Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November)

(Read 15796 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #90 on: October 27, 2012, 09:32 AM »

Well it is a certainty that Andy will not play until at least Wednesday. Mathieu may lose to the qualifier, we never know. The qualifying field is pretty strong with players like Matosevic, Baustita-Agut etc.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #91 on: October 27, 2012, 10:57 AM »

I personally hate Andy having a bye, he goes in cold and his opponent has already got a feel for the court and got his mojo going. It's always a worrying time for me, and glad when Andy has got his first match out the way.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #92 on: October 27, 2012, 11:39 AM »

Hi All,

I was coming on to mention Andy's draw for Paris, but I've clearly missed the boat lol.

I don't think it's too bad for Andy, certainly in comparison to some of the draws he's had this year.

Getting a bye, and therefore going in to the second round 'cold' could be dodgy, but Andy's a pro and can handle it. He's done it often enough.

I suppose Cilic could present a challenge, but how much is he going to relish taking on Andy so soon  after the USO, assuming it happens? If ever a player sent out a message to an oppenent, Andy did that day, basically saying 'you can have a match virtually in your pocket and you still won't win'.

Tipsy could be interesting. I can't remember the last time I saw him play Andy, unless my brain is on the blink again - it could be Whistle.

I must admit, I'd love another clash with Smugfed. He's dangerous, and I'd never count my chickens, but it feels like Andy's got him by the unmentionables now, more psychologically than anything. Indoors presents another challenge, of course, but we'll see.

I'd love Andy to win Paris, but equally I think the priority is the WTF, which I think is right, given what Andy has done this year.

Some would say Andy has had a poor year in the Masters, but it seems clear to me that his priority has been getting his first slam. Given a choice this year between the chance of winning a Masters or two, because Andy has reached two(?) Masters finals, and the Olympics and the USO, I know what I'm more pleased about Andy achieving. I think next year Andy will be more free to go for every tournament he plays, and will organise his schedule to get the most out of himself across the board.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #93 on: October 27, 2012, 11:41 AM »

The bye is a double edged sword, but mainly I like it!  It does feel like there is a little bit of extra pressure in the next match to justify getting one in the first place!

I hated it in Shanghai when the papers reported his bye, then walk-over as if he was the only one to get a bye, but in the context of that tournament, he needed the rest more than the practice.

I hate the thought of any player just tanking for the sake of it.  I appreciate that they might not be super-motivated, and or push themselves in a way that might aggravate injuries, but I think it's a dangerous game for any top player to approach a tournament or match not wanting to win it.   It's the desire to always play well that got them to the top in the first place!

Coming into the WTFs off the back of a successful run in Paris would give a psychological advantage which could more than compensate for being a bit tired.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #94 on: October 27, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Tipsy could be interesting. I can't remember the last time I saw him play Andy, unless my brain is on the blink again - it could be Whistle.

Replying to myself here lol, but it was Miami! I'd forgotten all about that, seems like ages ago!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #95 on: October 27, 2012, 01:06 PM »

Don't know if it's already been mentioned on here somewhere,but Andy posted on facebook this morning that he arrived in Paris yesterday...
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #96 on: October 27, 2012, 01:18 PM »

The top seeded players always get a bye ,for it is expected that they would have gone deep into the previous tournament and would need time to travel to  the next one

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #97 on: October 27, 2012, 02:03 PM »

He was hitting with Wawrinka this morning and I think also yesterday judging by something someone else said on twitter.

https://twitter.com/stanwawrinka
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #98 on: October 27, 2012, 02:06 PM »

I believe Andy and Stan are regular hitting partners. Think Murray mentioned it before that famous match at Wimbledon in 2010.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #99 on: October 27, 2012, 04:53 PM »

Aileen my diary says that European Summer Time ends tomorrow so I guess Paris changes too and Sky coverage starts at 10am which is consistent with an 11am start in Paris.
I see Cilic has been beaten by Dodig in Valencia so that might not do much for his confidence.
This looks like a nice draw for Andy though just possible he could stumble in R2 against Mathieu who seems to be making a come back and those 2nd rounds after a bye when a top player is cold can be when they're caught out.  And much will depend on the state of his back I guess [at risk of being dubbed a drama queen  Whistle ]
You should definitely join the eitie Wade/Haas club Ruthie. wink   I'm sure though that the rest will have helped and his team will have done everything they can as well.  I have great faith in them.

Thanks for the info about the time changes.  I do wish they'd leave the clocks alone though!

Don't know if it's already been mentioned on here somewhere,but Andy posted on facebook this morning that he arrived in Paris yesterday...
It had been reported yesterday that he was on his way, but thanks for the confirmation that he's actually arrived there.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #100 on: October 27, 2012, 07:06 PM »

Aileen: meant I risked being dubbed the drama queen.  Someone accused those of us concerned about Andy's back of drama queenitis recently  Whistle
Muzzafan - why do you say Andy definitely won't play till Wednesday at earliest.   I can't remember Andy starting a masters tournament later than the wednesday??  Or do 2nd rounds continue till thursday?   I'd have thought from Andy's point of view better not to have to wait so long and have his matches bunched at end of week. 

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #101 on: October 27, 2012, 07:48 PM »

Aileen: meant I risked being dubbed the drama queen.  Someone accused those of us concerned about Andy's back of drama queenitis recently  Whistle
Yes I do remember that now - and I think I also remember who the (male) culprit was!  naughty

Muzzafan - why do you say Andy definitely won't play till Wednesday at earliest.   I can't remember Andy starting a masters tournament later than the wednesday??  Or do 2nd rounds continue till thursday?   I'd have thought from Andy's point of view better not to have to wait so long and have his matches bunched at end of week. 
Being a Masters, Andy would have to play on Wednesday - and no rain delays here, thank goodness.  In fact he could even play as early as Tuesday since, according to the provisional schedule on the tourney website, four R2 matches will be played on that day - http://www.fft.fr/sites/default/files/pdf/bnppm12programmationprvisionnelle.pdf  I like it that the French for singles is 'simple'!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #102 on: October 27, 2012, 09:43 PM »

With regular Masters tournaments, Qualies are normally over the weekend, R1 is Sunday through Tuesday, R2 is Tuesday and Wednesday, R3 Thursday and then the latter rounds are on successive days.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #103 on: October 28, 2012, 07:59 AM »

Simon's had an awful year, would be surprised, pleasantly though Whistle
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray - Paris Masters 2012 (29th October - 5th November) « Reply #104 on: October 28, 2012, 08:58 AM »

Hopefully Andy's first match will be on the Tuesday to get him up and running, and if all goes well, limit the consecutive days play.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »