Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw

(Read 6080 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #90 on: October 09, 2012, 07:20 AM »

Tomic has so much talent, which seems, at the mo, to be going backwards.
He should sack "mad dad."
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #91 on: October 09, 2012, 07:48 AM »

Tomic is playing rubbish since Brisbane when Andy met him in the semi. He has not got as far into a tournie since then, and that was the first of the year!! I hear he's getting into trouble at home, in the papers a lot!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #92 on: October 09, 2012, 12:23 PM »

I didn't see the match, but it seems as if Tomic is going the way of Donald Young.

I know it's hard, being family and everything, but if Tomic is struggling with his Dad as his coach, which seems to be the case even if you don't follow him closely, maybe he should get a new coach. His Dad seems to be just a wee bit pushy.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #93 on: October 09, 2012, 02:48 PM »

Tomic is playing rubbish since Brisbane when Andy met him in the semi. He has not got as far into a tournie since then, and that was the first of the year!! I hear he's getting into trouble at home, in the papers a lot!
He's been top 50 all year despite losing 360 points at Wimbledon, so he can't have been doing that bad. He's certainly not built on that as some might have hoped though (he himself was targetting top 30 after Brisbane) and his attitude is clearly in question. I think when he ditches his dad and gets a tough coach he'll start to show some of the obvious talent on a more consistent basis. He clearly has none of the fight though that Andy showed even from an early age.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #94 on: October 09, 2012, 02:49 PM »

I didn't see the match, but it seems as if Tomic is going the way of Donald Young.

I know it's hard, being family and everything, but if Tomic is struggling with his Dad as his coach, which seems to be the case even if you don't follow him closely, maybe he should get a new coach. His Dad seems to be just a wee bit pushy.
Donald Young is one of the most frail players up there, along with perhaps Ernests Gulbis. Tomic has a much stronger mentality than him, just a crap attitude and seemingly doesn't seem bothered about improving.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #95 on: October 09, 2012, 03:09 PM »

It is a shame that his father is very pushy. I think he is very controlling and dominates his son. It is time for him to break away from his father. I remember a female player who had the same problem and it took ages for her to make her way back. Her father went back to Europe when she refused to let him control her. She had a tough few years but seems to be improving and playing for Australia. Sorry can't remember her name.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #96 on: October 09, 2012, 03:12 PM »

It is a shame that his father is very pushy. I think he is very controlling and dominates his son. It is time for him to break away from his father. I remember a female player who had the same problem and it took ages for her to make her way back. Her father went back to Europe when she refused to let him control her. She had a tough few years but seems to be improving and playing for Australia. Sorry can't remember her name.
Sounds like Jelena Dokic.  Her best years were wasted and she's now 29
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #97 on: October 09, 2012, 03:38 PM »

I reckon it just shows that Andy only focuses when Lendl is in the house. Dani V is just a practise bud.... i dont think he listens much to him.

Andy has won many titles including many Masters without Lendl. He needs Lendl only in GS. If he loses any other tournament, it's not because Lendl wasn't there, but because he's not going to win all of them he enters and also, he's not as eager or focused to win them. His will is there but he can’t always make it to work in his favour superbly all the time.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #98 on: October 09, 2012, 03:53 PM »

I think they feel Raonic has a better chance of beating the top players, which would be a fair assumption going on previous matches.

I'd say, given their current form, both would be equally dangerous for any of the top players in small to medium tournaments, so it’s 50/50 for me. Nishi beat Nole just last year and Raonic beat Andy twice this year, but then again, Andy is not as consistent as the other top 3 yet, so it’s understood why he’d lose 2 matches to Raonic. Also, while Raonic can be very dangerous with his serves, Nishi can be equally dangerous with his ground game. I’ve seen Raonic not serving as well when he’s under pressure so that can also be a liability for him. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #99 on: October 09, 2012, 04:05 PM »

Donald Young is one of the most frail players up there, along with perhaps Ernests Gulbis. Tomic has a much stronger mentality than him, just a crap attitude and seemingly doesn't seem bothered about improving.
I read or heard somewhere that Tomic is enjoying fame and fortune too much and has lost the edge to improve - so there are similarities with little rich boy Gulbis there.  But it's always possible that Tomic will pull himself together I guess.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #100 on: October 09, 2012, 04:59 PM »

A year ago Andy Murray won the Shanghai Rolex Masters for the second year in a row. A month ago he won his first Grand Slam title, the US Open, and the world No.3 says he has not changed in any way.

“I hope it gives me some more confidence when I'm on the court (and) that's the one thing that I hope I would have got out of it,” he said at his pre-event media conference. “I mean, I haven't felt so different.  I felt, yeah, a lot of relief.  It was a big weight off my back at the time.  So, getting on the practice court, getting in the gym and stuff, has become a bit easier probably.

“Sometimes when you've had a lot of hard losses, you sometimes question whether doing all that stuff is worth it.  When you're on the court practicing, always trying to improve, you're not quite getting the results you want, that can be hard.”

Murray was welcomed back to Shanghai by the local fans that waited outside the official hotel for autographs and with gifts and also thronged his practice court as he continued his preparation for his title defence.

“I'd say they're very enthusiastic and they're very passionate,” said Andy. “Yeah, I mean, they get very excited around the practice courts and stuff.  There's a lot of people come and are at the hotel and stuff.

“I mean, they love their tennis here.  Normally towards the end of the week they get excellent crowds for the matches.  Yeah, I've always had nice support here.”

Murray indicated that the focus for him is to win titles and that getting to world No.1 was a “reward for playing very good tennis throughout the whole season”. His coach Ivan Lendl always used to say, “play well and win the titles and the ranking will take care of itself”.

“You need to focus more on the process and not so much just 'No. 1, No. 1',” Murray explained during his media conference at Qi Zhong Tennis Center. “I need to concentrate on the tournaments and the events that I'm playing. I'll try to do as well as I can between now and the end of the year.  If I do that, there's a possibility to possibly get to No. 1 next year.”

Right now defending his winner points from last year at the Shanghai Rolex Masters will certainly be a step in the right direction.

Even if he fails to defend any of his titles on this Asian swing Andy Murray will certainly not be going home empty handed.
In fact, such has been the level of goodwill from his fans out here that he may have to shell out a few extra Renminbi on excess luggage when he leaves Shanghai.
"Most years here it can be pretty hectic," he told BBC Scotland. "I get given a lot of presents.
"The strangest gifts so far have been two costumes for the dogs based on characters from the video game Angry Birds."
Pictures, he says, may or may not follow on Twitter.
Tennis fans here in China are, well, fanatical.
Continue reading the main story

I think getting to number one is a reward for playing very good tennis throughout the whole season at pretty much every tournament you play

Andy Murray
World number three
They wait in numbers, albeit patiently, outside the hotels hoping to get the autograph of their favourite player, or even better, a photo.
At his pre-tournament media conference the local journalists wanted to know what the Scot thought of the fans.
"I've always had nice support here. They love their tennis," he said.
Another asked if he would copy Novak Djokovic who, at the China Open in Beijing, signed his name on the TV camera lens in Chinese.
"No, I won't," was the succinct but well-humoured response.
"You should try," replied the journalist.
"Should I?"
"It's only one character."
"Okay. Thank you."
And that was that.
But Murray wants to return west with more than just souvenirs and more memories of another Asian odyssey.
He wants to add to the silverware he has won here at the Shanghai Masters for the last two years - obviously.
The personalised, star-spangled carpet in his dressing room, complete with his name woven in - almost certainly not.
Probably most important are the 1,000 ranking points, given his new aim to climb to the very top of the tennis pile.
With last year's big-name absentees, Roger Federer and Djokovic, here this time, the Scot will likely lose some ground to them in the rankings - barring a spectacular and unlikely collapse from both top seeds.

Murray wants to finish the year strongly here, at the Paris Masters and in the season-ending finale at the O2 in London.
"I'm very motivated for the end of this year," he said. "I didn't finish last year the way I wanted at the World Tour Finals because I was injured.
"So I want to make sure I'm fully fit for that tournament and I'm looking forward to it."
And good results between now and then will go some way to setting him up for a crack at the top spot.
That is already influencing his 2013 tournament schedule, as he seeks to bank points he may have previously neglected due to his obsessive drive for Grand Slam success.
Instead of playing in Dubai after the Australian Open, he will instead go to Miami to prepare for the Masters events there and at Indian Wells.
Murray added: "I think getting to number one is a reward for playing very good tennis throughout the whole season at pretty much every tournament you play.
"You need to focus on the process, so I'll try to do as well as I can between now and the end of the year.
"If I do that, there's a possibility to get to number one next year."

I WANT TO SEE MAGGIE AND RUSTY IN THEIR ANGRY BIRD COSTUMES.  LOLLOL  Very Happy
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #101 on: October 09, 2012, 05:51 PM »

Andy will play Florian Mayer who beat Tomic  6-4  6-0 in 45 minutes. Didn't watch so don't know if Mayer was great or Tomic was rubbish.

bizarre.... Tomic's career is capitulating... looked a great talent..he is young ..but... this kind of demise of form is a bad sign for him... if it goes into next year ..i'd say he is finished
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #102 on: October 09, 2012, 06:01 PM »

I read or heard somewhere that Tomic is enjoying fame and fortune too much and has lost the edge to improve - so there are similarities with little rich boy Gulbis there.  But it's always possible that Tomic will pull himself together I guess.

I want to know how rich Gulbis is. I've heard he has a wealthy background, but where is it from? Parents or something?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #103 on: October 09, 2012, 06:12 PM »

Tomic the tank engine.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #104 on: October 09, 2012, 06:35 PM »

Tomic the tank engine.

Oh that is just freaky! Just been reading an article about Tomic's match and that was exactly what went through my mind! I'm all freaked out now!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »