Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy & Joker body language 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy & Joker body language

(Read 1091 times)
Thevalley
Junior

Andy & Joker body language « on: March 02, 2012, 10:03 PM »

Ok - let me start by saying I'm not sold on all the psychology bull that you get in tennnis - however one thing that does seem a bit strange is the body language of Andy and Djokovic at the end of matches (regardless of who wins). It is something  Andy should be aware of when he is up against DJ in a slam. If you look at the end of most matches when Andy wins,  he puts his arm around or at least reaches out to the other guy. I've looked at a few end games -e.g Andy V Nadal - and at the end - win or lose - they tend to reach out together. However today with the Joker - despite the fact that Andy won - it was DJ who put his arm around Andy = as he tends to do in most matches.
I know they are friends but the message from DJ seemed to be - 'ok you won but I'm still the best'.

I think Andy needs to avoid allowing DJ to dominate him in this way - he should have being consolling DJ and making it clear that he was the better player - ok DJ is still Nos 1 but on the day Andy was the man and needs to let DJ know it - friends or not (I'm sure Lendl would have not been so passive in the same situation).

OK all that alpha male stuff might be off the wall - but I can't help thinking that DJ's success is built on both great physical ability but also his mental strengh (and dominance)  - I'd be interested to hear if anyone agrees (or not)

Cheers and all the best to Andy tomorrow

IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:33 PM »

Ok - let me start by saying I'm not sold on all the psychology bull that you get in tennnis

Liar
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:43 PM »

Never really thought about it TV and you may well have a point - I just put it down to the fact that Nole, Andy and Rafa have been friends from way back when.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:46 PM »

Interesting theory, will make me look at what goes on at end of matches. Tommorrows will be very interesting!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:28 AM »

It's not "arm round" it's arm higher up and resting on Andy's shoulder, that is significant. If Novak got there first, which I suspect, it will have been impossible, without an arm wrestle, for Andy to get his own arm in the dominant position!   Mark said on the Murray pics thread that he thinks it's "habit" from winning so much.
This is fascinating stuff in sport eg Rafa always goes in for the stomach pat. What the heck does that mean?
Also fascinating if you are a political observer like me. Bush always dominated Blair. Blair's body language to him was totally deferential which is extraordinary when you think about the difference in their intellects, but explains why we meekly followed into Iraq.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 12:15 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Novak got to the net before Andy - Andy turned to his box to celebrate first.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 12:51 PM »

Ok - let me start by saying I'm not sold on all the psychology bull that you get in tennnis

You've not played much tennis, have you, Thevalley?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 12:52 PM »

It's not "arm round" it's arm higher up and resting on Andy's shoulder, that is significant. If Novak got there first, which I suspect, it will have been impossible, without an arm wrestle, for Andy to get his own arm in the dominant position!   Mark said on the Murray pics thread that he thinks it's "habit" from winning so much.
This is fascinating stuff in sport eg Rafa always goes in for the stomach pat. What the heck does that mean?
Also fascinating if you are a political observer like me. Bush always dominated Blair. Blair's body language to him was totally deferential which is extraordinary when you think about the difference in their intellects, but explains why we meekly followed into Iraq.

Nadal refuses to be first onto court. What if the other guy had the same superstition? Would the match never start?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 01:31 PM »

Is that control then? Or obsessive compulsive? Johnny Mac once suggested the way to beat Rafa was to kick his water bottles over.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 01:44 PM »

Is that control then? Or obsessive compulsive? Johnny Mac once suggested the way to beat Rafa was to kick his water bottles over.

Obsessive compulsive. You should read his book - he's a nutter. Just incredibly cautious and precise in everything he does.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 01:51 PM »

^^That's a bit harsh Nigel... OCD is a terrible thing to live with and can have extensive impact on one's life.
Having said that.. when I observe Nadal consciously avoiding stepping on the court lines between points, I cannot fathom how he's able to run all over them during points. I wonder how he's able do do that.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 01:56 PM »

^^That's a bit harsh Nigel... OCD is a terrible thing to live with and can have extensive impact on one's life.
Having said that.. when I observe Nadal consciously avoiding stepping on the court lines between points, I cannot fathom how he's able to run all over them during[/ni] points. I wonder how he's able do do that.
Going out on a limb here but by using his legs?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 02:04 PM »

Oh, how I missed your wit my friend...
I'm considering getting legless soon myself... lashurst's idea, not mine.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 02:41 PM »

Going out on a limb here but by using his legs?
lmao
Judging by the comments of some of his fans he can walk on water too.
"Nutter" no, but complex and full of contradictions as you'd expect. Many are, only Fed seems relatively uncomplicated and a bit "thick" sorry to be non pc here but that's the way he comes across to me. Serves him well on the court, pure instinctive beautiful tennis, whereas our Andy thinks far too much..
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy & Joker body language « Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Both Nole and Andy approached the net at the same time. Nole took time to get to the net as he saw Andy celebrating a bit so he slowed down. If you go back to some of their earlier matches when Nole wasn't as successful, you will see he was still this way with Andy. Though I agree he may think he's the better player and frankly, right now he is, but I don't think this affects Andy in any ways.

Nadal is extremely superstitious. All tennis players are but Rafa takes it to another level.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »