Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk

(Read 4231 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « on: November 11, 2013, 10:23 PM »

A refreshing thread for during the off season. It would be nice to hear everyone's thoughts on how Andy will progress next year. Let's hope for a good year.

Personally, I see him making a very quick start to the season and winning Doha and perhaps the Australian Open. My main hope for the year though is that Andy becomes a threat on clay and finally wins a title. Also to defend Wimbledon.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46 PM »

Win the Australian Open(funny feeling about that one)

Win Indian Wells

Win a clay title

Defend Wimbledon

Win Masters before US open

Become Number one

Win World Tour Finals.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:59 PM »

I think he might start the year slowly, perhaps only getting to the QF at best at the Australian Open (though that depends on how well his rehab goes).

He'll probably win at least two Masters titles - perhaps Miami, Toronto and maybe Shanghai.

I don't think he'll win a clay title unless he enters a small event with no other top 8 player. Hopefully he'll have a good clay season though - QFs and SFs would be a nice achievement.

I'd like him to play Rafa, just to see what this matchup looks like now as so much has changed for both of them since 2011.

I think he'll win a slam again - probably Wimbledon as he's so much better on grass courts than many other players.

And hopefully he'll gain many ranking points so that he can start to push towards the top two again.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:04 AM »

I think next year is tough to predict. If he really is pain free it should help his confidence on the comeback and it could go well, but equally it could be a bit of a slow start That said, Andy seems to (almost always) rise to the occasion in the slams, so I don't know if we could take anything for the AO from Andy (possibly) not winning a warm-up tournament.

I have a pretty good feeling about the AO, but my backside is staying on the fence for a while.

Something tells me he will defend Miami. Him playing a bit better a bit earlier in the final would be helpful for my nerves!

I feel a good Indian Wells coming on. Maybe it will be Andy's turn to get the invitation from Larry Ellison. Tell him where to stick it lad! Seriously though, this year Andy did better at IW than the previous two years. If he's fit and up for it, who knows? Maybe not a win, but a semi or final would help the cause.

I always think anything Andy does on the clay beyond the quarters is an achievement. I'd be quite content with a couple of quarters, or a semi or two. Anything beyond the quarters would be brilliant. Personally I don't think we've seen a fit Andy on the clay since 2011 and that was a great year, so we'll see.

I predicted it this year, so I'm sticking with Andy to do the Queen's/Wimbles double again. Andy's back doesn't seem to have been much of an issue on the grass, so if he's rid of the injury now it can only help. I also think Andy is the best grass court player in the world now. He just has to be.

I think Toronto is a distinct possibility. It's a prettier trophy than the manky vase!

I think he'll have a much better USO. I'm convinced the issue this year was his back, nothing to do with attempting to defend the title. However, if he is made to wait until the first wednesday and is the only top player to be dumped on to Armstrong I will have a few things to say.

Shanghai. Andy always plays well there. He could have a great Asian swing.

I wouldn't mind a meeting with Rafa. Indoors could be good. I'd also like Andy to put Delpo in his place, stop him getting any big ideas. I like Delpo, but honestly. I'm in the mood for another win over Ferrer too.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:40 AM »

2 more slams.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:33 AM »

Depends on how quick a comeback he manages. Not particularly hopeful for the AO, just hope he is pain free and that his game reflects this.   Hope he just makes steady progress thro' the tournies, reaching to the semis in the clay until once again he takes the Wimbledon title. Three masters and at least one GS please Andy and above all stay injury free and, of course, be happy!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:09 AM »

Good post jan which I echo!  I think inevitably it will be a slow start to the year, semi finalist at best at oz open though I hope I'm proved wrong! I'm going with one masters before another Wimbledon win. Anything on top of this will be a bonus, hopefully after Wimbledon if everything still ok with back another masters would be good. And getting to final of WTF for first time would be fab Smile
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:14 PM »

I hope he can finally win the AO after the last 4 years of being beaten by Djokovic or Federer.

Win the World Tour Finals as it really is remarkable how many different ways he's managed not to win it.

The defeat to Daveydenko in the 2008 Semi after beatng and knocking out Fererer in the Group. 

The remarkable twists and turns of matchday 3 in the group stage in 09 against Verdasco and then the Federer V Del Potro match.  First wanting Del Potro to win the second set to Knock Federer out in straight sets to then wanting Federer to win the third set or win at least 4 games in it for Murray to go through.  Federer then got broken at 4-3 down and Del Potro held to win the match and both himself and Federer went though.

The Semi against Nadal in 2010. How did that one get away?  What a great match though and when they showed it on Sky Sports during the Basle tournament 3 weeks ago it hit home that Murray wouldn't be playing this year.

Having to pull out injured in 2011 after the defeat to Ferrer in matchday 1. 

Last year yet another defeat to Federer at the WTF, this time in the Semis and it was no contest in the second set.

Not being able to play this year through injury.

In terms of Masters 1000 tournaments, win Indian Wells and Paris.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 03:19 PM »

I think Andy may win the AO, depends on his injury tbh.  I think he may start very slow.         We will have to be patient with him. 
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 04:11 PM »

Andy and Kim to get engaged early part of the year, especially if he doesn't play AO.

Andy and Kim to marry off season end of 2014, if hotel is ready.

PS Wimbledon to retain title plus 2 Masters
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 04:24 PM »

Andy to win AO and Fench Open so he has the grandslam!
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 05:02 PM »

Depends on his back, but possibly AO (he's been in 3 finals there). He always has a good shot at USO, and Wimbledon seems a strong bet too. Not sure about his form on clay. 
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 05:50 PM »

He beats Serena and wins quite a lot of Tournaments. Would like to see him successful on grass again. Expected but not guaranteed. We can all have a bad day? That I get to see him play in WTF at the O2. He gets engaged at least. If he got to number 1 he might even agree a date - the big day at the renovated hotel of course? If he won the WTF he will also win AO in 2015.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 05:51 PM »

1 slam, 0 masters, a few 500's and 250's. I don't have high expectations next year and I don't care what he wins and doesn't win.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray in 2014 - Predictions and general talk « Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 04:10 PM »

Winning a slam is high expectation, even if he has won them before.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »