Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray vs Roger Federer - Shanghai Masters Semi Final (13th October 2012) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will the result be?
Murray in 2 - 8 (18.6%)
Federer in 2 - 7 (16.3%)
Murray in 3 - 25 (58.1%)
Federer in 3 - 2 (4.7%)
Smugfed has a mental break down and retires! - 1 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 74 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray vs Roger Federer - Shanghai Masters Semi Final (13th October 2012)

(Read 18348 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

... of course the only reason Andy's match is on last is because SmugFed is playing, and he seems to be the main attraction there, even though Andy is the 2x reigning champ and won the last two BIG tournaments.... the lack of respect to the guys in the top 4 other than Roger pisses me off at times, when people act like Roger is the be all and end all.
Actually Prodigy, Andy has a lot of fans there. It's going to be interesting to see/hear the crowd tomorrow. I've seen a few Saltires being bandied about.
He also has a weibo account. I doubt he's doing the postings, but very savvy marketing all the same.
http://www.weibo.com/andy_murray
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

I know he has a lot of fans, but from what I remember he hasn't been last on court in any of his matches yet.. I know he'd only played 2 matches, but they could've at least mixed it up a bit and even given their second seed, Novak Djokovic a match that was last on court.. If I remember correctly, Andy was the big attraction in Japan and wasn't always last on court...
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

I have to go for Andy in Three sets,as long as he's feeling ok i think he'll do it he just hates Fed beating him at the best of times.Im more concerned about a match up with Novak if Andy wins his match and Novak wins his.I thought Andy seemed ok in his interview so that's given me renewed hope for a win as well.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

I think best to face tomorrow's match with zero expectations given Andy clearly not well. And then who knows we might be pleasantly surprised.  I just hope he does himself justice tomorrow and that it's obvious to the world that if he loses it's not smugfed getting one over him but Andy playing with some sort of infection.  That said of course the smugfed fans won't see it like that and nor will those just waiting to pounce again on Andy. So important we are all supportive and calm should he lose.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

I think best to face tomorrow's match with zero expectations given Andy clearly not well. And then who knows we might be pleasantly surprised.  I just hope he does himself justice tomorrow and that it's obvious to the world that if he loses it's not smugfed getting one over him but Andy playing with some sort of infection.  That said of course the smugfed fans won't see it like that and nor will those just waiting to pounce again on Andy. So important we are all supportive and calm should he lose.
Your right Ruthie we must support Andy whatever the outcome,as he's had such an outstanding year to date,so much more than any of us would have expected at the begining of the year.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Zero expectations with me. I think an Andy-Fed match can go either way. But from what I have seen so far in this tournament Fed has not played too convincingly. On the other hand, Andy is not fully fit either. I believe in his fighting spirit.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

I can put myself through the wringer watching Andy's matches, but for some reason I just can never bring myself to predict his matches. The only time I have was for the USO (to win of course!)

Here's Andy's post match interview. Talks about today's match, his girlfriend's birthday, and his upcoming match with Fed.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Media/Videos/Uploaded/2012/10/12/Shanghai-2012-Friday-Interview-Murray.aspx
He sounds OK there but he does look tired.

I wish we knew what illness he had, then it would be a little easier to predict when he'd be in full health. I'm guessing it's a virus/cold, which usually is about 5-7 day recovery.
He apparently picked up this bug (which sounds like a chest infection) before/at Tokyo, so if it's still making him feel ill then it doesn't sound too good, although of course with Andy you'll never find out exactly what the problem is.  He may have managed to get past Stepanek, but playing Federer feeling less than 100% fit is a another story.  Of one thing I'm certain though - Andy will try to give of his very best but he'll do himself no favours if he lets his frustrations get on top of him.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 12, 2012, 05:58 PM ] IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

He didnt seem that sick in the post match interview..... looked out of sorts during the match tho...whether thats down to ilness or form ..or a combo...who knows.

These tournaments are , IMO, good to go deep into for match practise going into majors....and in this case going into WTF...and to accumulate those atp points required to boast that World No.1 tag ( which Fed likes so much to remind everyone of his 'amazing', 'unbelievable'...'Fantabulous' achievement for wks at No1). However, not many will remember who wins these masters tournaments.... a slam win and a players style of play , the majority of fans remember tho.

Lose against Fed ...the only people who will care are Andy, those lovely FedSmug Fans & people obsessed with stats.

That said... Kick his ass Andy!!
[ Last edit by ABF October 12, 2012, 06:00 PM ] IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Silver Lining, are you a 'closet Fed fan' by any chance?

No, not really. I don't like him all that much actually (as a person), as he strikes me as pretty arrogant. But I think most Andy fans tend to be a little hard on him, even when he's done nothing wrong. Much like a lot of Tennis fans who don't like Andy and find a reason to criticize him no matter what he does. I do however love Fed's game. Him and Andy are my favourite players to watch. My second favourite is actually Rafa. Wink I started supporting both him and Andy back in '04. I'm generally not a fan of making excuses though and don't feel like ignoring facts either, is all. At the end of a day more majors still mean more success.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

If not for his knees, I'm pretty confident he would comfortably have surpassed Federer's Grand Slam tally (and kept Federer's down to about 14/15) as well.

How can Federer be deemed the greatest ever when he has such a pathetic record against Nadal, including several matches when he himself was in his prime and Nadal just a teenager? Nadal has been owning him since he's been on tour.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

I'm not deeming Federer the greatest btw, since I think you can't compare eras. But it's a fact that he won more majors than Nadal. It's a match-up issue. No one would claim Davydenko is greater than Nadal, just because he owns a positive H2H against him. I don't really understand these kinds of discussions anyway...

As for the knee thing, that has a lot to do with Nadal's playing style. If he wasn't so reliant on his movement, he would probably not be having knee problems. But then again, he might not have had as much success if it wasn't for his movement.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

http://twitter.com/smugfed I know we have pseudofed but I thought I'd give my hand at one of these accounts, and will be trying to act how typical Federer fans see him on there. Follow if you like.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

He didnt seem that sick in the post match interview..... looked out of sorts during the match tho...whether thats down to ilness or form ..or a combo...who knows.
It isn't easy running round a tennis court when you've got breathing difficulties, and I guess that was part of his frustration against Stepanek.  Fed will undoubtedly take full advantage and make him move round the court as much as possible.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

I'm not deeming Federer the greatest btw, since I think you can't compare eras. But it's a fact that he won more majors than Nadal. It's a match-up issue. No one would claim Davydenko is greater than Nadal, just because he owns a positive H2H against him. I don't really understand these kinds of discussions anyway...

As for the knee thing, that has a lot to do with Nadal's playing style. If he wasn't so reliant on his movement, he would probably not be having knee problems. But then again, he might not have had as much success if it wasn't for his movement.

Yup ..agreed.

I enjoy watching Nadal....love how he gives everything on the court. However, I can't see how he can sustain his level of physicality. He has had that dodgy knee bothering him his whole career. IMO he is not going to return the same player ....and even if he does the knee will break down again with same inflamation issue. I have a tendonitis problem obtained from sport...and even after a considerable break from activities after a short time performing a similar task it reoccurs..and hey ho ..back to square 1.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

I dont like Federer the man but I do however think he plays some of the most sublime tennis, however, he is now beginning to look his age and I think next year will be a totally different propostion for him.  If RF wins tommorow then he will have done so playing an under par Andy who is quite obviously carrying some form of viral illness.  A 100% fit Andy on this surface will take him out so I guess it is just a matter of waiting and seeing how Andy feels in himself tommorow.  I dont think RF has played particulary well and Cilic looked a beaten man before the match commenced today. 

Maybe a phone call from Ivan Lendl will help Andy regroup and re focus for tommorrow, whatever the outcome it will bear little relevance to the most successful year in the career of Andy Murray.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Wasn't it said recently that only two active players have a winning head to head over he who must be smug, Andy being one and Nadal being the other? I'm sure I remember it being mentioned. It sounds like the sort of thing Petch tells us during matches lol.

I don't think the Smug One looks unbeatable in Shanghai, quite the reverse in fact. If Andy is feeling better tomorrow and gets a decent start I think he has a great chance. I'm not going to worry either way though. Andy doesn't look 100% at the moment, so I don't want him to run himself ragged and risk injury ahead of the WTF. As much as I would love the hat trick in Shanghai, the WTF is more important in the scheme of things.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 74 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »