Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray on Twitter & Facebook 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 188 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray on Twitter & Facebook

(Read 141600 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1095 on: October 24, 2012, 06:13 PM »

I'm glad he wanted to publicly give his support for this - it's an incident that really upset me.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1096 on: October 25, 2012, 02:05 PM »

I'm glad he wanted to publicly give his support for this - it's an incident that really upset me.

Yeah, a very good initiative taken up.
Never one about this incident before reading it here..
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1097 on: October 30, 2012, 06:54 PM »

Andy's been busily tweeting away today-replying to someone who didn't exactly agree with his comparison of cycling and tennis and the drug-testing (I've posted an article about that on the news thread,and a longer piece on Andy's views in the Doping in Tennis thread).Thought I'd post the conversation here,as it's pretty interesting to hear his own take on things,even briefly.Tried to keep it in order and making sense,but with twitter conversations it can be hard!There's a little bit of swearing in in the beginning,it's not my language,it's just copy and paste,but I'll happily edit it if anyone wants me to. Won't post the other tweeter's name,as I don't have a clue who they are,or if you're allowed or anything!

@andy_murray what you're saying about cycling vs tennis is -with respect- total bullsh*t.

(Andy's A) exactly what did I say that was bullsh*t?

@andy_murray skill needed in cycling vs tennis + cycling "pretty much just physical", in fact there is a very high need for riding skills

(Andy's A) long distance cycling is physically one of the hardest sports out there.. Without doubt more demanding than tennis...

@andy_murray true, however it's not "just physical". can't really compare tennis with cycling in that matter.
 it is simply "different", hence wrong to compare them. + the number of doping tests in cycling exceeds those in tennis by far

(Andy's A) ...however I believe there is more skill involved in tennis...and I said that there needs to be much more testing in tennis...
didn't doubt for one second that the testing in cycling is better than tennis.. I said there needs to be much more testing in tennis

so no sport requires more or less skill than another one? And no sport is more or less physical than another?

@andy_murray yes, sure the share of skill in success in tennis is greater compared to cycling but "just physical" needed to be rephrased Smile
 tennis "in much healthier position than cycling" also impossible to prove. Tennis should introduce bio.passport first.

(Andy's A) ideally every sport would have a bio passport....

I don't think it is "just" physical as I'm sure I would hit the deck cycling at 60mph however I believe it is a very large part of it

I wasn't trying to say anything bad about cycling.. I was trying to compare the 2 sports in front of journalists which isn't easy!
knowing if any little choice of the wrong word or phrase will make you look like an idiot

@andy_murray GB's best cyclists together with GB's best tennis player in support of clean sport Smile

(Andy's A) good idea:) could raise some money for bio passports across more sport!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1098 on: October 30, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Wow!.. a right chatty cathy.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1099 on: October 30, 2012, 08:37 PM »

Andy presented himself well in that convo.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1100 on: October 30, 2012, 10:11 PM »

To be honest I wish Andy wouldn't argue with morons on twitter. Why not answer a question a fan has sent or thank someone for a good luck message or something.  For some reason he only ever seems to have discussions with clowns.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1101 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49 PM »

The tweeter is the editor of a cycling magazine, so not just some random clown.  I thought it was good he addressed the criticism, as he came off well and the person who started off annoyed with him came to understand his position and seemed happy with the response.

Any cycling fans who followed the conversation that were initially miffed were probably impressed that he bothered to explain himself.  It was also partially his own fault for the clumsy statement, which he appears to acknowledge.  People shouldn't just to the worst conclusions, but they will, and it's no harm for Andy to realise that and set the record straight sooner rather than later.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1102 on: October 30, 2012, 11:53 PM »

The tweeter is the editor of a cycling magazine, so not just some random clown.  I thought it was good he addressed the criticism, as he came off well and the person who started off annoyed with him came to understand his position and seemed happy with the response.

Any cycling fans who followed the conversation that were initially miffed were probably impressed that he bothered to explain himself.  It was also partially his own fault for the clumsy statement, which he appears to acknowledge.  People shouldn't just to the worst conclusions, but they will, and it's no harm for Andy to realise that and set the record straight sooner rather than later.

I'm surprised that Andy even responded. If the guy really wanted to start a discussion with Andy then he didn't go about it very well. That was quite an opening tweet he sent.

I'm not quite sure what anyone could have been 'miffed' about. There is no doubt that cycling involves skill and tactics but ultimately it's a test of endurance.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1103 on: October 31, 2012, 12:09 AM »

He probably didn't want to start a discussion, but that's what he got.

Going by twitter, quite a lot of cycling fans were miffed, and over the next few days I bet ever more will become more than miffed.  One cycling blogger has just tweeted about his article titled "Andy Murray slams cycling for lack of skill and too many drugs ... not like tennis"

https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/263429258871967744

He's got over 11 thousand followers, many of whom won't make it past the first sentence, so will have no idea that the headline is totally misleading.

The guy who Andy spoke to may in the future actually stick up for him as and when the rest of the cycling community get frothy at the mouth about his hatred for cycling.

Anyway, it's up to Andy who he replies to.  He didn't get into a spat.  He didn't argue.  He explained his position politely and eloquently and it was interesting reading for the rest of us.   The tennis writer from The Mail even pitched in to say he was there during the press conference and to clarify that in no way was Andy aiming any criticism at cycling.  I don't think he replied because the guy deserved it, more because he was interested in the debate.

However, it's just one of those things.  People love an out of context quote, and they love to turn a casual statement of fact into a criticism.  

The blogger in question is now using it as an excuse to criticise tennis and draw attention to the blogs that claim it's full of doping, presumably as they are fed up with cycling getting it in the neck.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1104 on: October 31, 2012, 09:17 AM »

Maybe Andy felt more inclined to defend his view, due to the disparaging comments Wiggins made about tennis in July http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/wiggins-fumes-doping-accusations-183134477.html
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1105 on: October 31, 2012, 09:47 AM »

Maybe Andy felt more inclined to defend his view, due to the disparaging comments Wiggins made about tennis in July http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/wiggins-fumes-doping-accusations-183134477.html

Good one matchpoint! I remember that outburst against the tweeters which I loved, but hadn't seen that last comment!
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1106 on: October 31, 2012, 10:56 AM »

Why did he have to rubbish tennis, I was almost with him up to that point. 1 and a half hours. Andy spent more like sixteen hours on court during Wimbledon. On the tour they have rest days too, and in their bed by 7pm each night!!
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1107 on: October 31, 2012, 11:35 AM »

Why did he have to rubbish tennis, I was almost with him up to that point. 1 and a half hours. Andy spent more like sixteen hours on court during Wimbledon. On the tour they have rest days too, and in their bed by 7pm each night!!

And that's not counting all the hours they spend on the practice courts, either.

Anybody who watched the US Open final this year and saw that nearly five-hour slugathon won't take that assessment of tennis seriously - there's clearly a massive level of fitness and endurance required to make it at the very top.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1108 on: October 31, 2012, 01:57 PM »

The Aussie's used to say that we were only good at sports where you sat down ie. Cycling and rowing. They did not mention that for London 2012 though!!
I recon I have the skill to race a bike, but after 40 years on the saddle I do not have the stamina.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1109 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14 PM »

To be honest I've always found Wiggins to be a mouthy git.  That was quite a press conference. I can just imagine the criticism Andy would get if he spoke like that at a PC. I guess it's OK when it Bradley.

Oh and he clearly knows nothing about tennis.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 ... 188 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »