Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is Andy Murray in the Top 10 Clay Court Players
YES - 8 (34.8%)
NO - 15 (65.2%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10?

(Read 4266 times)
sickboy1888
Junior

Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « on: April 18, 2013, 04:10 PM »

I think as has happened in the past with other great players sometimes you just need to accept that certain surfaces are not suited.

I honestly think at the moment he is the number 2 hard court player and could arguably say he is the number 1 grass court player in the world but when it comes to clay he is not in the top 10 which can happen to the best of them i.e Sampras,Becker,Connors and maybe even McEnroe etc were never great clay court players

I heard that he has only ever beaten a top 10 player once on clay (Daveydenko when he was ranked 9).If that is the case then I think we just need to except that Andy will just have to write of April/May every year and concentrate on the rest of the year

Any thought?  confused
[ Last edit by sickboy1888 April 18, 2013, 04:13 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14 PM »

I think as has happened in the past with other great players sometimes you just need to accept that certain surfaces are not suited.

I honestly think at the moment he is the number 2 hard court player and could arguably say he is the number 1 grass court player in the world but when it comes to clay he is not in the top 10 which can happen to the best of them i.e Sampras,Becker,Connors and maybe even McEnroe etc were never great clay court players

I heard that he has only ever beaten a top 10 player once on clay (Daveydenko when he was ranked 9).If that is the case then I think we just need to except that Andy will just have to write of April/May every year and concentrate on the rest of the year

Any thought?  confused
Unless his performance on clay drastically improves - I agree. 
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14 PM »

I absolutely agree.  He has done quite well on clay before and will probably be ok for Madrid.. He has won Madrid but was that when it was hard court.  I so not tjhink he will be too worried about this loss as Stan is good on clay.  He has said in  the past that it is not a good surface for his knee.
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:20 PM »

I not really concerned about this loss as Andy has lost to worse players than Stan on other surfaces and we all have a bad day at office etc etc

I more concerned when I heard he had only once beaten a top 10 player on clay and never been to a final on the clay etc ever.

Can we all name 10 players better than him on clay. So far I can think of Noel,Rafa,Fed,Ferrer,Berdych,Alamagro,Del Porto and probably now Stan (0-3 on clay) who are deffo better

Anymore?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:38 PM »

Not even top 20.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:46 PM »

I think Andy is definitely in the top ten on clay.

I think the fact that he hasn't won a clay title skews things a bit for him. It automatically makes people assume he can't play on the surface, so that any time he then loses, like today, too much is made of it. However, think about it for a second. Through the year Andy plays the majors and Masters, obviously. On grass he'll also play Queen's, a 250, and he plays some, if not all, of the 500 hard court tournaments. What Andy doesn't do is play the small clay tournaments, some of which I think he would have won if he had played them through his career. It makes me wonder if somehow, and I don't know how, Andy would benefit from playing a couple of small clay tournaments in the year, to develop his clay game and build his confidence on the surface a bit.

I do think clay is the surface where Andy is most vulnerable, given that the heavy hitting and all out aggression style of play isn't his most natural instinct, and that does seem to be the way to get it done most often on the clay. However, even on the clay it takes a good performance to beat him, which is what Wawrinka put in today.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 05:04 PM »

I agree with sickboy, he is probably just outside the top ten on clay, but not many players have made it to the semi of RG. I also think that Andy is number 1 on grass now. He has always played well on the surface but as with this early exit just look at Queen's last year and his comeback at the very next tournie. I hope he does put in for a WC for Barcelona ATP500. I also agree with the comment that TJ made, Andy should play some 250's on clay because I think playing them and getting match experience is better than practicing on the surface. On a 250 he has a better chance of missing the big players in the early rounds so that he can get more match practice, even win a tournie on the dirt. That would do his confidence on the surface no harm at all!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:17 PM »

I don't see Andy in the top 10 at all. Not even top 20 to be honest. He still has a few many things to achieve before he makes the top 10. He'll get there too.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 05:38 PM »

Okay, let me put it another way. If Andy isn't in the top ten on clay how do you account for him getting to the semi's at the French in 2011, and doing the same in Monte Carlo, and (if I recall) Rome as well? His draws can't have been that favourable in all of the tournaments. He's never that lucky. I seem to remember in Rome in 2011 Andy nearly beat Djokovic, when Djokovic was having that great long run of wins, and no, Djokovic wasn't injured at the time. He also took it to Nadal in Monte Carlo that year.

I might be missing the point, but if Andy wasn't in the top ten on clay I don't see that he would be in the top five in the game. To be that high in the rankings you have to be pretty consistent week in, week out, especially in this era. Andy doesn't play a lot of tournaments purely to keep his ranking up. He doesn't need to.

I'm not saying, by the way, that clay is Andy's most natural surface, it clearly isn't, but I think the fact that he has no clay titles is a red-herring. If Andy played one or two 250s on clay a year, if he could fit them in of course, I don't think there would be any question of his results.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 05:45 PM »

Andy has to make consistent runs as far as all those clay tournaments go including RG. We can't be selective and say he's not so bad on clay. He's not actually but he's not very consistent either. Andy so far has no title on clay.

Sampras was No. 1 for 6 straight years but he was probably out of top 20 on clay in those same years. He was just consistently better on all there surfaces which amount to at least 70% of the whole tour.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 05:46 PM »

If Andy isn't in the top ten on clay how do you account for him getting to the semi's at the French in 2011

Kind draw. In fact, he was permitted to play my nan five times.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 05:54 PM »

I wondered if some of you might have thought he'd played me, a woman, disabled, and no hand-eye coordination whatsoever, but I'll step back for your Nan. I bet 5 5-setters was tough for the old girl though :p

Seriously though, if some of his fans are convinced that he doesn't belong in the top ten, or even the top 20 on a surface, yet he's in the top three in the world, it isn't just the time violation that is a farce is it? Surely the rankings need a look at as well.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 05:58 PM »

lmao
But unkind  naughty
Not in top 10 at the mo., but will wait till end of the season before setting this in stone.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 06:05 PM »

I wondered if some of you might have thought he'd played me, a woman, disabled, and no hand-eye coordination whatsoever, but I'll step back for your Nan. I bet 5 5-setters was tough for the old girl though :p

Seriously though, if some of his fans are convinced that he doesn't belong in the top ten, or even the top 20 on a surface, yet he's in the top three in the world, it isn't just the time violation that is a farce is it? Surely the rankings need a look at as well.

Why should that be? At least 70% of Nadal's success is on clay. If you take that away, he's left with mostly nothing including his ranking. It doesn't matter if a player is not as good on one surface as long as he can maximize his effort everywhere else. It's a perfectly legitimate scenario. No rule saying each top player has to be a great player on all surfaces. Borg was never good on hard for example.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 06:05 PM »

Okay, let me put it another way. If Andy isn't in the top ten on clay how do you account for him getting to the semi's at the French in 2011, and doing the same in Monte Carlo, and (if I recall) Rome as well? His draws can't have been that favourable in all of the tournaments. He's never that lucky. I seem to remember in Rome in 2011 Andy nearly beat Djokovic, when Djokovic was having that great long run of wins, and no, Djokovic wasn't injured at the time. He also took it to Nadal in Monte Carlo that year.

I might be missing the point, but if Andy wasn't in the top ten on clay I don't see that he would be in the top five in the game. To be that high in the rankings you have to be pretty consistent week in, week out, especially in this era. Andy doesn't play a lot of tournaments purely to keep his ranking up. He doesn't need to.

I'm not saying, by the way, that clay is Andy's most natural surface, it clearly isn't, but I think the fact that he has no clay titles is a red-herring. If Andy played one or two 250s on clay a year, if he could fit them in of course, I don't think there would be any question of his results.
He's regressed since then.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »