Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is Andy Murray in the Top 10 Clay Court Players
YES - 8 (34.8%)
NO - 15 (65.2%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10?

(Read 4409 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #90 on: April 22, 2013, 11:19 AM »

FCR avoid confusion by remembering that Bignose has a tendency to sarcasm.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #91 on: April 22, 2013, 11:41 AM »

Andy played for 3 years on clay in Spain when growing up and he's played in every clay court series since turning pro (except when he got injured in Hamburg?) and he needs to be told to hit the ball harder on clay? Jeez I could have told him that.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #92 on: April 22, 2013, 12:03 PM »

And yet Nadal (arguably the greatest ever clay court player) has been succesful due to sublime defensive skills, high moonballing returns and usage of heavy top and side spin.

Maybe this was what Andy was trying too emulate, but considering the success that comes from being aggressive against Rafa, as proved by Nole in the final, is now the key, hitting through the court seems to be the only way to dismantle clay court players.
[ Last edit by The Gnome April 22, 2013, 12:06 PM ] IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #93 on: April 22, 2013, 02:36 PM »

but Nadal crushes the ball with his forehand. Yes it has a huge bounce because the forward spin but he does give it everything he has got.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #94 on: April 22, 2013, 05:16 PM »

Daily Mail article this morning discussing how Andy's team are telling him he has to hit the ball harder on clay because the clay slows the ball down. If he hits it too soft it sits up and the likes of Stan can "kill him". Since this is the first time Andy has ever played on clay (in fact he's never even seen a clay court before)  I think we should give him a bit of lee-way. You can't learn to play on clay over-night after all.

And how does Daily Mail know about that?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #95 on: April 22, 2013, 05:26 PM »

Every time Nole was aggressive, it paid off. And that was yesterday. But Nole played with lot of accuracy as well and kept Nadal off balance, so that it wouldn’t allow Nadal to hit a perfect forehand shot. Nadal was soundly beaten yesterday despite serving a high percentage of 1st serve. But the key for Nole was to play aggressive. The moment he went back to the passive mode, the moment Nadal was all over him dictating the points. Since Andy plays almost a similar game to Nole, perhaps for him too that would be the strategy. Miami is apparently slower than RG and Andy did have to play players like Gasquet, Ferrer etc. there who are pretty good on clay, so I think the slowness of the surface isn’t going to be as big a deal. 
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #96 on: April 22, 2013, 07:41 PM »

And how does Daily Mail know about that?
If it's the Mail, they don't always bother to know stuff before they print it.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #97 on: April 23, 2013, 05:12 PM »

BigNose clearly thinks it to be true. Because his report was based on the Daily Mail.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #98 on: April 23, 2013, 09:41 PM »

Hit the ball harder Andy!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #99 on: April 24, 2013, 07:06 AM »

^ Lol! Look out Lendl....
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #100 on: April 24, 2013, 05:31 PM »

Hit the ball harder Andy!

Yes, I am sure Lendl and gang called up Daily Mail and told them, "we have decided to hit the ball harder. Please spread this news to everyone."
IP Logged
sickboy1888
Junior

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #101 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11 PM »

Sorry to bring this up again but yet again Andy has failed to beat a top 10 player on clay. confused

Roll on the Grass Court season I say  yay yay yay yay yay
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #102 on: May 11, 2013, 12:29 AM »

The frustrating thing is he has been close so many times, not least the match against Novak in Rome 2 years ago, a lot of his matches on clay against top ten have been close affairs, surely some time soon this horrible red dirt will give him some pleasure.
IP Logged
Ghostbuster
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #103 on: May 11, 2013, 12:42 AM »

No. At least not these past two years. It's very disappointing because he looked pretty close to doing something in 2011. It might have been insignificant, but I wonder how his game might have progressed if he served it out against Djokovic in Rome. Certainly wouldn't have hurt his belief.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy Murray on Clay.Is he in the top 10? « Reply #104 on: May 11, 2013, 01:54 AM »

I think 2012 has ruined it a bit since he was more focused on winning a Slam and the progress  on clay he was making took a temporary stop. It seems we have to let this year go as well though I wouldn't write RG totally off. As I said, his best on clay is yet to come.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »