Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Monte Carlo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Monte Carlo

(Read 5477 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 04:53 PM »

omg go away for a week and come back to find Andy with his head shaved.  Is it one of those bloody forfeits?  Do hope it's not a permanent change a la Lendl and that those curls grow back quickly.
Looks like a tricky draw especially when Andy hasn't played that many matches recently and of course none on clay since last year.  Was hoping Andy would make it through to SF at v least especially as I'm at home this week apart from Thursday so a rare opportunity to soak up the tennis.
Oh and OSS I think we should keep the GS predictions to GS times. Andy must get so sick of the endless speculation. 
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 09:53 PM »

The incessant pressure for Andy to win a slam is beyond belief at times. When he is ready he will win one.
Patience is a virtue as they say. Give him some slack he will do it we should be thankful that we have a British player in the top echelons of tennis. Give him time and I mean his time not ours.

Well said, Lb. And this is his timescale according to this article in The Guardian "There's no set time limit on it. I think once you're into your 30s, it definitely becomes harder to win slams [but] hopefully I will have won a few before then."   http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/apr/14/andy-murray-ivan-lendl-slam?newsfeed=true
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 10:00 PM »

^ Yeah matchpoint... Elena and I posted that earlier today on the previous page. Smile
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 10:07 PM »

^ Yeah matchpoint... Elena and I posted that earlier today on the previous page. Smile

Oops. Sorry scotnadian and Elena. Just ignore it then!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 10:11 PM »

^ T'was worth repeating my friend. yes
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #50 on: April 15, 2012, 11:04 PM »

^ T'was worth repeating my friend. yes
Indeed it was!

Djoko says that Nadal "is the ultimate challenge on clay....."

Djokovic also joked about one added advantage that he and Andy Murray would have this week, commenting on the British No. 1’s recent buzz cut. “I tried to copy him. I didn’t go as short. Well, one thing is for sure: we’ll both be faster on the court with less hair.”

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2012/Tournament/Monte-Carlo-Preview-Djokovic.aspx

It looks like Andy & Jamie will play doubles on Tuesday, as only one doubles scheduled tomorrow. I wonder whether Monaco will play doubles v Ross & Colin, having only just finished in Houston (beating Isner).
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #51 on: April 16, 2012, 01:55 AM »

World No. 4 Andy Murray enters the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters on the back of a runner-up finish at the Sony Ericsson Open, far superior to his form coming into the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament last year, when he bowed out in his opening-round matches at Indian Wells and Miami.

The third seed put together his best results on clay in 2011, highlighted by his first semi-final appearance at Roland Garros, and final four showings in Monte-Carlo and the Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome.

“Last year, throughout the clay-court season, I felt way better,” said Murray. “It started here. I had a good run. I probably shouldn’t have played the match against Rafa. I had the injection before we went out to play. It was tough, but it was character building in a way, as I started to play well again after struggling in Miami.”

Murray is yet to reach an ATP World Tour clay-court final, but showed signs of a breakthrough last year, pushing Nadal to three sets at the Monte-Carlo Country Club and narrowly losing to Novak Djokovic at the Foro Italico in a final set tie-break.

“All these tournaments are very important, with the French Open coming at the end,” Murray said. “Each week, you want to be playing a little better in preparation for that. It’s difficult here, as you can come up against tough players right off the bat. For me, it’s not a surface I grew up on, so it takes a little while for me to get comfortable. I’m sure someone like Rafa steps on a clay-court and feels good after a few days.”

The 24 year old opens his campaign against 27th-ranked Viktor Troicki. Murray overcame a two-sets-to-love deficit against the Serbian to win their fourth-round meeting on the red dirt in Paris a season ago. The Scot will take the court for the first time sporting his new buzz cut.

“I did it myself three days ago,” revealed Murray. “I just decided I wanted to cut my hair. It was my fitness trainer’s razor so I wasn’t sure how short it was going to be.”

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2012/Tournament/Monte-Carlo-Preview-Murray.aspx
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #52 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58 AM »

Andy will play on Tuesday, because last year Federer played on the Tuesday when his opponent played on Sunday

Not sure I follow your logic Whistle
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #53 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29 AM »

If I'm reading the schedule correctly it says the 2nd round matches start on Wednesday, with the 1st round singles and doubles taking place on Monday and Tuesday, which would mean that Andy wouldn't start until Wednesday.
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #54 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59 AM »

If I'm reading the schedule correctly it says the 2nd round matches start on Wednesday, with the 1st round singles and doubles taking place on Monday and Tuesday, which would mean that Andy wouldn't start until Wednesday.
This was discussed on the Murray vs Troicki thread.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 09:27 AM »

It seems odd that there aren't more doubles matches scheduled for today - though Colin Fleming tweeted on Friday that they were hoping to play MC, and on Sat that they had just heard they had got in. So maybe some players have only just got there?

Rain on Saturday meant that most qualifiers had to play two matches yesterday and aren't playing today. But three 1st round matches were played early, so I'd have thought it's possible that Andy and Troicki could play tomorrow as they are ready and waiting.

I expect we'll find out soon!

IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 09:30 AM »

Andy to succed in all he wants to
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #57 on: April 16, 2012, 09:36 AM »

Andy Murray did not mark the final day of Ivan Ljubicic’s career on the Mediterranean Coast with a celebratory egghead cut, though if he can bring the brutal efficiency to the court he has taken to his own hair, we are in for a heck of a few weeks.

Once more the tennis trek brings us to the splendour of the Monte Carlo Country Club. What has always had the feel of the start of the real business of the year has been made more significant in 2012 in that, with barely time to draw breath after Wimbledon, the Olympics will be upon us. If his hairline is anything to go by, Murray, 24, intends this to be a period of absolute seriousness.

There was a break in his preparation for what Murray called “a nice conversation with a nice man”, as the nation’s most ferocious inquisitor of princes and politicians, Sir David Frost, pressed into service for Al Jazeera, the Middle East television station, debated a sport with which he has a real fascination with its fourth best male player. Frost said he thought Murray was a “terrific chap”.

Britain’s No 1 will open his 2012 clay-court campaign against Viktor Troicki, of Serbia. The pair met in a memorable match at last year’s French Open, with the Scot recovering from a two-set deficit on a dodgy ankle to conclude one of his bravest successes of his tenacious career.
“That was a real character-building moment for me,” Murray said. “It was one of the many tough situations I had to deal with around that time.”

He will recall too, though, that he reached the semi-finals of this championship and subsequently the last four of the Rome Masters and was stopped by Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic respectively in those events. It is remarkable to note that, since the victory of Tommy Robredo, of Spain, over Radek Stepanek, of Serbia, in the 2006 Masters in Hamburg — a venue that is about to see its old centre court demolished — only Nadal, Djokovic and Roger Federer have won Masters events on clay.

Ljubicic did not manage that feat but the 33-year-old from Croatia bowed out of the professional game having won $10 million in prize money, reached 24 tour finals, winning ten, reaching a career high of No 3 in the world and serving more than 8,000 aces.

What was a great shame was that, at the start of his finale against Ivan Dodig, his compatriot, covers were pulled over the cameras around the court, so that there was no coverage of a memorable event in the men’s game.

Ljubicic returned to a standing ovation in the locker room and though he attempted to stem the tears, they flowed. As Murray said: “Had he reached the final, there would only have been one other player in the room to applaud him, so this was nice. He’s a really nice guy.” It was the day for them.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #58 on: April 16, 2012, 09:48 AM »

What a nice comment from our Andy.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 11:27 AM »

Would someone like to tell me how on earth Andy lost to Donald Young? Just look at his result today against Mathieu
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »