Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion

(Read 12571 times)
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #60 on: July 10, 2013, 12:30 AM »

I'm looking forward to sitting down with the match on I Player someday soon! My folks live over 100 miles away so I was reduced to clutching a teddy during that last game for comfort! By the end I was shaking/almost hyperventilating I was so nervous for Andy! Then afterwards I was so happy and a tad emotional too.

I can't remember if I already said on here but I supported Andy from the first match I saw him with his being Scottish (it was that simple) and his clear talent it's only in more recent years that I've realised there's so much more to like.  wub

Anyway he's done it! I downloaded the final 5Live Wimbledon podcast it's amazing having that winning moment and a running commentary on Andy's reactions and what he's doing before the trophy presentation happens.

So so pleased for Andy!  I realised on Sunday as I left the room in between points to organise washing and do dishes (!) just how important Wimbledon still was to Andy and us his fans even though he had won a Grand Slam. I am still in awe of how he got it done in three straight sets, albeit rather brutal ones!

Final thought in this ramble of mine. Isn't it interesting how when Andy accepted he might never win a Grand Slam in his career he won the US and he was also talking last week about being okay with never winning Wimbledon? It's almost like taking that psychological burden away let him just go for it.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #61 on: July 10, 2013, 01:02 AM »

I remember watching Wimbledon 24 years ago with my dad. He loved his tennis and he was desperate to see a British winner. I remember asking him when he thought we'd get one and if he thought we'd ever see a Scottish champion.  "Fingers crossed", he said. He died the next year. Little did we know that a little boy in Dunblane had already started playing.

I took flowers to my dad's grave yesterday and I said, "We have a Wimbledon Champion dad and he's a Scot". I think he'd be very proud.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #62 on: July 10, 2013, 01:05 AM »

I remember watching Wimbledon 24 years ago with my dad. He loved his tennis and he was desperate to see a British winner. I remember asking him when he thought we'd get one and if he thought we'd ever see a Scottish champion.  "Fingers crossed", he said. He died the next year. Little did we know that a little boy in Dunblane had already started playing.

I took flowers to my dad's grave yesterday and I said, "We have a Wimbledon Champion dad and he's a Scot". I think he'd be very proud.

Were they the good old days of Edberg, McEnroe, Connors and Borg?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #63 on: July 10, 2013, 01:05 AM »

So heart warming, bought a tear to my eye.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #64 on: July 10, 2013, 01:05 AM »

So heart warming, bought a tear to my eye.

Me too. I bet the heavens shone when Andy won.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #65 on: July 10, 2013, 01:41 AM »

Were they the good old days of Edberg, McEnroe, Connors and Borg?

Yep, he liked McEnroe but wasn't a fan of Borg.

I know he would have loved watching Andy. He'd be stunned by how physical tennis has become but he'd have been thrilled to see a Brit crowned Wimbledon Champion.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #66 on: July 10, 2013, 01:47 AM »

My Dad thought tennis was a game for wimps, and he used to mock me for playing it and watching Wimbledon on the telly, but then his idea of sport was limited to 22 'heroes' running up and down a football pitch.  Well he died 30 years ago and tennis wasn't for wimps then, so it would be interesting to know what he'd make of it now.   
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #67 on: July 10, 2013, 01:48 AM »

There is no other sport that rips your body apart more than tennis. It can be so severe it changes the way you move and how you function. Awful.
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #68 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48 AM »

I am thinking constantly about the last year this incredible man has given us. Olympic gold, US Open Champion, Wimbledon Champion. Not to mention the other trophies in between.

I love Lendl's comments about him being the best in the world. No arguments here. If he maintains this consistency (and I'm almost sure he will) he'll be #1 by early next year I reckon. I know that's not his main focus but it would be amazing for it to happen!

I hope he knows how much joy he's brought to so many people. It's incredible really. I've been walking on air for three days!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #69 on: July 10, 2013, 09:54 AM »

This from the Guardian letters page : "  [ Its] an undeniable fact of contemporary UK sporting success: the Celtic "fringes", non-whites and "plastic Brits" have disproportionately contributed to success in the Olympics, rugby (10 out 15 Lions in Saturday's thrashing of the Australians were Welsh), golf and now tennis, and the psychological reason is obvious: being outside Middle England you have to scrap for everything you achieve in life. Nice, white Middle England (personified by Tim Henman) has it too easy, or still thinks it's un-English to approach training and sport with rigorous professionalism. ..... Long live new Britain, with its glorious mixture of nations and cultures, which is taking us to the pinnacle of international sporting success."
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #70 on: July 10, 2013, 09:55 AM »

So much stuff in the papers this week about Andy. Some great photos, too. This is my favourite:

* Murray beach.jpg (60.35 KB, 634x469 - viewed 169 times.)
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #71 on: July 10, 2013, 09:57 AM »

This from the Guardian letters page : "  [ Its] an undeniable fact of contemporary UK sporting success: the Celtic "fringes", non-whites and "plastic Brits" have disproportionately contributed to success in the Olympics, rugby (10 out 15 Lions in Saturday's thrashing of the Australians were Welsh), golf and now tennis, and the psychological reason is obvious: being outside Middle England you have to scrap for everything you achieve in life. Nice, white Middle England (personified by Tim Henman) has it too easy, or still thinks it's un-English to approach training and sport with rigorous professionalism. ..... Long live new Britain, with its glorious mixture of nations and cultures, which is taking us to the pinnacle of international sporting success."

Actually, there are two camps:

a) A handful of crazy loners who are outside the system (like Murray).
b) A lorryload of lottery funding (Olympians).
[ Last edit by Grabcopy July 10, 2013, 10:13 AM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #72 on: July 10, 2013, 10:19 AM »

Actually, there are two camps:

a) A handful of crazy loners who are outside the system (like Murray).
b) A lorryload of lottery funding (Olympians).
   Agree up to a point. But regardless of funding the individuals are still people who are desperate to escape some personal trauma/circumstance and prove something. I sometimes feel that's a ceiling that Laura Robson may find it difficult to break through.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #73 on: July 10, 2013, 10:22 AM »

That's a lovely story. Quite choked me up out of nowhere. Thanks for sharing. My own dad died almost a year ago and he would have felt the same.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #74 on: July 10, 2013, 10:37 AM »

You've just done my head in. Can't work, can't focus.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »