Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray on Twitter & Facebook 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 ... 188 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray on Twitter & Facebook

(Read 141088 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1245 on: May 18, 2013, 05:13 PM »

Oh now that is utterly priceless from Andy! He must have been fuming when he wrote it, but why not? We all talk about people being entitled to an opinion and Andy is no exception. He's right as well! It's brilliant to see him having a go back too. Cowan has had a pop at him more than once, so it's time Andy put him in his place.

Cowan is just a fool. He did nothing in the game, apart from a couple of doubles titles, and he sits there spouting his views like he's some kind of expert. You would think, if you didn't know, that he'd won a bunch of majors at least by the way he carries on, but he was worse than average as a player and is worse than that as a pundit. Give me Petch any time, because although he was fawning over Nadal today, he is honest about the career he had. He never makes himself sound better than he was as a player, and he was a good coach, so he does know the game. Cowan knows nothing.

The only problem I have with what Andy said is that every time I hear Cowan now I will remember it and start laughing.

Now I'm off to facebook to agree with Andy.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1246 on: May 18, 2013, 05:21 PM »

Forget slamray, i'm loving contoversyray #impressed

I think he's had enough of people thinking they know him better than he knows himself, good on you lad.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1247 on: May 18, 2013, 05:21 PM »

I have just sent an email to [email protected] about Mr cowan wonder if they will make any comment about it.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1248 on: May 18, 2013, 05:22 PM »

He seemed to get a lot of supportive comments in the last week, referring back to the "Drama Queen" criticism, so maybe he's feeling bolstered by that.

Andy's the current world #2, and in the past year he's won a slam and Olympic gold.  He doesn't need to put up with nonsense from anyone, especially about injuries they can't possibly know anything about.

Andy seems to be capable of taking criticism about many aspects of himself, but it really is pathetic to presume to know better than him if he ought to retire.  It's not as if he was doing a Tipsy with yet another retirement just points away from defeat.   Even most of the usual Andy bashers admitted they respected how he handled his retirement, so it's embarrassing that the first instinct of a commentator on British tv is to find fault.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1249 on: May 18, 2013, 05:22 PM »

Bout time Andy stood up to them anyway!!! Hope he does it more often.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1250 on: May 18, 2013, 05:22 PM »

Wow I just saw it when I went onto facebook, very unlike Andy to hit back like that but I love it Very Happy
But I'm afraid that Andy might be angry at some other bad news (like that relating to his injury) which is why he is speaking out like this Neutral

Cowan is gonna hate him now though lol, he'll probably slag Andy off in every match he commentates on.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1251 on: May 18, 2013, 05:23 PM »

I too wonder sparkle if it something to do with the meds...on reflection it is a tad unprofessional, and Andy is always so PC.

But everyone also has a limit on their patience, anyone can snap. I know I can get bad tempered when I'm in pain, or if my throat problems are bothering me. Maybe Andy is similar.

I just think people like Cowan have thrown a lot of rubbish at Andy over the years, often motivated by jealousy. Maybe it's time that he made it clear that he can stand up for himself and can express a view. Also, in this case, Andy is just expressing his opinion, not asking people to agree with him. I don't think there is any harm in it.

That said, I doubt Marcus and co. will ever bring it up on Sky's coverage. I can't imagine them running one of their polls - you know the sort of thing I mean - 'Is Barry Cowan really useless?, let us know your views'. Might be fun if they did lol. I also don't think it's one of those things where Andy could be accused of bringing the game into disrepute or anything like that. It would be pathetic if he was accused of that just for airing an opinion, and one that is right as well.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1252 on: May 18, 2013, 05:27 PM »

Oh now that is utterly priceless from Andy! He must have been fuming when he wrote it, but why not? We all talk about people being entitled to an opinion and Andy is no exception. He's right as well! It's brilliant to see him having a go back too. Cowan has had a pop at him more than once, so it's time Andy put him in his place.

Cowan is just a fool. He did nothing in the game, apart from a couple of doubles titles, and he sits there spouting his views like he's some kind of expert. You would think, if you didn't know, that he'd won a bunch of majors at least by the way he carries on, but he was worse than average as a player and is worse than that as a pundit. Give me Petch any time, because although he was fawning over Nadal today, he is honest about the career he had. He never makes himself sound better than he was as a player, and he was a good coach, so he does know the game. Cowan knows nothing.

The only problem I have with what Andy said is that every time I hear Cowan now I will remember it and start laughing.

Now I'm off to facebook to agree with Andy.

Barry Cowans is famous (if you can call it that) for one thing, coming back from 2 sets to love against Sampras..... but losing anyway.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1253 on: May 18, 2013, 05:30 PM »

Barry Cowans is famous (if you can call it that) for one thing, coming back from 2 sets to love against Sampras..... but losing anyway.

Actually, now you mention it, I might even remember that one, sort of lol.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1254 on: May 18, 2013, 05:38 PM »

Neil Harman ‏@NeilHarmanTimes 1h

@andy_murray Everyone's a critic these days

Think
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1255 on: May 18, 2013, 05:38 PM »

But everyone also has a limit on their patience, anyone can snap. I know I can get bad tempered when I'm in pain, or if my throat problems are bothering me. Maybe Andy is similar.

I just think people like Cowan have thrown a lot of rubbish at Andy over the years, often motivated by jealousy. Maybe it's time that he made it clear that he can stand up for himself and can express a view. Also, in this case, Andy is just expressing his opinion, not asking people to agree with him. I don't think there is any harm in it.

That said, I doubt Marcus and co. will ever bring it up on Sky's coverage. I can't imagine them running one of their polls - you know the sort of thing I mean - 'Is Barry Cowan really useless?, let us know your views'. Might be fun if they did lol. I also don't think it's one of those things where Andy could be accused of bringing the game into disrepute or anything like that. It would be pathetic if he was accused of that just for airing an opinion, and one that is right as well.

You know i fully agree with Andy and it was a hilarious comment, but I think on reflection he may regret airing his opinion so publically.

He has a good, professional relationship with SKY  and this may make things a little awkward.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1256 on: May 18, 2013, 05:42 PM »

Neil Harmans reply is somewhat cryptic, is he referring to Andy's comment, or Cowans' previous criticism of Andy?

Whistle
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1257 on: May 18, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Well I cannot see why he cannot make comments is ridiculous weather he has a good relationship with Sky. He should be able to say what he thinks without any backlash from Sky. He could refuse to talk to them. It is up to sky to reign in Cowan who is always so negative towards Andy. It looks like they are forgetting that Andy is the number 2 tennis player in the world. I do not think it will affect Andy in any way, he should be able to make comments if he likes. It is a two way thing I am sure Andy was correct to speak out.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1258 on: May 18, 2013, 06:04 PM »

I suppose it is a difficult balance. Risk upsetting Sky on the one hand, or come across as normal and down to earth for a lot of people on the other. Looking just now at Facebook, for every one or two disagreeing, there are dozens backing what Andy said. There are a few wondering if his account has been hacked too, but I don't know. It sounds like Andy to me, he's shy, but he isn't backward about coming forward when he feels the need. He might regret saying what he said in public, but I don't know about that either.

That said, Andy isn't criticising Sky as such. He's expressing a view about one commentator. If Sky was to take offence at that they would look pretty silly. Cowan will probably hear about it of course, so he will stick the boot into Andy when he's commentating, but when doesn't he? Andy's a big boy, he can look after himself.

In many ways I hope Andy did say it and did mean it. If so he's only saying what I've been yelling at the TV for ages.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1259 on: May 18, 2013, 06:04 PM »

It's those pep talks from Fergie! lol

The only thing going against Andy speaking out is that Andy is coming from a position of power.  Then again, pundits and commentators carry a certain amount of power too.  They have to take responsibility for what they say, and each time they say something negative, it has in impact on the subject.  His comments are all the excuse Fed fans need to justify their unsporting behaviour towards him.

I'm not of the view that journalists (if you can call him that) should suck up to the top players.  Andy has taken plenty of criticism on the chin, but that doesn't mean he can't have limits.  People who don't want to like Andy may say it shows he's spoilt, but being polite only gets you so far, especially if it's seen as a green light for more unwarranted criticism.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 ... 188 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »