Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live

(Read 1027 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « on: December 28, 2012, 11:10 AM »

This has been mentioned in passing in a few threads, but from the absence of discussion it seems to have been missed by most, so I thought I'd post the link to it on the iPlayer.  Going by twitter it was very good.  I was visiting relatives, so didn't get it live myself and hope to catch it later today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01phhs1/

It's also available as a BBC podcast to download (and keep forever wub), but it's an abbreviated version as they had to cut out some of the Olympics bits due to Olympics media rights shenanigans. Whistle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/5lspecials
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:30 PM »

Thanks for that, Sparkle. goodjob

I was able to access the second link, and even though it was apparently an abbreviated version it was good enough for me, and you can't miss what you never had.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:35 PM »

good idea sparkle.  It was excellent - better I felt than the Sky programme.  It gives more commentary from pundits such as Johnnie Mac but also somehow conveys the excitement better.  Had me    again.  And I loved the question with which it ends.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:48 PM »

good idea sparkle.  It was excellent - better I felt than the Sky programme.  It gives more commentary from pundits such as Johnnie Mac but also somehow conveys the excitement better.  Had me    again.  And I loved the question with which it ends.

I loved it too Ruthie - had just watched the Sky sports programme, which was good visually, then listened to this which I thought was wonderful, packed with comments and some good snippets of music. Brilliant ending.

I did post it on the videos thread last night - never sure where radio programmes should go on MW. Can anyone do anything clever so it doesn't disappear after a week?

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:56 PM »

^I saw you posted it on the video thread, Elena. Thanks for doing that, but it wouldn't work for me.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:30 PM »

What a wonderful programme.It made me so emotional listening to it-actually got chills at some points!What a brilliant year it was for Andy,and us as his fans.Here's hoping for another great one next year!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:47 PM »

^I saw you posted it on the video thread, Elena. Thanks for doing that, but it wouldn't work for me.

Glad you could hear the podcast - and thanks to Sparkle for that link. It's the first time I've actually got round to downloading anything!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 04:59 PM »

I didn't think to look in the video thread! Embarassed

I've just listened to the full thing now.  Very nicely put together, and using clips from non BBC commentary too, which builds a much fuller picture.  I loved listening to the Claire Balding bit about the walk to Centre Court and how it is impossible to not notice the history of the event and what a win would mean.   I liked that they acknowledged the significance of just making it to a Wimbledon final, as that particular record was often lost in the noise of all of the Summer's sporting achievements, and when talking about what Andy did.  Much time was spent on recollecting how he lost the final, that it was easy to forget that getting there was a really, really big deal.
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:44 PM »

Thanks for the links Sparkle.  That was great listening.  I got chills just listening to the build up, the crowd and the result.  Why, oh why do I love this guy so much?
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:48 PM »

Yeah me 2! Loved it Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Thanks for the links Sparkle.  That was great listening.  I got chills just listening to the build up, the crowd and the result.  Why, oh why do I love this guy so much?
I think we all ask ourselves that question sometimes ally!
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 06:26 AM »

Thank you. It is a great listening before sleep.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Andy Murray: History Boy. Radio documentary on BBC5Live « Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 12:57 PM »

This programme was on again last night, so you can hear the full version (in UK) for another week (starts with the end bit of interview with Ross, see below)

Later edit: the end of this programme has been cut off as well, so unless they fix that, you have to listen to the beginning of 5 Live FNL below. The ending is brilliant.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01phhs1/5_live_Sport_5_live_Tennis_Andy_Murray_History_Boy/

Also this programme about tennis, interview with Ross at the end, last bit cut off (see above)
Thank you Tim Henman for sticking up for Andy pre-Lendl!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q7j1f/5_live_Sport_5_live_Tennis_Australian_Open_2013_preview/

5 Live FNL
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q7j1h/5_live_NFL_10_01_2013/
[ Last edit by Elena January 11, 2013, 02:34 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »