Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion

(Read 12350 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 12:28 PM »

Also, just 2 Masters titles. Masters are a good barometer of quality.

Aye, then there's the Masters Cup titles and the No. 1 spot.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 01:41 PM »

Andy has way better slam and masters results over-all than Hewitt.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 01:44 PM »

Andy has way better slam and masters results over-all than Hewitt.

This. Plus Murray is a lot more consistent now then Hewitt was when he was the top dog. Murray hasn't suffered many bad losses since winning the US Open where Hewitt was up and down after winning his first Slam.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 01:46 PM »

Andy is first this year with GS wins/losses. 13-1, next in line is Nadal with 7-1, then Nole with 18-2.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 01:47 PM »

Lleyton only made 4 slam finals too, and i think his number one ranking was taken in his short window of opportunity his last good year was 2005 after that he sort of declined rapidly and he was only 24 then, i don't think that will happen to Andy, he's only 26 and he seems to be one of those players who peaks later rather than earlier, the opposite of Lleyton (success wise anyway).

But Hewitt did win 2 end of year finals, i think if Andy wins a few himself and a couple of more slams he will be closer to someone like Becker career wise than Hewitt.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 01:53 PM »

I don't know about anybody else but I keep coming in here just to look at that cup sitting glowing on the top right of the screen.  I'm still trying to convince myself that it all actually happened ... still hasn't properly sunk in yet, 2 days later!

I think something I particularly loved about the Wimbledon win was what Grabcopy remarked on - the expression on Andy's face in the moment it occurred, and how it differed from the US Open.  With the latter, there was a sense of overwhelming relief - it finally happened - and exhaustion - the relief so powerful that it appeared to drown out everything else.  What I'd hoped for with a Wimbledon win, though - and what I think it's obvious that we got - was that moment of pure unadulterated joy as the realisation hit that he'd done it.  I've never seen him look so completely happy before - and I felt the same. 

With the US Open, I was elated at his win, but there was still that niggle at the back of your mind that Wimbledon was there and still to be attained.  I didn't feel the same about the Aussie Open or Roland Garros - Wimbledon was the Holy Grail.  But with the Wimbledon win - I may have cried when he won the US Open, but it was nothing compared to the great gasping ugly sobs I broke into when he dropped his racquet on the ground and roared at the crowd.  I'm not sure I've ever felt such a rush of emotion in my life - pure, positive, giddy happiness that was this incredible release.  When Andy was on his knees crying into the ground I was pretty much right there with him.

I'll never, ever forget it.  I feel privileged to be a part of it all and share the moment with so many others - and so excited about what the future will bring, because whatever it does, I know it will be incredible.  Andy made me believe that dreams could come true on Sunday.
You must be my long lost twin sister or something as I'm thinking exactly the same and couldn't have put it better myself
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 02:10 PM »

When Andy won the gold followed by the USO I was happy. Gone were the fears that he might be remembered as 'a decent player, but he never won anything'. He had put himself right on the front page of the success story that was Team GB, and he had backed it up by winning a slam - job done. All that was,of course, until that ND backhand found the net, Andy's arms were raised in triumph and I was still coming down from the ceiling ! It dawned - this is Wimbledon. This is the tournament I have watched year after year for decades and made do with the odd decent run by brits(mostly TH), while waiting for some Swede, American or Swiss -you know,the 'great players'- to be the last man standing on finals day. This is the tournament which, for many Brits, is tennis and the means by which they get to know who the best players are. This is beautiful, historic, British Wimbledon - played under the sun on green grass - the true surface. The home of Fred Perry, a great of his time but also a spectre, casting an ever darkening shadow of expectation over British hopefuls who followed. This is Wimbledon and, finally, it was won by our man. Andy Murray - Wimbledon Champion, still sounds crazy, but it's true, it's right, and it now means I truly can die a happy, though hopefully much older, man. :-)
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Best thing about it was hearing my whole street roaring simultaneously when Djokovic netted on match point.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 03:22 PM »

I agree with all the great comments on here. I can hardly believe it either. I first really got into Wimbledon in the mid 70's with Borg and Mac and Connors. And Wade! I remember where I was when she won it! So it must have had an effect on me I was 22 years old. I became a Wilander, then Edberg fan and even a Lendl fan then went off tennis for a number of years but came back into it for our Tim. Then along came my fellow Scott!!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 03:27 PM »

The only thing i'm worried about is the amount of gloryhounds that will jump on him due to his success, i don't mind grudging respect (see MTF) but those of us on here have earned the right to be happy for him, i just don't want him to start having support from people who know fuckall about him. His fanbase is spot on right now, you know the sort i mean "Oh Andy won Wimbledon? where do i sign up" type of people
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 03:33 PM »

I still can't believe it. That last game I was shaking and then when HE WON I was shaking and crying and laughing all at the same time. I don't think I've ever wanted anything for someone else as much. I couldn't give a toss about 77 years- I wanted Andy to win it for himself, for his dedication and talent and sacrifice and hard, hard work for all these years- no one has ever deserved it more.

I still well up reading about it and looking at the pictures. Straight sets against Djokovic!
IP Logged
Aran
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 03:40 PM »

August last year, I said: 'If he wins the US Open, I reckon he'll get the Australian too - and then we can all settle down and play 'When will he catch up with Novak?'

Okay, so I was wrong about him getting the Australian as well - what was that, injury? Psychological exhaustion? - but I think we're into the 'When will he catch up with Novak?' game now... Wink

As I said back then [http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/has-it-really-been-7-years!/], he's always needed time to acclimatise at each new level - and since he obviously had the tennis ability to win finals in straight sets, there was no reason to presume he wouldn't start doing exactly that once he'd acclimatised.

So, I guess we've seen him get acclimatised now...Smile

My word, that last game was ridiculous.  I reckon Novak might well have found a way to win if he'd got back into it then.  The last point is the one getting all the airtime right now, but the last-but-one point was just insane - the mileage he covered, at that stage of the match, was just phenomenal.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 04:06 PM »

I've decided Andy has finally driven me mad. I recorded Today At Wimbledon on Sunday because I thought I might be too tired to watch it. Well, I did end up watching it as well - too excited to sleep - and since I've watched the highlights of the match about six times  Whistle.

I'll never forget that match point. Djokovic nets the backhand, Andy's racquet and cap go, the crowd goes wild and a look of total, unadulterated bliss comes over Andy's face. Was it me, or did he look like his 18-year old self there for a moment? It was such a look of complete, almost child-like joy.

It didn't stop there though. That moment when he was on his knees on the court is hard to beat. That was the moment it seemed to really hit him. No more could people suggest he didn't have what it takes to win a slam. No more could people say that he would never handle the pressure of Wimbledon enough to win there. He had done it. That moment when he was on his knees seemed like a total release. Maybe all the years of pressure, questioning, self-doubt, had finally been cast away for good. It looked like it. I was bawling by then, just completely gone. Seeing Kim look so stunned and yet overjoyed and Judy sobbing in Leon Smith's arms just made it seem even more vivid. Andy had really done it! He was Wimbledon Champion.

I've just found a clip on youtube of the coverage from ESPN, or rather, just that 4th match point. Mac is commentating and sums it up pretty well. 'This is a great moment for Great Britain, but also for our sport. This guy deserves it.'

You just can't say fairer than that.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 04:06 PM »

We're all fed up with the press making so much out of the 77 year thing.  What's it got to do with Andy anyway?  Typical of the press to heap the whole thing on Andy's shoulders - he must have been well fed up with it - even Sue Barker and the BBC jumped on the bandwagon just to sensationalise it.

Life for Andy will certainly be a lot more pleasurable without the constant inane questions about Fed Perry and 1936 etc etc  yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn yawn

Or maybe, at Wimby next year, the headline will be that no British player has won it twice in a row since etc etc
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 04:30 PM »

I literally still can't process it all.   Wimbledon Champion. Omg
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »