Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray vs Roger Federer - Shanghai Masters Semi Final (13th October 2012) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will the result be?
Murray in 2 - 8 (18.6%)
Federer in 2 - 7 (16.3%)
Murray in 3 - 25 (58.1%)
Federer in 3 - 2 (4.7%)
Smugfed has a mental break down and retires! - 1 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 74 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray vs Roger Federer - Shanghai Masters Semi Final (13th October 2012)

(Read 18550 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Actually, now thinking of it, Andy also has never done it..now that bothers me.
Andy is a bad loser - have to admit it.  But he has certainly hugged people like rafa and nole when he's lost to them in big matches.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Andy is a bad loser - have to admit it.  But he has certainly hugged people like rafa and nole when he's lost to them in big matches.
Yes, he hates losing, but it's different from the way Fed behaves.  A losing Andy is annoyed at himself.  He may not be effusive in defeat, but nor is he churlish and he always acknowledges that his opponent played better.  Nadal for me, has to be the gentleman of the sport, though.  He has the look of Rambo when he plays, but just comes across as a lovely guy - win or lose...
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

http://www.rogerfedererfans.com/forum/topic/459-the-concept-of-gamesmanship/ ................................................. ...............
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Andy is a bad loser - have to admit it.  But he has certainly hugged people like rafa and nole when he's lost to them in big matches.

I think it might be more accurate to say he doesn't like losing.  I don't think he can be described as a bad loser - he never makes excuses for his performance if he does lose a match and always gives his opponent credit.

ETA: Or what Elly said. :P
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

I think it might be more accurate to say he doesn't like losing.  I don't think he can be described as a bad loser - he never makes excuses for his performance if he does lose a match and always gives his opponent credit.

yes sorry I didn't mean he was a bad loser in sense of how he behaves in press conferences etc afterwards.  I meant I have seen him give v cursory congratulations sometimes to his opponent.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Murray needs to win tomorrow if he can, in order to keep his third place in the race secure from a Nadal comeback  I think he will win in three
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Oh well - confession time  Embarassed  I admit to voting that Federer would win in 2, based largely on the fact that Andy looked so unwell on court yesterday, and I was sure Fed would take advantage of the fact that he was ill.  Whatever his bug is I hope it doesn't trouble him tomorrow.  To lift the title for the 3rd consecutive year would be a real kick in the teeth for Fed as well as a great coup for Andy, but if he does lose, a loss to Djoko here isn't as bad as a loss to Fed.  I think Andy and Nole have a genuine respect and friendship for each other.
Oh ye of little faith! And you too Ruthie!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

That was just a brilliant match by Andy! Loved all his aggressive returns, and how he managed to break Fed from 0-40 down in the second set. Smile
Quite a long game but Andy kept his cool and kept fighting and then the rain complaint as fed tries to get the match stopped but looked like Andy was okay with play on. And then they start playing raindrops on my head haha and the crowd gets into it. Back in play and Murray gets the ad in the 7th deuce and it goes back to deuce. Great tennis but Federer wins the game. Perhaps that was the wrong game as fed won that one   
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Great day made all the better for Andy putting SmugFed in his place.

In fact the medical time-out requested by Djokovic was at the same level as Federer's disgraceful time-wasting.

Also I am beginning to feel that Federer will make 2013 his final year on the ATP circuit. He is starting to show his 31 years. If my assumptions are correct, then I shall admit to regret this as I know that everytime Andy is placed against Federer a victory is a stone cold certainty.

Caz, too much of the liquid grape is not good for you. Don't overdo it, but have a drink for me to toast wir Andy.
[ Last edit by OldScotSupport October 13, 2012, 05:09 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Yes, he hates losing, but it's different from the way Fed behaves.  A losing Andy is annoyed at himself.  He may not be effusive in defeat, but nor is he churlish and he always acknowledges that his opponent played better.  Nadal for me, has to be the gentleman of the sport, though.  He has the look of Rambo when he plays, but just comes across as a lovely guy - win or lose...
I think it might be more accurate to say he doesn't like losing.  I don't think he can be described as a bad loser - he never makes excuses for his performance if he does lose a match and always gives his opponent credit.

I agree with both of this. What Ruthie and I were talking about is the shaking hands moment. Otherwise, he is able to accept defeat.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

alright then I'll fess up too Aileen - I voted the same.  Usually even if I'm not sure Andy will win I'll vote with my heart rather than head.  But yesterday after the Stepanek match I was so sure he wouldn't have what was needed to beat Fed today when unwell that I thought it could be a quick win for smugfed.  I am SO happy to have been proved wrong and indeed my hopes started soaring after that first game when Andy came out all racquets blazing.

I didn't vote, but felt exactly the same about this match, before and after.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Yeah, Federer was time wasting wanting the rain delay (1st time around) but I can't believe the umpire who'd decided to let play continue but then procrastinated and let Federer talk him round eventually.  Andy, ever the gentleman and sportsman, chose not to get involved.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Aileen - don't feel bad - I, at one point, was one of the biggest doubters on here.  However, since Lendl came on board there's been an ongoing shift in Andy's self belief which is really palpable.   Long may it continue!
Oh don't I know you were a doubter - used to drive me nuts!  But like I said, my reasons for voting that way were purely on the grounds of Andy's health, although if I'm honest, after being on this forum for nearly three years, during two of which Andy went through some pretty rough times, I got so used to the disappointments that I'm finding it a bit difficult to get my head round the transformation in him, especially since Wimbledon, and if that doesn't make sense to anyone, well  Shrug  Smile   
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

W
Im going to wear my Golden Boy T shirt tomorrow.

Hope he whoops Djokovics backside tomorrow, just to show who's is the big threat to the No. 1 throne.

here did you get the shirt?
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

I meant where did you get the shirt
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 74 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »