is Ferrer so I'm fairly happy with the draw although Berdych is a tricky customer as well..Melzer seems to have regained a bit of form recently too so Andy will have to play near his best to go far here. Here's hoping Andy can pick up where he left off on the clay last year and give us plenty to enjoy in the next few weeks!
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 02:28 AM »

Oh my who cut his lovely hair!!!!!
"Oh my" indeed!.  We'll just have to think of it as ~ all business ~ lean & mean!

Enjoy the weekend, Andy & don't do anything dangerous!
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 10:17 AM »

Sadly, I'm coming to the conclusion that if Andy does not win a Slam this year, particularly when he has improved in all aspects of his game and his on-court attitude, I feel that he may never achieve his ultimate goal. I hope to hell that I am wrong. Whatever happens my belief in Andy will never lessen.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 10:20 AM »

OSS, I'll give him two years. After all people are still talking about Tsonga, Berdych and a couple of other "oldies" ..... Whistle as being slam prospects.  Also, Lendl did say it would take a year.
 Also, isn't Isner 28 and look how he's improved this last year.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 10:24 AM »

BBH. OK - two years, but my concern still remains
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 10:35 AM »

OSS, mine too, alas Frown
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 11:41 AM »

According to the schedule on the tournie website, those in the main draw start playing R1 matches on the 15th but R2 matches don't start until Wednesday, although this is subject to change.  R1 doubles matches start on the 16th.

Also please note MC is BST+1

Andy on Facebook (Fri) - "Hit with Stan Wawrinka this morning here in Monte Carlo"

Many thanks for the info but where are his curls - don't like the shave cut!!!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12 PM »

I agree it looks so harsh, what a terrible haircut it makes him look mean. Maybe that's the image he wants to convey.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37 PM »

BBH. OK - two years, but my concern still remains
OSS, mine too, alas Frown

OSS and bbh...Take some comfort from this (from the Guardian article):

'He turns 25 next month and, with Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer still strong, some feel his window of opportunity may be closing. Murray disagrees. "Lendl won his first slam when he was 24 and went on to win eight," he said. "There's no set time limit on it. I think once you're into your 30s, itdefinitely becomes harder to win slams [but] hopefully I will have won a few before then."'

If Andy believes it.. then I believe it. clap
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 01:45 PM »

clap  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 03:01 PM »

OSS and bbh...Take some comfort from this (from the Guardian article):

'He turns 25 next month and, with Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer still strong, some feel his window of opportunity may be closing. Murray disagrees. "Lendl won his first slam when he was 24 and went on to win eight," he said. "There's no set time limit on it. I think once you're into your 30s, itdefinitely becomes harder to win slams [but] hopefully I will have won a few before then."'

Me too!
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 03:49 PM »

A lot of these stats are based on the idea that if you don't win your first slam by a given age then you're probably not good enough to ever win one. It's not so much that players over 25 never win slams. Nobody is doubting that Djokovic can win many more slams and in my view Murray is only marginally behind Djokovic's level at this point, so why would he suddenly cease to be incapable of winning anything? If his level is the same then the past doesn't really have an impact on what he does going forward.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 04:12 PM »

The incessant pressure for Andy to win a slam is beyond belief at times. When he is ready he will win one.
Patience is a virtue as they say. Give him some slack he will do it we should be thankful that we have a British player in the top echelons of tennis. Give him time and I mean his time not ours.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 04:38 PM »

Of course!  No doubt in my mind either.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »