Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion

(Read 10971 times)
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #75 on: July 10, 2013, 10:49 AM »

Djokovic being disadvantaged because of his tough semi is a total red herring.  Both men are supremely fit athletes with the best physio care imaginable.  Both had two days between the semi and the final.  And although it ws hot, the match itself wasn't especially long.

The truth is that Andy outplayed Novak.  The stats don't lie.  A total of 114 points to 96 is a convincing victory.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #76 on: July 10, 2013, 01:59 PM »

Djokovic being disadvantaged because of his tough semi is a total red herring.  Both men are supremely fit athletes with the best physio care imaginable.  Both had two days between the semi and the final.  And although it ws hot, the match itself wasn't especially long.

The truth is that Andy outplayed Novak.  The stats don't lie.  A total of 114 points to 96 is a convincing victory.

You know that, I know that, Andy knows that but most of all Djokovic and his team knows that!!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #77 on: July 10, 2013, 02:58 PM »

I remember watching Wimbledon 24 years ago with my dad. He loved his tennis and he was desperate to see a British winner. I remember asking him when he thought we'd get one and if he thought we'd ever see a Scottish champion.  "Fingers crossed", he said. He died the next year. Little did we know that a little boy in Dunblane had already started playing.

I took flowers to my dad's grave yesterday and I said, "We have a Wimbledon Champion dad and he's a Scot". I think he'd be very proud.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #78 on: July 10, 2013, 03:00 PM »

Speaking of Djoker's camp, i was impressed with their behaviour on Sunday, they seemed quite happy for Andy and more importantly respectful of how he played, his mum and dad also for hugging Judy like they did was impressive, both have gone up in my estimation
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #79 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17 PM »

Speaking of Djoker's camp, i was impressed with their behaviour on Sunday, they seemed quite happy for Andy and more importantly respectful of how he played, his mum and dad also for hugging Judy like they did was impressive, both have gone up in my estimation
  I think we tend to overlook the fact that these families have known each other for a long time.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #80 on: July 10, 2013, 03:25 PM »

+1 for that sentiment.  Classy.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #81 on: July 10, 2013, 03:25 PM »

....Except the media are desperate for a different slant: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/10169608/Novak-Djokovics-girlfriend-says-Andy-Murray-supporters-made-Wimbledon-difficult-viewing.html
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #82 on: July 10, 2013, 05:25 PM »

I remember watching Wimbledon 24 years ago with my dad. He loved his tennis and he was desperate to see a British winner. I remember asking him when he thought we'd get one and if he thought we'd ever see a Scottish champion.  "Fingers crossed", he said. He died the next year. Little did we know that a little boy in Dunblane had already started playing.

I took flowers to my dad's grave yesterday and I said, "We have a Wimbledon Champion dad and he's a Scot". I think he'd be very proud.

Don't actually have any words to express how I felt when I read this.

Iona, hug

IP Logged
Aran
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #83 on: July 10, 2013, 05:54 PM »

That point pretty much won him the title.

Yup, I think you're bang on the money there.

Remember that easy forehand he hit long against Nadal in 2011?  That 2011 Murray would have found so many different ways to lose last Sunday - it really has been a remarkable psychological change.

I'd really like to see him come from behind to win a final - he's obviously got the belief to do it now, and I think it would take him to a psychological level even higher than where he is now.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #84 on: July 10, 2013, 07:07 PM »

Andy's results have consistently improved through-out the years at Wimbledon:

2005: R3
2006: R4
2007: Injured
2008: QF
2009: SF
2010: SF
2011: SF
2012: Final
2013: Winner!
[ Last edit by laundry July 10, 2013, 07:12 PM ] IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #85 on: July 10, 2013, 07:15 PM »

The crowd were wonderfully pro Andy (loved the way they chanted his name before and after the last game) but not anti - Djokovic. Yes they cheered errors but from the perspective of it being a point for Andy. They did applaud Djokovic's winners. If it had been an Aussie at the Aus open,Frenchman at Roland Garros or American in New York I think he might have found them even tougher. And if Andy was playing him in Serbia it would be roles reversed. I'd like to see Andy get more of that sort of support when he plays in the UK.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #86 on: July 10, 2013, 08:03 PM »

FFS now I'm crying again.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #87 on: July 10, 2013, 08:05 PM »

Andy's results have consistently improved through-out the years at Wimbledon:

2005: R3
2006: R4
2007: Injured
2008: QF
2009: SF
2010: SF
2011: SF
2012: Final
2013: Winner!
What a difference that is to the US Open - F-R4-R3-SF-W

Just shows how incredibly consistent he is at Wimbledon. Now he just has to keep winning it until he retires. Easy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #88 on: July 10, 2013, 08:50 PM »

Yup, I think you're bang on the money there.

Remember that easy forehand he hit long against Nadal in 2011?  That 2011 Murray would have found so many different ways to lose last Sunday - it really has been a remarkable psychological change.

I'd really like to see him come from behind to win a final - he's obviously got the belief to do it now, and I think it would take him to a psychological level even higher than where he is now.
I won't forget that shot.  Murray just couldn't put it out of his mind.  Changed days indeed!

IP Logged
Woos
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #89 on: July 10, 2013, 08:57 PM »

I bought the Links of London charm of the men's trophy today. I'm going to have it engraved with the date and wear it on a necklace. Smile

For anyone who wants to see a hilarious but emotional version of the last few points, watch this video which recreates the whole thing in Lego!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2013/jul/10/brick-by-brick-andy-murray-wins-at-wimbledon
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »