Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy in Rome 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy in Rome 2012

(Read 4799 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Oh and glad to hear the hair is growing back.  Whistle
Anyone know what time the draw is?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 11:55 AM »

ATTENTION the draw has been made Very Happy  always like saying that hehe  Roger is in Novak's half and Andy is in the other half with Rafa

R1: Bye. R2: Nalbandian/Qualifer. R3: Gasquet. QF: Ferrer. SF: Nadal. F: Djokovic/Federer   I like this draw.  No Raonic. no Berdych
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 May 12, 2012, 12:07 PM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 12:08 PM »

also Rafa faces Raonic in the 2nd round Very Happy  interesting!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 01:07 PM »

If his recent matches against Nalbandian and Gasquet are any sort of barometer, I'd expect a QF loss to Ferrer in this tournament.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 01:19 PM »

If his recent matches against Nalbandian and Gasquet are any sort of barometer, I'd expect a QF loss to Ferrer in this tournament.
I certainly don't expect QF loss, he has only lost to Ferrrer once in the last few years and that was when he was injured in the end of year tournament in the o2.
[ Last edit by michelle May 12, 2012, 06:04 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 01:21 PM »

I certainly don't expect QF loss, he has only lost to Federer once and that was when he was injured in the end of year tournament in the o2.

Ferrer, to my memory, has comfortably had the beating of Murray on clay for a few years now.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 01:32 PM »

Ferrer, to my memory, has comfortably had the beating of Murray on clay for a few years now.
oh please that was when Andy wasn't the best on clay at that time.  he has improved immensely on the red stuff these last few years.  Anyway Ferrer might lose early  just like in MC.  Ferrer potentially will face  Dolgopolov. You never know!  and if Ferrer does face Andy in the QF  I fully expect Andy to win!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 02:27 PM »

Based on Andy's recent performances on the clay (vs Berdych and Raonic) and Ferrer's record against him on this surface, I would tend to favour Ferrer.

Still, Nalbandian and Gasquet are no easy match-ups.

Dunno. He did say he was treating MC and Barcelona as a warm-up, so if improves and goes for it this week then maybe he'll play a lot better and go to the Semis. Otherwise any of his potential opponents could dump him out if he's not on form.

Going to be a telling week for Andy's French Open chances I think.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 02:30 PM »

Looks reasonably good to me and hopefully will at least help Andy find his feet again on clay before RG, without having to face the really big hitters.  But with his time out for injury I think he'll do well to emulate his success here last year.  But I'll keep everything crossed that he does.  pray  cmon yeah
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #39 on: May 12, 2012, 02:45 PM »

While Nadal and Djokovic fume over blue clay Federer goes quietly on with his winning ways which is what professionals do The only other way is to call injury time like Murray has.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 04:07 PM »

I really think it's a great draw for Andy. He loves playing both Gasquet and Nalbandian and they will be great practice for Andy, which should lead him to his match against Ferrer in the later stage . And Ferrer is the best person he could have asked for in the qtr. Mind you, it's not about just sneaking in to semi somehow and not playing any worthy (by worthy I mean a pure clay courter) opponents in between, but it's about Andy growing well on clay and become a great player, so that he can become a top contender for RG in the coming years as well. That should be the goal and with Lendl on this side, this will eventually pay off. He can learn everything he can right now.

Also, he has given Nadal a very tough match just last year in MC and was only two points away from a final spot in Rome against Nole, so there's no reason for him to lose to Ferrer again given all that confidence he had gained from last year. Though I suggest he should take one step at a time but he should be really look forward to his match against Ferrer and perhaps later, Nadal. But even if he loses to Ferrer, it will really be a great warm up for RG. So I say it's a win-win situation.

Best of luck to our Andy!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 04:44 PM »

Nadal got Raonic in his first match but I don't think that should be a problem but still a tough round match. Federer got the easiest draw. Nole's look semi tough.

It's funny how when Federer drew Raonic in his match, everyone pretty much said, tough luck for Federer. But after Federer went on to win the match, suddenly it was Raonic who got the raw deal. What a wicked world we live in.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012, 05:49 PM »

I certainly don't expect QF loss, he has only lost to Ferrrer once and that was when he was injured in the end of year tournament in the o2.

Andy's actually lost to Ferrer 4 times, and only narrowly leads the head-to-head 5-4. This includes three clay losses. Whilst it's a better matchup on clay than Andy/Berdych, I'd still favour Ferrer slightly if they do meet in the QF. It would be a great win if Andy could pull it off though, as it would be his first top 8 win on clay plus he'd be defeating a quality claycourt player. Hope Andy can recapture the form he showed in Rome last year, that match against Novak was brilliant to watch. Smile

Should be an interesting tournament. Will be nice to get the red clay back, this week in Madrid it's just not felt like a clay event at all, the blue is too much like hardcourt blue.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 06:27 PM »

I knew the head to head what I should have said were their recent matches. Still think Andy can win if he can get a good start. Against Nalbandian he lost his first 2 matches but has won all their meetings since, but they have never played against each other on clay.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy in Rome 2012 « Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 06:43 PM »

I knew the head to head what I should have said were their recent matches. Still think Andy can win if he can get a good start. Against Nalbandian he lost his first 2 matches but has won all their meetings since, but they have never played against each other on clay.

Ah ok, yeah Andy did get the better of Ferrer mostly last year, though they didn't meet on clay. On hardcourts I'd always put Andy as a heavy favourite. Not so much on clay because Andy seems unsure of his footing in contrast to Ferrer who moves and slides so well. But if Andy plays like he did in Rome last year then he's got a great chance of winning.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »