Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is Andy Murray in the Top 10 Clay Court Players
YES - 8 (34.8%)
NO - 15 (65.2%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10?

(Read 4495 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 06:08 PM »

He's regressed since then.
He always regresses before he takes a leap forward.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 06:11 PM »

Let's see who is in the top ten then: Rafa, Fed, Nole, Ferrer, Delpotro, Berdych. Wawa? Who else?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 06:13 PM »

I think a better list would be to see who Andy has won against on clay as far as top 20 goes.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 06:13 PM »

Let's see who is in the top ten then: Rafa, Fed, Nole, Ferrer, Delpotro, Berdych. Wawa? Who else?

I rest my case M'lud.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 06:14 PM »

Lol teejay Smile I would be interested to see whose in people's top 10 though.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 06:15 PM »

I rest my case M'lud.
Gasquet, Almagro, Tsonga, Tipsarevic, Bellucci, Raonic, off the top of my head.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Gasquet, Almagro, Tsonga, Tipsarevic, Bellucci, Raonic, off the top of my head.

Have any of these been as far as the semi's at the French, just out of interest? Any of them done the same in a clay Masters?

I'll go with these though, for now, and think of this Monte Carlo. I've lost track of Gasquet and Almagro. Tsonga was handed a match by Meltzer today. Meltzer was worse than Andy. Tipsy lost to Dimitrov the other day. Is Belluci still in it? Oh, and Raonic......Gone.

All I'm saying is that yes, Andy struggles more on clay than on grass and hard. That's obvious. But to suggest he isn't in the top ten, or even 20 on the surface is, in my view, wrong.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Id say he is in the top 10.... but if you wanna knee jerk reaction to todays sub par performance from Andy ..then he isnt.

Common folks & settle pettle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Hasn't Andy beaten Gasquet on clay?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 06:36 PM »

Hasn't Andy beaten Gasquet on clay?
He's lost to him as well. And Raonic. And Bellucci.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Truthfully, I have no idea where he is, and it's utterly impossible to say. He doesn't play anywhere near enough tournaments to get a fair gauge of where he stands compared to other players and every tennis player (bar Nadal and Djokovic) blows so hot and cold that it's impossible to form any sort of order as to who ranks where.

Closest you get is to put them into groups. Nadal and Djokovic group 1, Federer, Del Potro, Ferrer and Berdych probably group 2. I would say Andy is in a third group with the likes of Gasquet, Tsonga, Raonic, Almagro, etc.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 07:24 PM »

I'd say Andy was in top 10 clay players two years ago; clearly not last year; and too early to say this year.
 Given he is trying to preserve energy and his body for the next few months when very few gaps in the schedule, I'm not sure there's much to be said for playing extra small tournaments to improve his clay game (though still think a WC for Barca next week would be a good idea if he's not ill, having played only 2 short matches here).  If Andy can dominate on hard courts and grass he just needs to do ok on clay rather than excel, Clearly today wasn't ok but there's still time this season.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 07:31 PM »

Have any of these been as far as the semi's at the French, just out of interest? Any of them done the same in a clay Masters?

I'll go with these though, for now, and think of this Monte Carlo. I've lost track of Gasquet and Almagro. Tsonga was handed a match by Meltzer today. Meltzer was worse than Andy. Tipsy lost to Dimitrov the other day. Is Belluci still in it? Oh, and Raonic......Gone.

All I'm saying is that yes, Andy struggles more on clay than on grass and hard. That's obvious. But to suggest he isn't in the top ten, or even 20 on the surface is, in my view, wrong.
I agree with you, and just can't believe the way over the top reaction by some, but I suppose I shouldn't be as this quite normal. Berdych lost today, so did Del Potro, and Stan was right on the top of his game so that did not allow Andy time to work his way in. If I can also add Nole lost in Miami and in Indian Wells and he is rated one of the best hard court players. It happens,they are human not superman.
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 07:51 PM »

No over the top reaction. Andy still in top 2 on other surfaces. Just having an interesting debate about where he ranks in clay.

For the record below is last years ATP Official Clay Rankings after the 2012 French Open. Think probably about right. I know some will say that some players are higher cause they play more tournaments etc but they play more tournaments because the are Clay Court Players etc.Also some of these players get tougher draws at the French Open than the would if we just had a Clay Court ranking system and Andy perhaps get a slightly easier draw than his clay court ranking suggests he deserves..

By the way I am a big big Andy fan and am know way knocking him if anything I am trying to highlight how we just got to take any results on Clay as bonus and also how well he did in reaching the semi finals on this surface 2 years ago.

1,Rafael Nadal 4590
2.Novak Djokovic 2580
3.David Ferrer 2320
4.Roger Federer 2080
5.Tomas Berdych 1320
6.Nicolas Alamgro 1165
7.Juan Martin Del Porto 1060
8.Fernando Verdasco 950
9.Gilles Simon 900
9.Stan Wawrinka 900
11.Jo-Wilfred Tonga 810
12.Juan Monaco 800
13.Andreas Seppi 745
14.Janko Tipsarevic 730
15.ANDY MURRAY 720
16.Richard Gasquet 600
17.Marinc Cilic 385
18.Philip Kohlshhreibic 360
19.Feliciano Lopez 335
20.Alex Dlogopolov 325
[ Last edit by sickboy1888 April 18, 2013, 08:21 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 07:52 PM »

If you look at the top 30 players toady, apart from Andy and Tsonga (not counting players like Raonic, Nishikori, Janowicz etc.), almost all of them have won at least 1 clay title. Granted, not all of them have the same credential as Andy, but given that he’s been on the tour for a while now, I’d say at least early in his career, he could have won maybe a couple of small clay tournaments.

But anyway, his priorities have always been different and Andy has the record of going out of Masters on hard courts in early rounds as well, so in that sense, it really doesn’t reflect his true sense of clay.

All in all I’d say Andy hasn’t been building his case on clay. He has to be very consistent on any surface and he doesn’t have that on clay. His 2011 year season on clay is the only evidence we have in hand to go by so far and personally, I don’t think that’s enough. However, this is all subject to change.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »