Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013

(Read 17401 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #105 on: June 20, 2013, 11:32 AM »

This time tomorrow we will know who Andy's possible opponents are nervous  cmon yeah here's to a good draw Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #106 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15 PM »

Along with Becker, Lendl and McEnroe, I mean, why not, they'll all be there Wink.

Don't forget Borg - the 5 time Wimbledon Champion!

But to be fair and more to the point, Wimbledon has always done its own seedings, which seems to be a part of its tradition among other things, but this time, they are going with rankings, so that's a bit strange IMO. I guess we'll find out once the draws come out.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #107 on: June 20, 2013, 01:53 PM »

I realised in the night (yes, the thought did wake me, I am that sad Smile ) why there is this big thing about the possibility of Andy playing Nadal in the quarter finals. It's to replace the 'Can Murray ever win a major' discussion.

Oh, and when the coverage starts how long are we giving it before Perry is mentioned?

Absolutely TJ>
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #108 on: June 20, 2013, 02:50 PM »

Don't forget Borg - the 5 time Wimbledon Champion!

But to be fair and more to the point, Wimbledon has always done its own seedings, which seems to be a part of its tradition among other things, but this time, they are going with rankings, so that's a bit strange IMO. I guess we'll find out once the draws come out.

They've used their seeding formula again this year. In the top 8, it's only Tsonga and Berdych who have swapped positions (with Tsonga moving ahead of Berdych), but there are some other changes lower down the seed list where players have moved up or down a few places from their ranking position.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #109 on: June 20, 2013, 04:13 PM »

Just got home to find Andy is all over Radio Times. Front page, big article, documentary is in pick of the week as 'a great W curtain-raiser' and in the blurb about it on Sunday choices page it says 'This film gives us a glimpse of his personal life and ,judging by the comments, he's a joy to be around'.  Couldn't resist putting that last bit in bold  yay
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #110 on: June 20, 2013, 05:33 PM »

They've used their seeding formula again this year. In the top 8, it's only Tsonga and Berdych who have swapped positions (with Tsonga moving ahead of Berdych), but there are some other changes lower down the seed list where players have moved up or down a few places from their ranking position.

I was talking about seedings at the higher level. Based on the past, Nadal should be seeded higher than where he is now.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #111 on: June 20, 2013, 05:37 PM »

Just checked the weather ahead for next week in London.... Looking pretty good mostly dry, not too warm and only the chance of a slight shower one day! Let's hope it stays that way  pray
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #112 on: June 20, 2013, 05:40 PM »

I was talking about seedings at the higher level. Based on the past, Nadal should be seeded higher than where he is now.

Yes, but he was ranked higher in the past, and had success on the grass. Losing to Rosol last year, and going out early in Halle beforehand, plus spending 7 months out, have given him the ranking he should have.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #113 on: June 20, 2013, 05:41 PM »

Gawd - the realisation that I'm going to get nothing done in the evenings during Wimbly has just hit me!  Oh well, best get cracking before it starts...
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #114 on: June 20, 2013, 05:47 PM »

Yes, but he was ranked higher in the past, and had success on the grass. Losing to Rosol last year, and going out early in Halle beforehand, plus spending 7 months out, have given him the ranking he should have.

I believe the organizers tend to look at the overall performance/results rather than just one particular season. In that sense, Nadal definitely has far more credential at Wimbledon than Ferrer. And it's more than likely that he'll do better than Ferrer on grass.

I actually don't have any problems with the way seedings are right now but just saying why it should be the other way around given their past arrangements.  It makes sense too. For example, if Andy were to see the same fate as Nadal last year and had his ranking fallen to No. 5, and if he were to be seeded based on that this year, then I am sure we would have had a few words about that too here - only we would have thought he should been seeded 4 based on his past performance here.  I want the argument to be fair, that is all.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #115 on: June 20, 2013, 05:52 PM »

moaner jean.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #116 on: June 20, 2013, 05:56 PM »

I believe the organizers tend to look at the overall performance/results rather than just one particular season.

What the organisers look at (following complaints from the Spaniards apparently, who thought the previous more flexible arrangement disadvantaged them):

Since 2002 a seeding committee has not been required for the Gentlemen’s Singles following an agreement made with the ATP. The seeding order is determined using an objective and transparent system to reflect more accurately an individual player’s grass court achievements: The formula is:

· Take ESP points at 17 June 2013
· Add 100% points earned for all grass court tournaments in the past 12 months
· Add 75% points earned for the best grass court tournament in the 12 months before that.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2013-06-19/201306191371633190432.html

Seems fair to me.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #117 on: June 20, 2013, 05:59 PM »

I believe the organizers tend to look at the overall performance/results rather than just one particular season. In that sense, Nadal definitely has far more credential at Wimbledon than Ferrer. And it's more than likely that he'll do better than Ferrer on grass.

I actually don't have any problems with the way seedings are right now but just saying why it should be the other way around given their past arrangements.  It makes sense too. For example, if Andy were to see the same fate as Nadal last year and had his ranking fallen to No. 5, and if he were to be seeded based on that this year, then I am sure we would have had a few words about that too here - only we would have thought he should been seeded 4 based on his past performance here.  I want the argument to be fair, that is all.

They do the seedings, if my understanding is right, based on the previous year, the year before that and the ranking. That makes sense to me, if they are not going to do a system based purely on ranking as the other majors do.

Nadal hasn't won Wimbledon since 2010, so I don't see why that should be taken into consideration.

If Andy was out, God forbid, for a lengthy period, there is no way a system would be changed to accommodate him, so I don't see why it should be changed for Nadal. The way I see it is that if he is good enough to win, he is good enough wherever he is seeded.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #118 on: June 20, 2013, 06:02 PM »

What the organisers look at (following complaints from the Spaniards apparently, who thought the previous more flexible arrangement disadvantaged them):

Since 2002 a seeding committee has not been required for the Gentlemen’s Singles following an agreement made with the ATP. The seeding order is determined using an objective and transparent system to reflect more accurately an individual player’s grass court achievements: The formula is:

· Take ESP points at 17 June 2013
· Add 100% points earned for all grass court tournaments in the past 12 months
· Add 75% points earned for the best grass court tournament in the 12 months before that.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2013-06-19/201306191371633190432.html

Seems fair to me.

Has anyone here done the calculation to see if it coincides with the latest seedings? It doesn't matter but looks like an interesting calculation from a math point of view.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #119 on: June 20, 2013, 06:09 PM »

They do the seedings, if my understanding is right, based on the previous year, the year before that and the ranking. That makes sense to me, if they are not going to do a system based purely on ranking as the other majors do.

Nadal hasn't won Wimbledon since 2010, so I don't see why that should be taken into consideration.

If Andy was out, God forbid, for a lengthy period, there is no way a system would be changed to accommodate him, so I don't see why it should be changed for Nadal. The way I see it is that if he is good enough to win, he is good enough wherever he is seeded.

Well neither has Ferrer, really but at least Nadal made the final in 2011. Of course you can argue that, Nadal went out only in the 2nd round where as Ferrer made the qtr in 2012. But the argument is and without a doubt, Nadal is by far the better player on grass then Ferrer will ever be.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »