Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia

(Read 5427 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #60 on: May 11, 2013, 07:51 PM »

You're just being pedantic. You don't have to admit anything. Let me rephrase it. Would you agree that if Murray didn't reach the semi finals here it would confirm, let's say, he's not one of the top 10 players on clay? It's ok. No one is judging. This isn't a "god damn him, he sucks" post. If he's not, he's not. That's fine. But as a fan who wants to see him as one of the best players on ALL surfaces, I also want some evidence in the form of results and performances. That's all.

But you need to keep in mind that's pretty much your expectation and Andy will not execute in that manner. He will only execute as much as he's capable of. As to top 10 players, it does suggest so far Andy hasn't produced enough results on clay to claim that. There are a number of players who are better than him on clay right now. But you know, things are always subject to change and those players who are better than Andy on clay, are also the players who get trumped on all other surfaces on a regular basis.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #61 on: May 11, 2013, 07:52 PM »

gb the point behind my response to your post was that we don't know how delpo and almagro will play next week.  So it just feels artificial to me to set up beating them as tests.  It doesn't mean  I'm against analysis of how Andy is progressing on his weakest surface.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #62 on: May 11, 2013, 07:56 PM »

I definitely think Andy wants to do well in Rome and RG I don't think he's thinking of Wimbledon at all now....unless he has an specific injury he's worried about i think he'll be giving 100% in Rome and expects himself to improve on his result in Madrid.

I am sure he'll take RG very seriously.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #63 on: May 11, 2013, 07:58 PM »

Thank you for debating, or doing the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "lalalalala not listening". What is the problem with what I said exactly? It's ridiculous. Let's just do away with the message board entirely because apparently most people would just rather every single post be "COME ON ANDY" rather than any sort of actual debate.

The problem is generalising. Some will find it disappointing, some will perhaps give credit to an opponent playing well, some will accept Andy might be playing badly and deal with it in their own way. Now you say "apparently most people....etc", but based on what?  there are plenty of posters who don't think that. Maybe some will agree with your original post here. Sorry to be ridiculous, but I don't think I can add much more.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #64 on: May 11, 2013, 08:00 PM »

Maybe Playing Davydenko in the 2nd round is a good omen, considering he's the only player who was top ten at the time he has beaten.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #65 on: May 11, 2013, 08:07 PM »

Thank you for debating, or doing the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "lalalalala not listening". What is the problem with what I said exactly? It's ridiculous. Let's just do away with the message board entirely because apparently most people would just rather every single post be "COME ON ANDY" rather than any sort of actual debate.

But fans are supposed to cheer Andy on regardless and 'come on' is a part of it. You will see his team in the box does the same and Andy himself does it after he wins an important point. It's to encourage and fire yourself up during a match and fans do it for the same reason. But of course, after the match, you are free to have any sort of discussion. You can be fairly sure that not only Andy himself but also his team, family and coach all discuss his performances - win or loss, but I am sure in a much more constructive way. I don't think they'll be too keen on telling Andy that he's not a top 10 material on clay. That will only bring Andy down. The idea is to be constructive without coming off as a bit too negative or judgmental.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #66 on: May 11, 2013, 08:08 PM »

It's always disappointing when Andy loses.  I just don't see the point in turning it into a drama and trying to make more of it than it actually is.   Some people act like losing before a certain stage in a tournament is a life and death situation.  It really isn't.  If Andy had never won a slam, it would probably have haunted him for the rest of his life, but not winning a clay court Masters is unlikely to keep him up at night.   If he were that fussed about winning on clay, he'd enter some smaller tournaments, and might do in the future.

If Andy doesn't make the semis in Rome, it will simply mean he isn't one of the top four players in that tournament.  I'd need to see how he played, how his opponents were playing and the score to give a more detailed opinion.  It's not sticking fingers in ears, it's not putting the cart before the horse.
IP Logged
audie
Futures Level

my guilty ppleasure

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #67 on: May 11, 2013, 08:19 PM »

Tuesday, Davy and Granollers are on tomorrow.
thank you will keep checking for times etc
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #68 on: May 11, 2013, 08:51 PM »

I don't think Nadal's been at his best either.
Neither do I, but he's still beating everyone in his path bar Djokovic. Seven successive finals since returning to the tour. Got to hand it to him.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #69 on: May 11, 2013, 09:13 PM »

In an ideal world, Andy should be able to work through this draw but I have no idea what Andy has on his mind. I don't think he'd be too keen on spending too much time and energy on court since RG is pretty close and in two weeks time, grass season will start too. And both Queens and Wimbledon are back to back. Something will have to be compromised in the process.

Queen's and Wimbledon aren't back to back EJ. There is a week between them.

I doubt Andy is thinking about the grass yet (I am!). I think if anything gives for Andy it might be Queen's, where he has nothing to speak of to defend. That said, I still have a feeling he might do the Queen's/Wimbledon double. Just a feeling, but a strong one.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #70 on: May 11, 2013, 09:22 PM »

I doubt Andy is thinking about the grass yet (I am!). I think if anything gives for Andy it might be Queen's, where he has nothing to speak of to defend. That said, I still have a feeling he might do the Queen's/Wimbledon double. Just a feeling, but a strong one.
Think you could be right.  If Andy clicks he'll be unstoppable on Grass, even if the Smug One finds a bit of form.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #71 on: May 11, 2013, 09:55 PM »

Well unless you are one of those people who subscribe to bizzare sporting coincidences Smile according to recent statistics, all those who won Madrid since 2009 have gone on to win Wimbledon, so either Nadal or Wawrinka will win Wink
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #72 on: May 11, 2013, 10:22 PM »

Neither do I, but he's still beating everyone in his path bar Djokovic. Seven successive finals since returning to the tour. Got to hand it to him.

Nadal/Joker are currently the 1st and 2nd best players in the world (not necessarily in that order) whatever the rankings say.

As regards seeding if Andy is seeded 2 at Rolland Garros it will be a bit silly. Andy is clearly not the 2nd best player on the world on clay so why make him second seed? Its bananas. Every other top player will be praying they are in Andy's half.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #73 on: May 11, 2013, 10:52 PM »

In an ideal world, Andy should be able to work through this draw but I have no idea what Andy has on his mind. I don't think he'd be too keen on spending too much time and energy on court since RG is pretty close and in two weeks time, grass season will start too. And both Queens and Wimbledon are back to back. Something will have to be compromised in the process.

Honestly I cannot believe some of the nonsense posted here. Andy is nowhere near overplayed what with his huge break after the Aussie Open, not playing Davis Cup and relatively early exits in Indian Wells, Monte Carlo and Madrid. 

Andy will try 110% to win Rome. Not even worth debating.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy Murray at the 2013 Internazionali BNL d'Italia « Reply #74 on: May 11, 2013, 11:05 PM »

Tournaments played this year (excluding Madrid). Andy is the lowest at 5! If Andy needs to take it easy in Rome to avoid tiring himself out then he can forget about ever reaching number 1 because he just ain't tough enough.

1 Djokovic, Novak (SRB)        6
2 Nadal, Rafael (ESP)        8
3 Murray, Andy (GBR)        5
4 Ferrer, David (ESP)        10
5 Berdych, Tomas (CZE)        9
6 Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG)    8
7 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA)    8
8 Gasquet, Richard (FRA) 9
9 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP)    10
10 Federer, Roger (SUI)    6
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Reply