Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!!

(Read 1767 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 08:49 AM »

Think I'll wait till A. retires.
Agree with IonaRed, any mention of Pippa Middleton makes me want to vomit
Yep......me too BBH! Good idea!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 09:23 AM »

Hey, I think Pippa looks good...but other than that, she sucks  w00t
So yeah, I agree.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 09:32 AM »

Her rear view is great.   Other than that she looks quite ordinary.   Not ever paying attention to the royals or their hangers-on I don't know anything about her.    In any case surely she would be there to see Fed Whistle   Andy prefers her to Kate.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 04:25 PM »

Hi All,

I've read the new book and thought it was very good.

The book does cover many of the things that are in Coming of Age, which I've also read, but this time the back-bone of the book is the US Open, with each part of the story essentially revolving around Andy's route through the tournament. I thought that was quite a clever approach, becaus it puts Andy's life in context with the momentous moment of winning that first major.

If you're looking for a lot of direct quotes from Andy this one might not be for you. I very much doubt the writer did any new interviews with anyone for the book, let alone Andy. What is obvious is the amount of information taken from press interviews and articles, TV interviews and such. I think if you try to bear in mind that what you are reading might not be strictly what Andy said or thinks, it works, but the writer seems to hold the view that if it is in the press then it must be right. I doubt it, but there we are.

I must say I felt that the Olympic success was glossed over a bit. It is as if the writer is keen to down play that as less important than a slam, but I'm really not convinced it is. Tennis is either a world sport that belongs in the Olympics, or it isn't. The writer seems to think that Andy would regard the Olympic gold as less of a pinnacle than the USO win, but I've never heard Andy say any such thing. Personally I regard them both as hugely significant, for completely different reasons.

The book covers all the usual subjects you would expect, including Andy's childhood, his relationship with Kim, his relationship with the public, including, very significantly, some stuff about the way he has been treated at Wimbledon, his career and the various highs and lows, his family, and of course the decision to work with Lendl.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 04:32 PM »

I know he was offered ridiculous sums of cash to do several books, but as others have said, would have preferred him to release one massive book after he retired.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 04:37 PM »

Hi All,

The book does cover many of the things that are in Coming of Age, which I've also read, but this time the back-bone of the book is the US Open, with each part of the story essentially revolving around Andy's route through the tournament. I thought that was quite a clever approach, becaus it puts Andy's life in context with the momentous moment of winning that first major.

If you're looking for a lot of direct quotes from Andy this one might not be for you. I very much doubt the writer did any new interviews with anyone for the book, let alone Andy. What is obvious is the amount of information taken from press interviews and articles, TV interviews and such. I think if you try to bear in mind that what you are reading might not be strictly what Andy said or thinks, it works, but the writer seems to hold the view that if it is in the press then it must be right. I doubt it, but there we are.

I must say I felt that the Olympic success was glossed over a bit. It is as if the writer is keen to down play that as less important than a slam, but I'm really not convinced it is. Tennis is either a world sport that belongs in the Olympics, or it isn't. The writer seems to think that Andy would regard the Olympic gold as less of a pinnacle than the USO win, but I've never heard Andy say any such thing. Personally I regard them both as hugely significant, for completely different reasons.

The book covers all the usual subjects you would expect, including Andy's childhood, his relationship with Kim, his relationship with the public, including, very significantly, some stuff about the way he has been treated at Wimbledon, his career and the various highs and lows, his family, and of course the decision to work with Lendl.

I agree with you TJ - the Olympic medals were hugely significant to Andy.  When he was asked about it he said that to win the US Open was, of course, amazing but he would never ever get a chance to win an Olympic gold medal in his home country again and because of that it was very specail.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 04:37 PM »

Thanks very much Teejay!I have been looking forward to hearing the thoughts of people on here after they'd finished the book.Sounds like it's a pretty good read!May just arrange for it to pop up under the christmas tree... Smile
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 04:39 PM »

I know he was offered ridiculous sums of cash to do several books, but as others have said, would have preferred him to release one massive book after he retired.

Who do you mean?The writer of this book?I hadn't heard anything about him releasing other books!There'll probably be several done when Andy retires.
Personally I'm hoping that someday,after Andy retires,he'll do another book himself.I can't see it happening anytime soon,and definitely not before retirement,but I'm really hoping for it after he's done playing.(Which I'm hoping will be many years from now,filled with glorious tennis from our boy Very Happy )
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 05:28 PM »

Looking back over my post, I can clearly no longer spell! 'Because' with no 'e' on the end! My former English teacher would have a fit!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 06:24 PM »

Just started reading this book and agree haven't learnt anything new yet, a bit about his mum I didn't know , but I never get tired of reading anything about Andy , I look everyday to see what he's doing on twitter in the papers on here , that bad isn't it !!!!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 06:47 PM »

Who do you mean?The writer of this book?I hadn't heard anything about him releasing other books!There'll probably be several done when Andy retires.
Personally I'm hoping that someday,after Andy retires,he'll do another book himself.I can't see it happening anytime soon,and definitely not before retirement,but I'm really hoping for it after he's done playing.(Which I'm hoping will be many years from now,filled with glorious tennis from our boy Very Happy )

No, I know Andy had very little to no input with this one, but he's already 'released' two autobiographical books (Hitting Back and Coming of Age are the titles I think) and I just wish he had saved it all for one mega release after he hangs up his racquet.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 08:53 PM »

No, I know Andy had very little to no input with this one, but he's already 'released' two autobiographical books (Hitting Back and Coming of Age are the titles I think) and I just wish he had saved it all for one mega release after he hangs up his racquet.
Well,I haven't read "coming of age",but my understanding is that it basically is "hitting back",just with maybe a chapter or two added on at the end to "update" the book-it's often done that way when an autobiographical book,which was released in hardback,is then released later on in paperback-there's often a period of time,maybe close to a year,in between,so then they compress anything big that might've happened during that time into a chapter or two extra,so then they can market it as not only the book in paperback,but with extra info the other one hasn't got!All just marketing basically!

That's what I'm hoping for-a glorious big book after retirement!(Might help to slightly dull the pain of not having him playing any more,not to mention the joy of revisiting everything!)I mean,I know he's got the other one out-or two,if you look at it that way-but SO much has happened since then-and hopefully loads more is still to happen!So I'm hoping he'll have loads of brilliant material for a great big post-retirement one.I'm not saying if he surprised us all with one tomorrow that I wouldn't race out and get my hands on it-I definitely would!-but I really can't see him even contemplating another one while he's still playing.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 10:24 PM »

Hi All,

I enjoyed the book and the way it seemed to lead up to and revolve round the US Open and it did pull Andy's life together but with very little new material.    There was a mention of Andy's paternal grandmother which in itself is quite unusual as it seems to be the Erskine side of the family which is in the spotlight.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 03:40 PM »

Well,I haven't read "coming of age",but my understanding is that it basically is "hitting back",just with maybe a chapter or two added on at the end to "update" the book-it's often done that way when an autobiographical book,which was released in hardback,is then released later on in paperback-there's often a period of time,maybe close to a year,in between,so then they compress anything big that might've happened during that time into a chapter or two extra,so then they can market it as not only the book in paperback,but with extra info the other one hasn't got!All just marketing basically!
Yes, thats what happend with Lewis Hamilton's book. It was brought out too early (probably to cash in) before he won the World Championship so the following year (when he had won the WC) they bolted on an extra chapter and re released it.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: ANDY MURRAY BOOK OUT TODAY!!!! « Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 04:24 PM »

^Yep, wouldnt dream of buying Lewis Hamilton,s book....have no interest reading about what he wears with all that changing of gear and would probably drive me round the bend so i would tread very carefully if anyone is thinking of buying it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »