Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion

(Read 13722 times)
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 04:44 PM »

What makes this Wimbledon win even sweeter for me is that it comes after so many years of supporting Andy through thick and thin. How easy is it to become a fan of a player who wins his first GS final? Or wins nearly everything with ease due to a lack of serious competitors? Andy always had to play against higher ranked opponents in his finals, his first being against Roger in his prime. Yet, he had the weapons to beat them all, as he had shown time and time again. What I really admire about Andy is his mentality even after tough losses and to go his way which has now been crowned. And even if he had not won a single GS title, I would still prefer him over any other player.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 04:45 PM »

I literally still can't process it all.   Wimbledon Champion. Omg

It's strange, it literally gets me right in the chest every time I think about it. Amazing.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 04:56 PM »

I'm glad that Andy has proven everybody wrong and I vividly remember a heated discussion I had with my mate when he dismissed that he would ever win a slam nevermind Wimbledon after losing to Wawrinka at USO.

Sunday was so sweet when Djokovic netted that BH at MP. It was so so good when I dropped him a text that he was made to look like a fool the moment Andy lifted the gold Challenge Cup on Centre Court.

Andy Murray: multiple slam champ and Olympic Gold medalist. I seriously doubt anyone will ever have the privilege of straight setting Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic in successive finals on Centre Court anytime soon.

Legend our Andy is Smile
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 05:06 PM »

It's strange, it literally gets me right in the chest every time I think about it. Amazing.

Me too Teejay I keep watching that final point over and over and the celebrations and the crowd noise and everything just makes me cry all over again. 

I think as someone said on another thread Andy looks like so much weight has been lifted off him I think maybe he will play with alot more freedom now and he will be as feared as Novak so alot more titles could well come his way. 
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 05:24 PM »

Well the dust is slightly settling and time to take in what our man has achieved.

Just had my now traditional 2 weeks off work Wimbledon fortnight.

From the romp through the first 4 rounds (with the occasional wobble) to the obligatory 5 set nailbiter. Sending the huge serving young pretender home tae think again!!
Then the dismantling of the''best player in the world''. It has been a sensational 2 weeks!! Andy has given me 3 out of 4 of my best sporting moments that i have witnessed (the other being Aberdeen winning the cup winners cup, many moons ago)

One downside to all this is what Andy has had to go through to finally be accepted by the mainstream!!

From the English football team comment to the completely wrong & insulting ''dour Scot'' image they have brought up year in year out & have played along with quite willingly!!

Being a Perthshire lad living in Surrey, even during this Wimbledon, i have had to put up with ''friends'' on social media ironically supporting anybody but Andy so the bile is still ingrained!

And i know Andy gave his permission for the documentary & was briefed on the question of what happened when he was at school but how heartbreaking was it watching him break down like that. For me the most heartbreaking moment was when he said that he hoped he had given Dunblane something to be proud of. Was so from the heart!!
Well i don't really need to answer that as remember the town after the Olympics & the U.S open!! Never mind the fact they have been so proud of him for years!!!
I really hope the documentary served as getting something off his chest although i loved the rest of it.

Anyway, i just view the media as the biggest ''Andy-come-lately's''(whoever coined that, let me shake their hand) of the lot and i only just learned here at MW that Andy was pointing at the media box straight after he had won. It all makes sense now!!!

Am now looking forward to the rest of the tour & of course the defense of the U.S

Maybye a wee Golden slam is not out of the question now!!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 05:28 PM »

Just found this thread-lovely idea Westie!

I don't know about anybody else but I keep coming in here just to look at that cup sitting glowing on the top right of the screen.  I'm still trying to convince myself that it all actually happened ... still hasn't properly sunk in yet, 2 days later!

I think something I particularly loved about the Wimbledon win was what Grabcopy remarked on - the expression on Andy's face in the moment it occurred, and how it differed from the US Open.  With the latter, there was a sense of overwhelming relief - it finally happened - and exhaustion - the relief so powerful that it appeared to drown out everything else.  What I'd hoped for with a Wimbledon win, though - and what I think it's obvious that we got - was that moment of pure unadulterated joy as the realisation hit that he'd done it.  I've never seen him look so completely happy before - and I felt the same. 

With the US Open, I was elated at his win, but there was still that niggle at the back of your mind that Wimbledon was there and still to be attained.  I didn't feel the same about the Aussie Open or Roland Garros - Wimbledon was the Holy Grail.  But with the Wimbledon win - I may have cried when he won the US Open, but it was nothing compared to the great gasping ugly sobs I broke into when he dropped his racquet on the ground and roared at the crowd.  I'm not sure I've ever felt such a rush of emotion in my life - pure, positive, giddy happiness that was this incredible release.  When Andy was on his knees crying into the ground I was pretty much right there with him.

I'll never, ever forget it.  I feel privileged to be a part of it all and share the moment with so many others - and so excited about what the future will bring, because whatever it does, I know it will be incredible.  Andy made me believe that dreams could come true on Sunday.

You must be my long lost twin sister or something as I'm thinking exactly the same and couldn't have put it better myself

Can I include myself in that as a triplet?Because that's exactly how I feel too!

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 05:28 PM »

Man,that match nearly killed me.By the end of the match I just kept saying "please,please please" at the screen.There was one point-I can't quite remember when,but I think it must have been the last game when he was facing break point,I remember tearfully saying to my sister-"I knew I shouldn't have started to think this was real!!"And when he won-when he won,I screamed so loudly that my dog came racing to me,barking furiously,thinking there was something wrong!!

I don't think I've quite grasped yet that he's done it.I mean,I saw it happen-and yet,I can't somehow believe it?It's funny,I'm doing things the opposite way around to Andy-he said he realised he'd won Wimbledon that day,but of course we know it took days to realise he'd won the USO,whereas that sunk in almost straightaway for me.This is different.I don't know,maybe it's because I specifically dreamed for years of Andy winning Wimbledon.Every summer I've just hoped and dreamed and prayed it would be his summer.I do love the US Open,but before Andy won it,that wasn't one I particularly dreamed of-apart from Wimbledon,it was just a slam-any slam!

Anyway-even if I haven't quite got it into my head that he's gone and done it-I'm still floating on a happy cloud.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 05:28 PM »

What's caught me off guard is how fast Andy has achieved this. If he wins the Oz Open next year then he is only one Slam (French Open) away from a Golden Slam, which hasn't been achieved in the mens game for a while. It will also mean he is practically on level terms with Nole such as he only needs one of the four more Slams to achieve that feat, and Nole has been struggling to get there for a lot longer then Andy has to win his two Slams.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 05:54 PM »

My word, that last game was ridiculous.  I reckon Novak might well have found a way to win if he'd got back into it then.  The last point is the one getting all the airtime right now, but the last-but-one point was just insane - the mileage he covered, at that stage of the match, was just phenomenal.
Wasn't it just. That point pretty much won him the title.

In-fact he played the big points tremendously all match. Watching it back I kept on thinking 'what if'. What if he didn't pull off that shot, what if he netted on break point, what he stuck the passing shot in the net. But he just never looked like missing. Every time he got a break point (first game aside) it never really felt like he wasn't going to break.

The one stat that is never shown is games with break point / breaks of serve ratio. I think Murray's was very high, whilst he got out of a fair few games (not least that last one!) having had to save break points.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 06:04 PM »

And i know Andy gave his permission for the documentary & was briefed on the question of what happened when he was at school but how heartbreaking was it watching him break down like that. For me the most heartbreaking moment was when he said that he hoped he had given Dunblane something to be proud of. Was so from the heart!!
Well i don't really need to answer that as remember the town after the Olympics & the U.S open!! Never mind the fact they have been so proud of him for years!!!
I really hope the documentary served as getting something off his chest although i loved the rest of it.
I found it funny at the start of the documentary when he said 'I hope there's a good turnout'. Yeah, it was ok.. only the entire town.

Man,that match nearly killed me.By the end of the match I just kept saying "please,please please" at the screen.There was one point-I can't quite remember when,but I think it must have been the last game when he was facing break point,I remember tearfully saying to my sister-"I knew I shouldn't have started to think this was real!!"And when he won-when he won,I screamed so loudly that my dog came racing to me,barking furiously,thinking there was something wrong!!

When he went 40-0 I went downstairs to watch it with my dad, thinking there was no way he wouldn't take one of these points. When it got back to deuce I went back up to my room. The next six points were absolutely agony. I couldn't sit still, particularly on the break points, and I genuinely felt physically sick. I remember cursing pretty damn loud when Djokovic got the net cord and then retrieved the drop shot. Thank god he won it when he did - I have no idea how I would've carried on watching if he'd been broken, and I had to do the report as well so could hardly just take a breather for a few games.

Easily the most agonising game I've ever watched - like Shanghai but with what was at stake (and having been up 40-0) it was magnified tenfold.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 07:16 PM »

Wasn't it just. That point pretty much won him the title.

In-fact he played the big points tremendously all match. Watching it back I kept on thinking 'what if'. What if he didn't pull off that shot, what if he netted on break point, what he stuck the passing shot in the net. But he just never looked like missing. Every time he got a break point (first game aside) it never really felt like he wasn't going to break.

The one stat that is never shown is games with break point / breaks of serve ratio. I think Murray's was very high, whilst he got out of a fair few games (not least that last one!) having had to save break points.

The turning point for me was when he was 4-3 down in the second set serving for 4-4 and Djoko had those bp's, i think there was one forehand from Andy that tweaked the net cord to save the break and Djoko just looked at his box smirking and shaking his head in disbelief.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 07:29 PM »

I see that Simon Reed has joined the band of 'experts' who are saying that basically Andy only won because Novak was under par.  Why can they not let him win on his merits and brilliant play?  Novak is well known for his powers of recovery.  Andy had a 5 setter against Verdasco and then 4 setter against JJ.  So there was not much difference.

I am sure Andy just got under Novak's skin as he was basically outplaying him.  I actually managed to watch without panicking for once. I just had the feeling Andy was going to do it.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 07:34 PM »

Andy's been mentioned on EastEnders moments ago. One of the characters was going to rename her B&B to Wimbledon Palace and she mentioned how she was going to 'cash-in' if Andy won after 77 years. She also said Del Potro was fit. She's in for a treat then.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35 PM »

I see that Simon Reed has joined the band of 'experts' who are saying that basically Andy only won because Novak was under par.  Why can they not let him win on his merits and brilliant play?  Novak is well known for his powers of recovery.  Andy had a 5 setter against Verdasco and then 4 setter against JJ.  So there was not much difference.

I am sure Andy just got under Novak's skin as he was basically outplaying him.  I actually managed to watch without panicking for once. I just had the feeling Andy was going to do it.

Utter garbage, if people like Simon Reed want to come up with tripe like that, then they should be reminded that Novak only won the AO then because Andy played a 5 setter against Fed in the semis, so Novak should be thanking Fed then right? or how about Fed winning the USO in 2008 off the back of Andy playing Rafa the day before? it's all bullcrap, there's always an excuse with some people, it does my head in, thankfully though the morons spouting this crap are basically being told to keep their traps shut.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Novak is well known for his powers of recovery.  Andy had a 5 setter against Verdasco and then 4 setter against JJ.  So there was not much difference.

I was actually reading a piece before the match that was trying to analyse who would have the edge where,and the exact amount of time spent on-court over the tournament by both Andy and Novak had been calculated.The difference wasn't huge-I think it was about 25 minutes or something like that-but it was actually Andy who'd spent more time playing.So I wish those critics would take Andy's side into consideration!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »