Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Monte Carlo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Monte Carlo

(Read 5415 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #60 on: April 16, 2012, 12:09 PM »

Would someone like to tell me how on earth Andy lost to Donald Young? Just look at his result today against Mathieu
Donald Young was playing much better last year.  Sky comms were saying he has since gone back to being coached by his mother - big mistake.  And of course Andy was in the pit of his slump.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #61 on: April 16, 2012, 01:09 PM »

This was discussed on the Murray vs Troicki thread.
  With dubs scheduled today with Wawrinka looks like Troicki's going to have had two competitive matches against a possible cold start for Andy - not good!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #62 on: April 16, 2012, 01:18 PM »

With dubs scheduled today with Wawrinka looks like Troicki's going to have had two competitive matches against a possible cold start for Andy - not good!
That's not good - hopefully Andy's match won't be scheduled until Wednesday and he can play doubles tomorrow.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 01:31 PM »

Its a shame that Andy has to get through Novak to play Rafa in the final.
Beating the 2 best clay courters in the world isnt going to happen.
Although if it was Rafa in the semi's and Novak in the final it would give me more hope. Not that I was expecting too much.
At best he going to be a foil to allow Nadal to win MC again without facing his nemesis.
And if Novak does get through Murray/Ferrer, one would expect him to be sufficiently tenderized for Nadal to have a chance.
Novak has obviously got his focus on RG and a career/golden slam so I doubt he really cares, either way.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #64 on: April 16, 2012, 01:33 PM »

Still, if Nadals knees finally gave way that could open it all up a bit 
Not that I'm wishing for that devil
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #65 on: April 16, 2012, 01:41 PM »

Neil Harman's been saying that Rafa was downbeat in his press conference, which he attributes to concern over his knees. I think he'll be fine myself, can't see him struggling with anyone in his half - the tough matches for him and his knees would be against Novak, Andy or Ferrer in the final should they get there.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #66 on: April 16, 2012, 01:52 PM »

^^^ If it was Federer that got that draw I would have thought it was a fix.
I'm sure his knees will be fine.
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #67 on: April 16, 2012, 02:07 PM »

Here again is the schedule of play:

All first round matches, singles and doubles were or are to be played on Monday and Tuesday with a few singles matches on Sunday. All second round (singles and doubles) matches are to be played on Wednesday.

It follows therefore that, weather allowing,  Andy will play a second round match tomorrow, Tuesday and that both he and Troicki will play in different doubles matches on Wednesday as well as the singles match between them.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #68 on: April 16, 2012, 02:16 PM »

Neil Harman's been saying that Rafa was downbeat in his press conference, which he attributes to concern over his knees.

I usually take Rafa's pre-tournie press conferences with a pinch of salt... but this time I'm really not sure  Think

It's my birthday on Sunday... do you hear me Andy?  clapping
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #69 on: April 16, 2012, 02:24 PM »

Donald Young's had a very weird career. #1 Junior at 16, failed to make the change to the seniors. Eventually at 21 started breaking through and then in 2011 had his main breakthrough year, rising to #42 in the rankings and reaching the US Open 4th round, Washington SFs and Bangkok F. But since Murray trounced him 6-2, 6-0 in Bangkok he's just gone back to being gash again and seems incapable of beating anyone.

I've noticed that three of the four Americans who had real breakthrough's last year are really struggling this (Fish, Bogomolov Jr and Young), not really sure why. The pressure? The break in December perhaps throwing their momentum? Just aging (in the case of the first two)?

It's a bit strange really. Only Isner has really continued to progress, and is now American #1 and 9th in the world. Harrison also starting to climb the rankings after a little blip in the back end of last year.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #70 on: April 16, 2012, 02:46 PM »

I've noticed that three of the four Americans who had real breakthrough's last year are really struggling this (.....Bogomolov Jr...)...
Isn't he back to being Russian again?  confused
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #71 on: April 16, 2012, 02:52 PM »

Hope Andy is still in the tournie for your birthday scotnadian! If he is, then it would probably mean that he's beaten Novak or Ferrer which would be an excellent result Smile

@TheMadHatter I was watching a bit of Young's match today and the commentators were saying that his success last year came when he was working with coaches from the USTA. Then for some reason he stopped working with them and is back being coached by his mother. Seems a very bad decision to make. I can't help feeling his situation is a little like Gasquet's (though obviously Gasquet is a lot more successful), where they're hyped as the next big tennis star at a very early age which brings with it so much pressure to deal with.

With Fish I think it's a combination of things - he's struggled being the American number 1 and the pressure that brings and he's also been suffering with fatigue recently (had to miss the Davis Cup because of this). It's going to be interesting to see how Isner handles being the American number 1. Up to now he's been on the upswing of his career - the tough part now will be staying in the top 10.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #72 on: April 16, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Isner although 27 has only just begun to mature as a player, starting his career after college in a strong era. He has a bright future ahead of him.
Its funny people right off Andy as a slam winner when he still has a positive H2H against Federer and is only one of the very few players that can match the world number 1 and Nadal slayer Djokovic and will probably improve further under lendl.
Its all relative really.
Length of time playing is a more indicative of a players age than their actual age.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #73 on: April 16, 2012, 03:03 PM »

My new favourite Andyism: "There's no set time limit on it."
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #74 on: April 16, 2012, 03:13 PM »

Neil Harman's been saying that Rafa was downbeat in his press conference, which he attributes to concern over his knees. I think he'll be fine myself, can't see him struggling with anyone in his half - the tough matches for him and his knees would be against Novak, Andy or Ferrer in the final should they get there.

Rafa's always pretty downbeat in his press conferences - it's all part of his pre-tournament tactics!  I'm absolutely sure his knees will be fine - at least until after RG!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »