Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw  (Read 4885 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #105 on: October 09, 2012, 06:42 PM »

LOL  Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #106 on: October 09, 2012, 08:30 PM »

I'd say, given their current form, both would be equally dangerous for any of the top players in small to medium tournaments, so it’s 50/50 for me. Nishi beat Nole just last year and Raonic beat Andy twice this year, but then again, Andy is not as consistent as the other top 3 yet, so it’s understood why he’d lose 2 matches to Raonic. Also, while Raonic can be very dangerous with his serves, Nishi can be equally dangerous with his ground game.  I’ve seen Raonic not serving as well when he’s under pressure so that can also be a liability for him. 
Djokovic was clearly unwell that day (no disrespect to Nishikori) and Nishi has been very ineffective in his few other encounters against the top four. Raonic on the other hand is clearly not fazed and has put up several close fights against Federer as well as beating Andy twice. So ye, I can see where the bookies are coming from.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #107 on: October 09, 2012, 08:31 PM »

bizarre.... Tomic's career is capitulating... looked a great talent..he is young ..but... this kind of demise of form is a bad sign for him... if it goes into next year ..i'd say he is finished
Finished is a bit of an exaggeration, he's only 20. Most players peak in their mid-late twenties these days.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #108 on: October 09, 2012, 08:55 PM »

Finished is a bit of an exaggeration, he's only 20. Most players peak in their mid-late twenties these days.

Yeah i'd agree if I believed his head was actually focused on a successful career in tennis..... just doesnt seem that way going by various reports.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #109 on: October 09, 2012, 09:00 PM »

Yeah i'd agree if I believed his head was actually focused on a successful career in tennis..... just doesnt seem that way going by various reports.
You'd think that eventually he will get a coach who will sort his head out and not let his obvious talent go to waste. The question is how much of his career is he going to waste.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #110 on: October 09, 2012, 09:04 PM »

You'd think that eventually he will get a coach who will sort his head out and not let his obvious talent go to waste. The question is how much of his career is he going to waste.

Yeah.... maybe that's the difference between a Murray and a Tomic. Andy always sought continues improvement...and displayed that frustration at losing...that eventual champions have. Tomic has never shown any of that.... just glimpses of ability.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #111 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43 PM »

Yeah, MH and ABF. I hope he doesn't waste his talent. He's displayed flashes of brilliance, but I don't think he's dialled into the pain = gain yet.

It's a tough business requiring complete commitment, and he says he's struggling with the mental side of his game because it is gruelling on the tour.

Hope he figures it out.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #112 on: October 09, 2012, 09:47 PM »

Yeah.... maybe that's the difference between a Murray and a Tomic. Andy always sought continues improvement...and displayed that frustration at losing...that eventual champions have. Tomic has never shown any of that.... just glimpses of ability.
Yep. Andy's will to win and improve is such an amazing, in my opinion under-rated trait. Certainly one I have taken for granted. What he's put himself and his body through is really incredible, and the discipline he's had and the desire to get to the top at whatever the cost is the reason he is where is today. Being friends with Djokovic from such a young age must have helped no end too, Murray was never going to just be content with sitting in the top 10 whilst his friend was winning Slams.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #113 on: October 09, 2012, 10:17 PM »

Yep. Andy's will to win and improve is such an amazing, in my opinion under-rated trait. Certainly one I have taken for granted. What he's put himself and his body through is really incredible, and the discipline he's had and the desire to get to the top at whatever the cost is the reason he is where is today. Being friends with Djokovic from such a young age must have helped no end too, Murray was never going to just be content with sitting in the top 10 whilst his friend was winning Slams.

Yeah... I think many neautrals thought it was almost desperation on Andy's part to be the best.... but it seems to now be a requirement for success in tennis.... Tennis ...like many other sports has gone through a transition to peak fitness as a requirement. Its almost at the stage where a tennis player wont compete realistically for a slam until around the approx age 24 and upwards due to the physical requirements.

However, a player has to display dogged determination to reach those levels.... and Im beginning to think Tomic (along with many others up & coming) dont have that in their makeup. I dont believe you can coach that into a player...its either there or it isnt. Thats why countries can invest all they like into coaching facilities....but a real champion is very very hard to find.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #114 on: October 10, 2012, 07:36 AM »

Tomic the tank engine.

Very good clap
That's on a par with my "Crashquet"......Wink
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #115 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41 PM »

Djokovic was clearly unwell that day (no disrespect to Nishikori) and Nishi has been very ineffective in his few other encounters against the top four. Raonic on the other hand is clearly not fazed and has put up several close fights against Federer as well as beating Andy twice. So ye, I can see where the bookies are coming from.

The bookies also had Raonic as the favourite over Nishikori just last week. They also had Nole as the winner of 2012 USO. A lot of other predictions during 2012 USO were wrong. So ye, I definitely see where they are coming from.

Anyway, Nole was definitely out of source towards the end of 2011 but Nishikori is still a very good player and he's coming together more and more since last year. Raonic can offer competitive matches as his serve is quite deadly but 90% of the time, he'll lose a match against any of top players and the nature of the match does not make any difference in the end since the outcome is still predicable.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #116 on: October 12, 2012, 01:04 AM »

Just an interesting article on Andy and on him employing a sports shrink....
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/murray-needed-a-psychologist-to-end-his-grand-slam-misery-8207865.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #117 on: October 12, 2012, 08:11 AM »

I want to know how rich Gulbis is. I've heard he has a wealthy background, but where is it from? Parents or something?
Yes his dad is very rich tj and flies him around in a private jet.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #118 on: October 12, 2012, 12:04 PM »

Yes his dad is very rich tj and flies him around in a private jet.

Blimey, no grotty hotels during tournaments for him then lol.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray's Shanghai Masters 1000 2012 Draw « Reply #119 on: October 12, 2012, 12:11 PM »

So who you guys hoping for as Andy's SF opponent? I hope he faces smugfed in all honesty, I think if Cillic advances he'd beat Andy...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »