Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013

(Read 18961 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #90 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33 PM »

batz as well as the photo of Andy practising at wimbledon remember he said he'd take Monday off and then just start with some light hitting as tired by end of Queens. So not surprising that not been many sightings so far.  Worry not!

And Jan I agree Andy doesn't suck up to other players but he does show them respect.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #91 on: June 19, 2013, 11:05 PM »

He's playing at the Hurlingham Club tomorrow as well.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #92 on: June 19, 2013, 11:34 PM »

I think Andy gave others too much respect for a bit - due to a lack of self belief.  I think he's over that now, and that's the massive difference in him.

I think this is where Lendl might have played a part, alongside Andy's own success on the court. What I think Lendl has done is instilled in Andy that he is every bit as good as those other top players and belongs in that company. The results he has had have underlined it.

Andy just looks a different player now. Putting aside the way he plays, which is obviously the main thing, even the way he moves around the court between points is completely different now. He looks every inch the part out there, it even comes over on TV.

Andy is also a lot kinder to himself now. Sure, he had some tough moments in the semi and final at Queen's, but he never got unduly down on himself. There was never any sense that he wouldn't work it out. Andy no longer loses it for points at a time, he regroups so much better. He's so good now at seeing a problem and working out what he needs to do.  To my mind that comes from greater self belief.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #93 on: June 19, 2013, 11:39 PM »

I agree completely. It fascinates me how that loss to Rosol has cost Nadal, every bit as much, in a sense, as being out for 7 months.

The thing is, I don't get it. However you look at it Nadal would have been seeded five at Wimbledon. He went back to five in the world after RG, so Wimbledon doing the seedings purely on rankings wouldn't have helped him. He would have still been seeded five. He had an awful grass season last year, and if I'm not much mistaken, hasn't won a major other than RG since 2010, which is before the cut off point for consideration in his Wimbledon seeding. It's not rocket science to me. Whatever way you look at it Nadal would have been the fifth seed. To make him a special case and give him 4th seed would have been unfair on Ferrer.

It really would have been unfair on him - he's worked very hard for his ranking, playing the full season and has earnt his top 4 seeding. I dread to think what the comments might be like if he gets seeded as number 4 at the USO ahead of Federer!

I've seen arguments based around how Rafa deserves to be ranked ahead of Ferrer because he beat him in the RG final which to me shows a lack of understanding of how the ranking system works. The thing is, I don't think Rafa himself is at all bothered about this - it's just the tennis pundits and journalists who are outraged on his behalf. But they never said anything like this when Del Potro was coming back from injury - with a much lower ranking...

I personally think it makes the draw a lot more interesting than it otherwise would be. A Nadal/Federer QF would be good to watch. I'd prefer Andy to draw Ferrer, but if he did draw Rafa in the QF then I'm sure he'd be up for the challenge.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #94 on: June 20, 2013, 12:32 AM »

The funny thing is, Rafa doesn't even remotely care. All these fanboys/girls and media getting outraged about the whole seeding debate on his behalf is quite laughable. All the while twisting the facts and ignoring the logic (like, you know, the fact that Rafa actually lost in the 2nd round here a year ago being a big reason he's seeded 5th).

Some people are using the fact he's a two time champion as a reason he should be seeded top 4. If we're going by that logic, why is Hewitt not a top 5 seed? Hell, why is Pete Sampras not the top seed?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #95 on: June 20, 2013, 12:54 AM »

The funny thing is, Rafa doesn't even remotely care. All these fanboys/girls and media getting outraged about the whole seeding debate on his behalf is quite laughable. All the while twisting the facts and ignoring the logic (like, you know, the fact that Rafa actually lost in the 2nd round here a year ago being a big reason he's seeded 5th).

Some people are using the fact he's a two time champion as a reason he should be seeded top 4. If we're going by that logic, why is Hewitt not a top 5 seed? Hell, why is Pete Sampras not the top seed?

I agree. It makes no sense. Sampras should be the top seed.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #96 on: June 20, 2013, 08:06 AM »

The media really starting to whip thereselves into a frenzy now over Andy at Wimbledon  Rolling Eyes and that's just my local radio station.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #97 on: June 20, 2013, 08:12 AM »

angie - and we're not?  Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #98 on: June 20, 2013, 08:24 AM »

I agree. It makes no sense. Sampras should be the top seed.

Along with Becker, Lendl and McEnroe, I mean, why not, they'll all be there Wink.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #99 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29 AM »

I realised in the night (yes, the thought did wake me, I am that sad Smile ) why there is this big thing about the possibility of Andy playing Nadal in the quarter finals. It's to replace the 'Can Murray ever win a major' discussion.

Oh, and when the coverage starts how long are we giving it before Perry is mentioned?
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #100 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06 AM »

angie - and we're not?  Whistle

Of course Ruthie but we are allowed Wink
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #101 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06 AM »

I realised in the night (yes, the thought did wake me, I am that sad Smile ) why there is this big thing about the possibility of Andy playing Nadal in the quarter finals. It's to replace the 'Can Murray ever win a major' discussion.

Oh, and when the coverage starts how long are we giving it before Perry is mentioned?

Very true teejay Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #102 on: June 20, 2013, 09:07 AM »

talking about thoughts of andy during the night I was trying to get to sleep listening to 5live only to be woken up by a tennis discussion.  They had Simon Briggs from Daily Torygraph on (as well as the wretched Cowan).  He sounded ever so posh but also very positive about Andy and talked about his tennis the way we would! And was saying he's the most successful British global sportsman and if he were a football player there would be features about him every day in the media.  He picked him to win W.  Cowan picked Rafa but did say he hoped Andy would win.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #103 on: June 20, 2013, 09:30 AM »

talking about thoughts of andy during the night I was trying to get to sleep listening to 5live only to be woken up by a tennis discussion.  They had Simon Briggs from Daily Torygraph on (as well as the wretched Cowan).  He sounded ever so posh but also very positive about Andy and talked about his tennis the way we would! And was saying he's the most successful British global sportsman and if he were a football player there would be features about him every day in the media.  He picked him to win W.  Cowan picked Rafa but did say he hoped Andy would win.

Simon Briggs seems to go to two extremes with Andy. On one hand he uses pathetic remarks like 'ghost injuries' in articles, on the other he can almost drool over the way Andy plays. He's a bit unpredicatable.

If Cowan hopes Andy wins I'll eat my hat! As we speak I bet he's praying to every god he can think of for Nadal. Then again, Cowan might hope Andy wins so he can jump on the bandwagon. That's the sort of thing he would do.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy Murray at Wimbledon - June 24 - July 7, 2013 « Reply #104 on: June 20, 2013, 09:55 AM »

That's a good point teejay. Smile And if Andy doesn't win Wimbledon, the next day's papers will no doubt have opinion pieces like 'Will Murray ever win Wimbledon?' If he does win, then they'll move onto 'When will Murray reach number 1?' etc. But it's just so good that we'll never have to read pessimistic articles again doubting that he'll ever win a slam.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »