Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Andy vs Florian - who will win?
Andy in 2
Andy in 3
Florian in 2
Florian in 3

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid

(Read 6139 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #315 on: May 07, 2013, 06:24 PM »

I only got home mid-way through the second tie-break, so it seems as if I've missed a nervy time watching - although I was glued to live scores for most of it.   I was hoping for a fairly tough match for Andy, to put him through his paces, but I'd have liked it to be a little less tight.  At least it was done and dusted in two sets.

Now for a cup of tea. clap
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #316 on: May 07, 2013, 06:25 PM »

Andy did spare you an extra set, so have a good breakkie. wave

lol Quicker match would have been nicer Whistle Andy should well remember that next time Very Happy
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #317 on: May 07, 2013, 06:25 PM »

They didnt show it on my  channel :/

He seems really postive!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #318 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Great interview. So relaxed and laughing.
He said he's happy with his movement, much better than MC, and said Mayer played very well. Said he wasn't able to read Mayer's serve and that he's an unorthodox player.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #319 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Two questions- was/Is Ivan there and will anyone be posting a video of the match coz I missed the lot. Frown

Ivan wasn't in the players box.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #320 on: May 07, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Great interview. So relaxed and laughing.
He said he's happy with his movement, much better than MC, and said Mayer played very well. Said he wasn't able to read Mayer's serve and that he's an unorthodox player.

Unique serve action.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #321 on: May 07, 2013, 06:29 PM »

phew. In retrospect feels good that andy put under pressure in first match as in MC it was too easy.  But didn't feel like that while watching.  Thank goodness didn't go to a 3rd set - I'm not in match practice for such tension  Whistle
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #322 on: May 07, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Been following the match since 3:3 the first set. Well done to Mr M. Have reached the conclusion that I really don't enjoy Murray matches on clay. The normal roller coaster, is accentuated. I don't enjoy the amount he seems to struggle on clay. I really thought he was going to lose that first set. All credit to him for battling through it, and getting it in two. The cons reckon Mayer lost it be side he simply didn't believe he could win it, and so he didn't. Still love seeing how much more relaxed he is in interviews with his GS and Gold Medal sitting securely in his mind.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #323 on: May 07, 2013, 06:36 PM »

I only saw the first set and the two match points in the second, and I was only half-watching, but I quite enjoyed the match and thought he was playing quite well for the most part. Had three different break point opportunities, but Mayer seemed to find his serve every time. A point here or there and it would have been much more straightforward. Second set his level clearly dropped at the start, but judging from the highlights of the 2-4 game he really stepped it up when he needed to.

Lots of good rallies with plenty of variety. Really enjoyable. I did think by the 5th set point he would lose the first set, but credit to him, he really raised his game (aided by Mayer getting tight) on those points and defended great on his 2nd set point to win it.

It's a lot easier to watch matches when you're distracted by other things, I've found. Less stress.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #324 on: May 07, 2013, 06:43 PM »

7-6 7-6 sounds tough, but Andy really gave it to Mayer. Mayer was solid on serve in the end, but still a good win.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #325 on: May 07, 2013, 06:43 PM »

Thought he was moving gr8 and serving well. Never looked like losing. But Meyer gave him trixy moments with his super serving. However, without that serve inferior player all round.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #326 on: May 07, 2013, 06:46 PM »

The break point stats tell the real story: Murray 1/7, Mayer 1/1.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #327 on: May 07, 2013, 06:53 PM »

In Murray's interview he mentioned his he had been ill in Monte Carlo. I knew he wasn't right in that Warwrinka match. Losing was quite one thing on clay, but losing so dramatically isn't his style.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #328 on: May 07, 2013, 06:54 PM »

He seemed to regroup well, the way he acted in the 1st set TB was calm and collected, I had a feeling he would not lose it based on that alone.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Andy Murray vs Florian Mayer - R2 Madrid « Reply #329 on: May 07, 2013, 06:56 PM »

In Murray's interview he mentioned his he had been ill in Monte Carlo. I knew he wasn't right in that Warwrinka match. Losing was quite one thing on clay, but losing so dramatically isn't his style.

He said it was after all the training he did. Nothing to do with the match.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »