Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray on Twitter & Facebook 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 ... 192 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray on Twitter & Facebook

(Read 150617 times)
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1920 on: October 02, 2013, 09:11 PM »

I don't want Andy doing any of this s/h/i/t with his back at 1.57 when he comes back!.  Whistle
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1921 on: October 02, 2013, 09:11 PM »

I agree, but then if Andy took the pic wouldn't he be sitting beside her ...? Think

I'm pretty sure though that he wasn't allowed to go the match on his own.  Also he would have to go there by car, and driving certainly won't be on the agenda right now because, for one thing, it would be too stressful on his healing back.
I don't know the set up at Arsenal, but I was assuming Andy would be in one of the private boxes most of the big clubs offer.  I think most are a bit like the boxes you get at the theatre.  You get your own space, which would be important for Andy on several levels.  He'd not get hassled, or risk people bumping into him, and the luxury of enough space to sit down or stand up as and when he felt like it.

If that's where they were, he was probably standing up, maybe pacing about a little to avoid getting stiff, while Kim stayed sitting.

Regarding the driving discussion, I've got to agree that driving is not at all the same as walking.  There are loads of operations where you are essentially banned from driving for several weeks (that includes a C-section), but you are able and encouraged to get walking as soon as possible.  Walking is a common part of the rehabilitation from loads of surgeries, and other back problems.

It wouldn't just risk damage to the surgical site, but you'd be a dangerous driver.  If you have limited mobility, you will also have limited vision, which is a particular problem if you aren't used to it.

One of my colleagues has a recurring back problem, and sometimes has to take the bus to work, because she can't drive when it flares up.  She can walk to and from the bus stop at either end just fine (or well enough, lol), in fact her physio recommends walking. 
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1922 on: October 02, 2013, 09:24 PM »

I suspect playing football at that level requires a bit more than running around a pitch. -  with quite a lot of twisting and turning and possibly crashing into each other, but I don't watch much.

The John Terry story is definitely promising, and I agree that football can be fairly rough, but I do think the fact that players can be substituted was an important factor when he decided he was ready to play again.  If I recall correctly, he was the team captain, so there was value in getting him back on the pitch, even if he wasn't able to contribute fully on a physical level.  It's also possible for a footballer to be picked for one match, then sit on the bench for the next.  In tennis, Andy will be committed to a full tournament on his return, and unless he returns at the WTFs, he'll have to travel abroad with a whole entourage to do so.  It's just not viable to turn up, then decide thirty minutes into the match that he's a bit sore, or not quite back to match fitness, so would like to sit the rest of it out.

There's no reason Andy can't recover at the same rate, but I do think he'll need to be much closer to his own 100% than Terry needed to be when he made his return, so we will need to be patient, and no need to panic if it's not as quick as we'd hope. Smile
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1923 on: October 02, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Twitter conversation re Ross/Andy/Arsenal match

James O'Connell : bumped into Ross Hutchins tonight!! Couldn't help but shake his hand!!

Liz Curran : aw sweet - I love Ross. Was he at the emirates? Did u see Andy too?

James O'Connell: yeah saw him on the way out. He was walking. Didn't see Andy. Presume he was in a car! I love Ross Hutchins. An absolute gent.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1924 on: October 02, 2013, 09:50 PM »

All I'm saying is that I am not "gobsmacked" as some put it, that Andy was out for a walk several days after his op. It seemed that some had him lying motionless with his strength seeping away.

Aileen @ 8.03.  I'm not even speculating on when Andy might return to competitive tennis. As far as I'm concerned, he's had his operation and will return when ready, hopefully not before. But I have read so many posts about the unexpected length of his operation, how his recovery will go, how Kim will cope etc, I just thought I'd post a slightly more relaxed view! If the recovery takes longer, then so be it.

I suspect playing football at that level requires a bit more than running around a pitch. -  with quite a lot of twisting and turning and possibly crashing into each other, but I don't watch much.
Much appreciated! Smile  I don't think though that speculation was helped by seeing that pic of Andy in hospital, although nobody is going to look great after having a GA, and then Judy saying it had been a three hour op, that he was so stiff he could barely move, and that he would be two weeks before he was mobile!

Footballers and rugby players, as well as golfers and tennis players, are also likely to fall victim to Andy's problem, in fact participants in any sport which involves a lot of twisting of the body - and one source I looked at ruled out contact sports for quite a bit longer than non-contact ones, but (a) no two cases are ever going to be the same, and (b) there's a lot of conflicting information about this procedure and its recovery on the internet anyway.

I don't know the set up at Arsenal, but I was assuming Andy would be in one of the private boxes most of the big clubs offer.  I think most are a bit like the boxes you get at the theatre.  You get your own space, which would be important for Andy on several levels.  He'd not get hassled, or risk people bumping into him, and the luxury of enough space to sit down or stand up as and when he felt like it.

If that's where they were, he was probably standing up, maybe pacing about a little to avoid getting stiff, while Kim stayed sitting.
That certainly makes sense, and I'm sure Andy always uses a private box when he goes to footie matches these days.  He's too well known now just to sit amongst the crowd and hope that nobody notices him, so could well be harassed by people wanting his autograph or having their pic taken with him.  I remember, I think it was three years ago, he turned up at a Spurs match apparently hoping just to be one of the crowd, and ended up being interviewed beside the pitch after being 'spotted'.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 02, 2013, 10:06 PM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1925 on: October 02, 2013, 09:53 PM »

The John Terry story is definitely promising, and I agree that football can be fairly rough, but I do think the fact that players can be substituted was an important factor when he decided he was ready to play again.  If I recall correctly, he was the team captain, so there was value in getting him back on the pitch, even if he wasn't able to contribute fully on a physical level.  It's also possible for a footballer to be picked for one match, then sit on the bench for the next.  In tennis, Andy will be committed to a full tournament on his return, and unless he returns at the WTFs, he'll have to travel abroad with a whole entourage to do so.  It's just not viable to turn up, then decide thirty minutes into the match that he's a bit sore, or not quite back to match fitness, so would like to sit the rest of it out.

There's no reason Andy can't recover at the same rate, but I do think he'll need to be much closer to his own 100% than Terry needed to be when he made his return, so we will need to be patient, and no need to panic if it's not as quick as we'd hope. Smile

I understand all that, as I thought would be fairly obvious from the comment in my earlier post @7.28.

I'm not the one saying Andy will be back for Tokyo (Big Nose I think), Paris (Gangsta?) or WTF.

Anyway I shall now shut up, and wait patiently to see what happens.

Edit - Missed your post Aileen while posting mine! I don't see looking a bit groggy after an operation means anything much. Anyway, I wish Andy all the very best for a carefully managed recovery!
[ Last edit by Elena October 02, 2013, 09:59 PM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1926 on: October 02, 2013, 10:47 PM »

I understand all that, as I thought would be fairly obvious from the comment in my earlier post @7.28.
I didn't mean to imply you didn't.  More add my two cents worth on the similarities and differences in their situations.  Or rather that there are some similarities, and some differences! lol
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1927 on: October 02, 2013, 11:38 PM »

I didn't mean to imply you didn't.  More add my two cents worth on the similarities and differences in their situations.  Or rather that there are some similarities, and some differences! lol

Ok, thanks sparkle. Will wait to see what happens next...

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1928 on: October 03, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray
My attempt at a dove for unicef... pants?

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1929 on: October 03, 2013, 09:37 PM »

Looks perfectly OK to me Andy!  Also it's nice to hear that he's doing something for UNICEF.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1930 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18 PM »

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray
My attempt at a dove for unicef... pants?

Stick to the tennis and the dead-pan humour, Andy.

But adorbs. lmao
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1931 on: October 03, 2013, 11:29 PM »

Also.. can only speak for myself when I had the old back op,  but I drove the 1 hour journey (myself) to my surgeon for post-op checkup 10 days after my surgery.

And I ain't Andy Murray.

As I keep saying.. it's all good. goodjob
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1932 on: October 03, 2013, 11:39 PM »

Thank you for your positive input Linda. Smile  The problem is that we've been hanging too much on what Judy said last week, which didn't sound very encouraging.  Maybe though she was just being an over-anxious Mum.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1933 on: October 03, 2013, 11:55 PM »

Thank you for your positive input Linda. Smile  The problem is that we've been hanging too much on what Judy said last week, which didn't sound very encouraging.  Maybe though she was just being an over-anxious Mum.

That's what we mums are best at. yes
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray on Twitter & Facebook « Reply #1934 on: October 04, 2013, 12:03 AM »

To be honest, I thought Judy just said he'd be relatively immobile, meaning that he wouldn't be able to do much exercise, or any heavy lifting and is probably what the doctors ordered.  It's all relative. 

The main point is that we don't really know, and trying to guess is a hiding to nothing.  It's great that he was seen out for a walk, but realistically, he was standing still in the photo.  We don't know how fast he was walking, or how far he went, or how many painkillers he needed. 

He can't be too bad if he's able to make a trip by car (even as a passenger) to watch the football, but again, we don't know how far he walked, or if he was forced to use the lift, or how many painkillers he was taking.

Doing these things is promising, but it doesn't give any meaningful indication of when he'll be ready to play a sport that has a much more demanding range of movements and will put a lot more stress on the operation site.

Thankfully, he's not gone into a media black-out and seems happy enough to tweet regularly and add to his Facebook, so hopefully when he is back at training, we'll know about it. Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 ... 192 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »