Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Monte Carlo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Monte Carlo

(Read 5571 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #195 on: April 19, 2012, 06:34 PM »

They brought in the deuce rule to encourage the top players to enter doubles, because it obviously shortens matches.
Now Haasse looks as if he's going through, don't like him either Frown
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #196 on: April 19, 2012, 06:43 PM »

Can't really believe Nole played today. A very brave young man.

IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #197 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10 PM »

An interview with 5 live tomorrow.
Jonathan Overend ‏ @5livetennis Close
One of Andy Murray's best ever interviews - certainly different, honest and open - airs tomorrow night at 7.30pm on BBC Radio 5 Live.

IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #198 on: April 19, 2012, 10:17 PM »

One of Andy Murray's best ever interviews - certainly different, honest and open - airs tomorrow night at 7.30pm on BBC Radio 5 Live.

Thanks Craig, I look forward to that. The evening with the Murrays earlier this year was wonderful radio.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #199 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14 AM »

Thanks for tip - will try to remember to record as will be out.  I was awake during night and at end of Up All Night there was something about remember an interview between Andy Murray and Craig Murray but didn't catch when - perhaps it's tonight?
 doh just looked in Radio Times and realise it's the same thing.
[ Last edit by Ruthie April 20, 2012, 09:20 AM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #200 on: April 20, 2012, 03:07 PM »

I am not seeing this loss to Berdych as a bad loss. Andy was on an impossible path (Berdych, Novak, Nadal) and it was unlikely he was going to beat all of them, so this is much less significant than a loss to either Nadal or Nole at this point of the year. Because in the big scheme of things, a loss to either Nadal or Nols is far bigger than a loss to Berdych. The top guys are always standing his way and the less he meets with them in tournaments where the surface doesn't suit his game as much the better to avoid yet another loss to them. The only places where he can afford to meet with them are the Grand Slams, as he’s played them enough already. However, he can get a good practice out playing these lesser ranked players on clay in the meantime. I personally think that should be ideal. Lay low and take things to bigger level in much bigger tournaments.

His H2H against the top guys so far:

Novak - 1-2
Nadal - 0-0
Federer - 1-0

So that's the standing so far and it should only get better but not worse. The only bad loss so far was the Miami final but still, the ultimate goal is to win a GS this year beating these guys and Andy should stay on course. I don’t think his camp or Andy will worry too much over this loss. And who knows, maybe this was a strategic loss considering the whole picture. A good warm up before RG and avoid any loss to any of the top guys so not to give them any mental edge, because this would matter come Wimbledon as well and that's right after RG. Andy has already played Nadal twice on clay and Nole once just last year and I don't think any of the guys got significantly better on this surface since then.  
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #201 on: April 20, 2012, 03:42 PM »

Can't really believe Nole played today. A very brave young man.

Brave is one opinion.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #202 on: April 20, 2012, 04:40 PM »

Emma, I feel that you have missed the point. His loss to Berdych was coupled with his return to the bad old oncourt Andy and on that basis alone, the loss was dreadful.

In order for Andy to achieve his long-term goal, he has to prove that he has the regular beating of players of the ilk of Berdych. No excuses are acceptable. The surface is irrelevant.
[ Last edit by OldScotSupport April 20, 2012, 06:57 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #203 on: April 20, 2012, 05:07 PM »

OSS agree re on court behaviour, needs a slap, but.....as much as I hate to say it, Berdych is an excellent player, took out Fed at Wimbles remember?  Strikes the ball very cleanly and has a massive serve.  He's always going to be tough.
Also, he played very well today, very aggressive. Andy needs some tactics
against these big hitting players. Ivan, where are you?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #204 on: April 20, 2012, 06:58 PM »

Emma, I feel that you have missed the point. His loss to Berdych was coupled with his return to the bad old oncourt Andy and on that basi alone, the loss was dreadful.

In order for Andy to achieve his long-term goal, he has to prove that he has the regular beating of a player of the ilk of Berdych. No excuses are acceptable. The surface is irrelevant.

I am sure from a fan's point of view the loss looks awful and the lines are so fine against a player like Berdych, who is perfectly capable of pulling an upset, makes things even more doubtful, but I am not going to take one particular loss and make a final conclusion about the whole affair/season etc. I'd like to see the big picture and see what this loss truly means for Andy. I am at home today as I'm under the weather so I got to see the match twice. One it's original time and then it came on TV at 10am. If you'd paid enough attention, you'd have seen Andy wasn't exactly thriving for a win there especially in the 3rd set.

As to his body language being back, I personally don't think that's a big deal and I don't think Lendl is too bothered by it either. Andy can definitely allow himself to be like that as this will allow him to stay calm where things will matter the most. So in other words, it's best to get it out of the system in small tournaments. Even so, it's not a big deal because a lot of the times, it allows Andy to come back in a match - a match that is more important. I wouldn't read too much into it regardless.

Finally, it would be Andy's best interest to let these guys - both Nadal and Nole - to fight it out during the clay season. Andy will have to play smart both on and off court and wait for his chance, where the opportunity will be much bigger and he will be able to capitalize it in a big way. Andy just can't afford to go into tournaments for the sake of it having no plans at all. And even if it's a bad loss, it's still not as big as it's made out to be.

And the surface is definitely relevant because Berdych, Nole, Nadal - they all have better results on this surface than Andy, so it does matter but it matters much more against Nole and Nadal, because they are the ones who are constantly getting in the way of Andy winning a Slam. Berdych has yet to stop him and the chances of meeting him in a Slam are slim, whereas Andy is almost destined to meet one of these guys - Nadal and Nole - in a Slam. It matters.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #205 on: April 20, 2012, 07:39 PM »

Just turned in on and they're talking about rugby.  Shrug

And now football.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 20, 2012, 07:42 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #206 on: April 20, 2012, 08:02 PM »

Oh on in a minute. Just showed a preview: talking about one of the Tennis games (Virtua or Top Spin - both utterly sh*t either way), how players have these special abilities - Roddick is like "huge serve", Nadal has "monster defence", etc. Murray's is "slice master". lol

Or not. Eyebrow raise. Said they would show the interview with Murray "in a moment" but ten minutes later and they're now going about f**king Blackburn and Wigan. blahblah

Oh finally!

Andy said he was treating this tournament as merely a warm-up anyway to get used to the clay.

I recognise Overend's voice. Often read his articles on the BBC but not sure where I recognise his voice from.  confused

Great interview, very insightful.

Oh god, now you have a couple of ex-footballers who clearly know nothing about tennis having a go. "He said how his match against Djokovic in Australia went down to a couple of points and a bit of luck, clearly he doesn't believe he can win. When you look at the likes of "Joker"vich...."
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 20, 2012, 08:49 PM ] IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy in Monte Carlo « Reply #207 on: April 20, 2012, 08:51 PM »

Good interview very amusing in parts. He was very honest about his aim for this year.

Interesting the two guys at the end said about Andys dress sense "at least he doesnt wear gold lama jackets whats all that about haha"

[ Last edit by Tessie April 20, 2012, 08:55 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »