Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is Andy Murray in the Top 10 Clay Court Players
YES - 8 (34.8%)
NO - 15 (65.2%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10?

(Read 4835 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 09:49 AM »

Yeah thats a fair point regarding Andy playing the smaller comps to build some confidence. Losing at any level has mostly a negative impact...

Even Nadal has used the smaller comps to build his confidence back...on clay. If its good enough for him it should be good enough for Andy.
Nadal used the smaller tournaments partly because they are kinder to his knees.  Clay is awful for Andy's knee problem, which is one reason he plays badly on clay.  I don't think there would have been any virtue in expending energy on minor clay tournaments when he is thinking longer term about how to preserve his body for the rest of his playing career. That said, like others, I wish he was playing Barca after having had only 2 short matches on clay in MC. 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 01:43 PM »

Clay is a natural surface and shouldn't be hard on the knee. It's the hard courts that are tough on knees. So I don't think that is it. Not all surfaces come naturally to everyone. Even Federer is not all that great on clay compared to his other success on other surfaces. And his record against Nadal speaks volume. It’s very rare to find a player who’s equally great on all surfaces. I don’t think technically that is possible.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean April 19, 2013, 05:22 PM ] IP Logged
Ismail

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 02:13 PM »

Hello. I've been looking at the forums on murraysworld for a few years now, and I have never felt the need the need to subscribe to contribute to discussions. However, this thread has enraged me and I feel I should enlighten people to my opinion.

Firstly, Murray is definitely a top 8 clay courter, UNDOUBTEDLY. Do people realise that no matter how many 250 clay tournaments Almagro wins he will never be a consistent top 10 player? Murray has been EXTREMELY unlucky over the past few years on the red dirt. Starting from 2009, where he had real expectations to do well on clay, I think we can all agree Murray's game was incomplete. I mean it baffles me as to how Murray attained the number 2 spot without a forehand and a second serve. So I justify murrays 2009 campaign failure (to some extent) to his lack of maturity. Generally speaking, the sane goes for 2010. Although that was slightly different given Murray's mental state after the loss to Federer. Not to mention the wet clay he played on against Berdych! I hear people constantly claiming 'they were playing on the SAME surfaxe. People, this does NOT negate the fact that people should not play on wet clay. The covers should have been put up instantaneously.

For 2011, I mean Nadal in Monte Carlo was a great match. Murray having an elbow tweak in the third ruined the outcome of the match. And I need not mention he was playing RAFAEL NADAL. At Rome, Murray to me proved that he can play GREAT on clay. As he matched , what was in my opinion, Djokovics second best performance of his 2011 season. Djokovic was the greater player mentally and he escaped from Murray in that match and it was NOT down to quality in the end. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Murray went toe to toe with a man having the greatest year the tennis world has ever seen (even greater than McEnroe's year).

I would just like to say, given that Murray plays 3-4 clay tournaments a year, it is difficult for him to remain consistent on the surface. I haven't mentioned 2012 due to simple fact that I believe we can all agree he was injured. The same for the French Open 2011.

Murray may only do well in EITHER Madrid or Rome this year. For some reason he chooses which tournaments he plays well on. As we seen yesterday, Murray didn't really care and didn't fight at all. I'm sure he has something up his sleeve. Murray will prove many of you wrong in the French this year. Mark my words. You'll see me as the murraysworld Guru in a few months time.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 02:26 PM »

Reaching semi and quarters at French Open well our Andy has cause quite a few upsets for not being a top 10 player on clay.  clap
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #49 on: April 19, 2013, 02:35 PM »

As we seen yesterday, Murray didn't really care..

welcome

You think Andy didn't care?
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 02:36 PM »

Hello. I've been looking at the forums on murraysworld for a few years now, and I have never felt the need the need to subscribe to contribute to discussions. However, this thread has enraged me and I feel I should enlighten people to my opinion.

Firstly, Murray is definitely a top 8 clay courter, UNDOUBTEDLY. Do people realise that no matter how many 250 clay tournaments Almagro wins he will never be a consistent top 10 player? Murray has been EXTREMELY unlucky over the past few years on the red dirt. Starting from 2009, where he had real expectations to do well on clay, I think we can all agree Murray's game was incomplete. I mean it baffles me as to how Murray attained the number 2 spot without a forehand and a second serve. So I justify murrays 2009 campaign failure (to some extent) to his lack of maturity. Generally speaking, the sane goes for 2010. Although that was slightly different given Murray's mental state after the loss to Federer. Not to mention the wet clay he played on against Berdych! I hear people constantly claiming 'they were playing on the SAME surfaxe. People, this does NOT negate the fact that people should not play on wet clay. The covers should have been put up instantaneously.

For 2011, I mean Nadal in Monte Carlo was a great match. Murray having an elbow tweak in the third ruined the outcome of the match. And I need not mention he was playing RAFAEL NADAL. At Rome, Murray to me proved that he can play GREAT on clay. As he matched , what was in my opinion, Djokovics second best performance of his 2011 season. Djokovic was the greater player mentally and he escaped from Murray in that match and it was NOT down to quality in the end. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Murray went toe to toe with a man having the greatest year the tennis world has ever seen (even greater than McEnroe's year).

I would just like to say, given that Murray plays 3-4 clay tournaments a year, it is difficult for him to remain consistent on the surface. I haven't mentioned 2012 due to simple fact that I believe we can all agree he was injured. The same for the French Open 2011.

Murray may only do well in EITHER Madrid or Rome this year. For some reason he chooses which tournaments he plays well on. As we seen yesterday, Murray didn't really care and didn't fight at all. I'm sure he has something up his sleeve. Murray will prove many of you wrong in the French this year. Mark my words. You'll see me as the murraysworld Guru in a few months time.
I shouldn't get to enraged at the end of the day all we all want for Andy is to win and do well whatever we may have to say about the way he's playing at any particular time. welcome
IP Logged
Ismail

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 02:43 PM »

Thanks for the welcome people! Enraged is a powerful word I agree. I'm just a big fan of Murray and tennis in general. Murray BTW, seems to have adopted this strange methodology of not performing in masters to prepare for slams. I mean he has reached the last 3 Major slams final (not to forget the Olympics can make it four). During that time span he has only reached two finals in Masters events and has one won in Miami. Coindience you guys think? When I seen his yesterday hitting 150kmh first serves, I realised it was the old Murray/Lendl plan. I don't know that's just my opinion. :-)
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 02:48 PM »

Welcome Ismail.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 02:48 PM »

Maybe Andy is trying to bring his odds of winning the French down, so he can put a bet on himself and win a load of money :PP
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 03:03 PM »

I didn't get to watch the match yesterday as I was out, didn't watch the highlights no point being as Andy lost. I was not surprised that Andy lost to Stan,after all clay is Stans favorite surface and he's played a lot of his tennis on the red stuff so far this year compared to Andy. Im more interested in seeing how well Andy performs going forward. If he does well at RG and Wimbledon this loss will mean nothing. And Andy had only just won a 1000 masters before coming to MC.So all's well at the moment. The time for us to start worrying is if the losses started to become a habit.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 03:13 PM »

Clay is a natural surface and shouldn't be hard on the knee. It's the hard courts that are tough on knees. So I don't think that is it. Not all surfaces come naturally to everyone. Even Federer is not all that great on clay compared to his other success on other surfaces. And his record against Nadal on speaks volume. It’s very rare to find a player who’s equally great on all surfaces. I don’t think technically that is possible.
Uh, Djokovic, Nadal?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 03:18 PM »

Welcome Ismail. I think you make a lot of very good, fair points. I'd forgotten all about Andy's elbow tweak against Nadal in MC in 2011, but as you mentioned it it's replaying in my mind. Ouch! As for Djokovic in Rome, you're spot on. Andy so nearly had him. I remember applauding the TV when it was over, because Andy put up one hell of a fight.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Andy didn't care yesterday. I think he did. However, I would say he was flat. He just didn't seem to lift himself or get himself going when he needed to.

I also agree with Caroline. The time for us to worry is if the losses become a habit. Seeing as Andy has 3 all year I don't think the sack-cloth and ashes need to come out yet, and Lendl won't be putting him on the naughty chair any time soon. I still think think Andy is going to surprise people on the clay this year.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 03:23 PM »

Clay is a natural surface and shouldn't be hard on the knee.

I would have thought that depends on the nature of the problem the knee has. Either way, Andy openly admits that he finds the transition between any surface and another difficult, because of his knee problem.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 03:41 PM »

Uh, Djokovic, Nadal?

You think they both have equally great results on all surfaces? Clay, grass and hard? Nadal is definitely far better on clay than Nole and Nole is far better than Nadal on hard. Nole is not as good on grass as he is on hard. Nadal is not as good on hard despite a couple of GSs. Also the current field is a factor and the match up issue that Federer has against Nadal. But far more importantly, all the surfaces are nowadays playing at similar rate and that's helping players like Nadal, Nole etc.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #59 on: April 19, 2013, 03:49 PM »

But there are even fewer grass tournaments and yet, Andy doesn't have any problems winning Queens and making a consistent appearance at Wimbledon.

So far I believe we are grasping at straws here. This is not Andy’s best surface by any means or favourite and it most certainly doesn’t come naturally to him. He will just have to adopt a game that will produce the best result on clay and I believe that’s a work in progress. All in all, Andy won’t be able to excel at similar rate on all hard, grass and clay. One of them will be compromised and that’s clay if it’s not already. He will just have to pay far more effort when it comes to clay. I personally feel he’ll see significant improvement on clay but it hasn’t happened yet. Right now we are banking on his 2011 season a bit much. Just because Nole won Wimbledon in 2011 doesn't mean he's excellent on grass and he got beaten 3 times by Nadal on clay just last year.  
[ Last edit by Emma Jean April 19, 2013, 05:24 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »