Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion

(Read 11675 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 07:50 PM »

I will never forget the sick nerves all through the match and at 3-4 in the third mouthing (don't know why, I was alone but stress can make me go quiet) hold - break - hold over and over. When he held then broke to 5-4 I was shaking and crying and just couldn't believe it, I kept thinking I can't believe it, this is it, this is the time, he's actually going to serve to be Wimbledon champion. I could barely breathe. It wassuch a rush of emotion that the moment had arrived, that he was serving for the title (ok so he then made us sweat it out for 12 agonizing mins in true Andy style). I have followed many players since the mid 80s but have followed Andy's progress since he was awee boy and as I think I may have rambled on another thread, I felt like a proud mammy when he did it. A wonderful wondeful moment. I don't know how all you folk who have to work this week are managing to concentrate. My boss even text me from Portugal cos she knew how chuffed I would be. Can't get enough of it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 07:51 PM »

Just been listening to something on the iplayer from 5 Live. JO, Nick Bolletieri (spelling?) and someone else were analysing the match. The show was too long for me to listen to it all just now, but I will later. Nick was asked if Djokovic lost because he was tired. He said no, athletes recover fast these days, or words to that effect. The basic idea of what he suggested, and he explained how, is that Andy simply outplayed and outmoved him. Nick raved about Andy's movement on the court. He said he thought Djokovic was getting into a panic, overusing the drop shots in the way he did.

To finish they talked about how many more slams Andy might win. Nick B suggested 7 might be his total, as long as he doesn't get complacent etc. He said he didn't think Andy would let that happen.

Tell you what, I know people will worry about numbers being put on how the future might go, but I love it. I much prefer that to the days when they suggested our boy wasn't going to win any.

IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56 PM »

Yes, it is very enjoyable listening to all these folk predicting large numbers of slams - this time lst year there were plenty only too happy to say he'd had his chances and blown them. Truly what a diffrence a year makes - it even improves the weather - they were showing the weather this time last year - torrential rain and cold. Is it a case of the sun shines on the righteous!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 08:05 PM »

I see that Simon Reed has joined the band of 'experts' who are saying that basically Andy only won because Novak was under par.  Why can they not let him win on his merits and brilliant play?  Novak is well known for his powers of recovery.  Andy had a 5 setter against Verdasco and then 4 setter against JJ.  So there was not much difference.

I am sure Andy just got under Novak's skin as he was basically outplaying him.  I actually managed to watch without panicking for once. I just had the feeling Andy was going to do it.

Simon Reed had a piece of my mind to chew on on Eurosport's website. I've reached a point where I don't rise so much to the garbage now, but that jumped up, arrogant little scum really did it.

The fact is that they can't shift the goalposts like this. Since 2011, when Djokovic had that great run, the pundits have been weeing themselves to go on and on about him being Superman and having special powers of recovery. Well, unless Andy's racquet was made of kryptonite, Superman was found out on Sunday, and found rather wanting on the grass courts.

The funny thing is that while some of us didn't see straight sets coming, we did see the win. It shows how much idiots like Reed (who really should stick to WTA) and Cowan know about tennis. They both just simply wanted Andy to fail. It wasn't even about really thinking Djokovic could win. Stupid morons, the pair of them.

I'm waiting for Montreal in the hope that Marcus will talk to Petch in the studio and ask him what he thinks of Andy's win. From one interview I read, he is over the moon. I bet he is.

Petch didn't do any of Andy's matches at Wimbles this year. I missed him. He'd have been awesome for the final!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 08:31 PM »

I agree I like Mark Petchy very much he is always fair no matter who is playing. Barry Cowan is a right pain in the arse. He is so biased I don't know why and maybe now Wade will shut up too. Andy has brought a breath of fresh air into British tennis. Perhaps the atmosphere at Wimbledon will change it was so great to hear the crowd shouting for Andy. The year is 2013 it is time that all the snobbery is flung off the courts Andy is a people's Champion it is time Wimbledon recognised it. Then perhaps kids like Andy wont have to go to Spain to learn how to be a brilliant tennis player like Andy Murray.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33 PM »

And they all said Andy was a one slam wonder.

Hhahahahahahahahahaha.
Firstly, they said he was never going to win a slam, he was the nearly man. So, having proved them ALL wrong at the US Open (and dont forget the Olympics, 2 medals) he became the one slam wonder.
Now, he's a multiple slam winner and the holder of both Gold and Silver medals +++ other tennis titles and and OBE etc.. Whistle

Not that we like to rub salt in the wound, like  Little tongue man

IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #51 on: July 09, 2013, 09:03 PM »

Nole knows Andy outplayed him on the day. He'll outplay Andy on one of the NA Masters. Seesaw.  But on Sunday, andy would have beaten a Day 1 fresh Nole, Sampras, Nadal and Federer back to back.  Destiny and sheer will.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #52 on: July 09, 2013, 09:05 PM »

I don't think it became apparant until his win on Sunday how important it was for all of us that he won Wimbledon, winning the USO was amazing but the nagging thought at the back of each of our minds was that Wimbledon was a lot more important to him and us. I know some on here would have been happy with the gold medal and USO trophy, but i personally think he's too good a player to be always remembered as a one slam wonder (horrible term).

But it wasn't some selfish wish on my part, it wasn't so i could start trolling messageboards and forums with "suck it haters" it was for Andy himself, the guy works himself to near death, he has the pressure of a blithering bunch of so called journalists quoting him out of context, trying to tear him down at every opportunity and making his life miserable, and on top of that he has the general public to contend with who wrongly think his proffesional manner on a tennis court somehow mirrors how he acts outside of playing tennis, nothing more than a dour surly hot tempered droning voiced Scot.

So yeah, i am glad he has won Wimbledon, for himself.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #53 on: July 09, 2013, 09:54 PM »

Still feels wonderful!! Glad Andy's been a bit quieter today hopefully he's resting up and enjoying this victory with the people he loves the most.

Congrats Andy wimbledon champion 2013....Treat yourself Wink xx
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #54 on: July 09, 2013, 09:56 PM »

He's the best player on grass, he will come back next year as Sir Andy World Number 1, and number 1 seed raining champion!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #55 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59 PM »

Andy topped the tournament fo most break points won, 36! good lad
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #56 on: July 09, 2013, 10:23 PM »

Ok!! It's hit me now

Thought of this little ditty for Andy

To the tune of three lions

Andy Murray is the king
cause he won Wimbledon
And we know
He's the best
Cause he's better than Feder-er
Nole & Nadal
And the other Spaniard
And that Polish bist-ard
He's simply wonderful

One lion on the shirt
The other two are sleeping
Decades long of hurt
Andy must be beaming!!!

Time for bed, methinks!!!

trophy trophy trophy trophy trophy trophy trophy trophy trophy trophy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #57 on: July 09, 2013, 11:02 PM »

I don't think it became apparant until his win on Sunday how important it was for all of us that he won Wimbledon, winning the USO was amazing but the nagging thought at the back of each of our minds was that Wimbledon was a lot more important to him and us. I know some on here would have been happy with the gold medal and USO trophy, but i personally think he's too good a player to be always remembered as a one slam wonder (horrible term).

But it wasn't some selfish wish on my part, it wasn't so i could start trolling messageboards and forums with "suck it haters" it was for Andy himself, the guy works himself to near death, he has the pressure of a blithering bunch of so called journalists quoting him out of context, trying to tear him down at every opportunity and making his life miserable, and on top of that he has the general public to contend with who wrongly think his proffesional manner on a tennis court somehow mirrors how he acts outside of playing tennis, nothing more than a dour surly hot tempered droning voiced Scot.

So yeah, i am glad he has won Wimbledon, for himself.

Agree completely. Brilliant post.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #58 on: July 09, 2013, 11:08 PM »

I still can't believe it. Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion. A British Wimbledon singles champion. It was very close to the best moment of my life. Similar to what someone else said, he's now given me 3 of my top sporting moments (the others coming close being Super Saturday at the Olympics, Arsenal winning the league unbeaten and England winning the Ashes in Autralia). I've cried more times in the last couple of days than I have done in probably the last 15 years.

I don't know how many times I've rewatched the winning point. I'll never forget the up and down feeling throughout the match. When he lost those 3 CPs and it went to break point I thought that was it and Djokovic was going to win in 5. Will be an immediate purchase when the DVD/Blu-Ray is released.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 July 09, 2013, 11:12 PM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 11:30 PM »

I see that Simon Reed has joined the band of 'experts' who are saying that basically Andy only won because Novak was under par.  Why can they not let him win on his merits and brilliant play?  Novak is well known for his powers of recovery.  Andy had a 5 setter against Verdasco and then 4 setter against JJ.  So there was not much difference.

I am sure Andy just got under Novak's skin as he was basically outplaying him.  I actually managed to watch without panicking for once. I just had the feeling Andy was going to do it.

To be honest I think he's drunk when he writes those articles.

The Novak fans on another forum I visit were in no doubt that he would beat Andy. Now it turns out that he only lost because he was tired, hot and the crowd were mean to me. He lost the US Open because it was windy. Some fans just can't take a loss.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »