Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion

(Read 12541 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #90 on: July 10, 2013, 09:09 PM »

The crowd were wonderfully pro Andy (loved the way they chanted his name before and after the last game) but not anti - Djokovic. Yes they cheered errors but from the perspective of it being a point for Andy. They did applaud Djokovic's winners. If it had been an Aussie at the Aus open,Frenchman at Roland Garros or American in New York I think he might have found them even tougher. And if Andy was playing him in Serbia it would be roles reversed. I'd like to see Andy get more of that sort of support when he plays in the UK.

I couldn't agree more.  Even Becker said the crowd, although hugely pro-Andy, were respectful to Djoko.  Novak has played Davis Cup - he knew exactly what to expect.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #91 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11 PM »

I bought the Links of London charm of the men's trophy today. I'm going to have it engraved with the date and wear it on a necklace. Smile

For anyone who wants to see a hilarious but emotional version of the last few points, watch this video which recreates the whole thing in Lego!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2013/jul/10/brick-by-brick-andy-murray-wins-at-wimbledon

This is brilliant - hilarious - and it was still a relief to see Djoko's BH hit the net !

Thanks Woos
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #92 on: July 10, 2013, 09:23 PM »

I bought the Links of London charm of the men's trophy today. I'm going to have it engraved with the date and wear it on a necklace. Smile

Where did you get it Woos?  I wanted to buy it as a birthday present for my mum but everywhere I look online is out of stock ...
IP Logged
Woos
Challenger Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #93 on: July 10, 2013, 09:50 PM »

I got it from Links of London in Lime Street London. Their telephone number is 0207 6233101.
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #94 on: July 10, 2013, 09:56 PM »

I got it from Links of London in Lime Street London. Their telephone number is 0207 6233101.

Thanks Smile  Might see if I can get them to ship one to her!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #95 on: July 11, 2013, 03:09 AM »

For anyone who wants to see a hilarious but emotional version of the last few points, watch this video which recreates the whole thing in Lego!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2013/jul/10/brick-by-brick-andy-murray-wins-at-wimbledon

That is absolutely amazing.  Thanks Woos.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #96 on: July 11, 2013, 06:19 AM »

Andy's appearance in the 75th anniversary beano. Brilliant!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-23259765
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #97 on: July 11, 2013, 08:48 AM »

We all have a challenge ahead of us- assuming of course that our man goes on to win more Slams, as we're pretty sure he will, how do we avoid the Federer-fan curse of turning into smug idiots? I guess it helps that Andy isn't a smug idiot. Do you think fans come to resemble their players??
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #98 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16 AM »

LOl snorkel, I think the suffering we've gone through has purified us, and made us immune from any smug viruses floating around .... Think
Wink
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #99 on: July 11, 2013, 01:48 PM »

I read that with two thoughts in mind.

Firstly, Jelena is going to concern herself with Novak. He is her boyfriend. Even under normal circumstances she can look like Bambi during his matches, so watching him try to fight with Andy in that way must have been tough. Maybe she can relate to what Kim has been through over the years, especially at Wimbledon.

The other thought I had, based on reading some of the daft comment  beneath the piece, was that the crowd was not unfair. They had a bit of a go at Djokovic when he wanted Lahyani to step in on a call he didn't agree with, when he didn't have any challenges left, but other than that they were very fair, if pro-Andy, and quite right too. They didn't cheer double faults, didn't boo Novak without some reason.

It's amusing to me to read comments from people suggesting that crowds never used to behave like that at Wimbledon, it was polite and quiet etc, in the past. What do these people think it is, a garden party where a bit of tennis is played on the side?

To my mind Wimbledon was brilliant on Sunday. Andy won, which helps, but also, for the first time it felt like one of the other slams, a proper sporting event where it is fine for the host country to support their own players, providing they are also respectful to others. It's the first time I can remember a crowd really getting behind Andy, or any Brit for that matter. It's the first time I can remember hearing a crowd chant a player's name, even during the match. It's also the first time I can remember people in the Royal Box getting as in to it as everyone else. It was a wonderful spectacle to see.

While we're talking about the crowd, did anyone else hear clapping from the commentary box at the end of the match on the BBC's coverage?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #100 on: July 11, 2013, 02:05 PM »

I still get prickles when I hear the way the crowd were chanting Andy's name - they do it when he plays Davis Cup at Braehead but that's about 2-3000 people and is awesome enough - but 15000! Wow!. I was in the Olympic swimming arena when Becky Adlington swam and Sunday reminded me of how they chanted her name that day which made it really easy for me to feel like I was on centre court hearing them. Like you I loved seeing fok in the royal box leaping to their feet at points and cheering and yelling. The look on some of their faces when it dawned on them Andy was actually about to serve for the title... We definitely need more atmosphere like that (looking fwd to creating some at the 02). I think the hill at Wimbledon has helped - when it was first there when the new court one was opened it was never as busy but Henmania got folk into the habit of crowding on and cheering the big screen and it just got more and more popular. Now some of that attitude is spilling into the centre/no 1 court crowd. Would love to hear them roar like that when he walks out on opening day next year! That sort of atmosphere makes better viewing live or on tv and is more likely to spur youngsters to see it as something they want to be a part of.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #101 on: July 11, 2013, 02:16 PM »

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wimbledon-queue-rape-claim-probed-213025236.html

Didn't hear anything about this.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #102 on: July 11, 2013, 02:19 PM »

I read that with two thoughts in mind.

Firstly, Jelena is going to concern herself with Novak. He is her boyfriend. Even under normal circumstances she can look like Bambi during his matches, so watching him try to fight with Andy in that way must have been tough. Maybe she can relate to what Kim has been through over the years, especially at Wimbledon.

The other thought I had, based on reading some of the daft comment  beneath the piece, was that the crowd was not unfair. They had a bit of a go at Djokovic when he wanted Lahyani to step in on a call he didn't agree with, when he didn't have any challenges left, but other than that they were very fair, if pro-Andy, and quite right too. They didn't cheer double faults, didn't boo Novak without some reason.

It's amusing to me to read comments from people suggesting that crowds never used to behave like that at Wimbledon, it was polite and quiet etc, in the past. What do these people think it is, a garden party where a bit of tennis is played on the side?

To my mind Wimbledon was brilliant on Sunday. Andy won, which helps, but also, for the first time it felt like one of the other slams, a proper sporting event where it is fine for the host country to support their own players, providing they are also respectful to others. It's the first time I can remember a crowd really getting behind Andy, or any Brit for that matter. It's the first time I can remember hearing a crowd chant a player's name, even during the match. It's also the first time I can remember people in the Royal Box getting as in to it as everyone else. It was a wonderful spectacle to see.

While we're talking about the crowd, did anyone else hear clapping from the commentary box at the end of the match on the BBC's coverage?

Yeah i expect that clapping was from Henman, he was truly over the moon about Andy winning.

With regards to crowds, i don't understand some people complaining about it, you only ever have to go to any Davis Cup match to know all about home support, something which i might add has been pretty low key at Wimbledon until Sunday.

Does Jelena think that if a DC match was playes in Serbia you'd be able to hear a pin drop?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #103 on: July 11, 2013, 04:55 PM »

Yeah i expect that clapping was from Henman, he was truly over the moon about Andy winning.

With regards to crowds, i don't understand some people complaining about it, you only ever have to go to any Davis Cup match to know all about home support, something which i might add has been pretty low key at Wimbledon until Sunday.

Does Jelena think that if a DC match was playes in Serbia you'd be able to hear a pin drop?

I thought it was Henman. He was delighted, you could tell. Mind you, Castle sounded over the moon as well. I thought they'd done a pretty good job of being neutral through the match, but just at the end there, I think they were both really pulling for Andy to get it done. It reminded me so much of the Olympics!

The thing is, I think the people who complain about these things just watch Wimbledon, and maybe Queen's as well. They think that quiet, starchy atmosphere is the way tennis crowds are supposed to be. They don't see passionate Davis Cup crowds, or the AO or USO (or RG for that matter) where it is acceptable to support your own. Mind you, the USO crowd was passionate enough for our man last year too Smile. As you say, home support has been low key (that's one way to put it Smile ) for Andy before. I suspect and hope, it won't be now.

I just don't quite understand Jelena's thinking, apart from being disappointed for Novak. She must have attended Davis Cup ties in Serbia, must have heard the crowds. Why would she assume this match, which most thought was always likely, and was also anticipated with a lot of excitement, would be so different?

As I suggested before, I could get it if the crowd had been unfair. I could understand if the crowd had behaved like some of Federer's fans at the WTF last year, when Andy was booed and jeered before a ball had ever been struck, but it wasn't like that at all. It was a wonderful match, a great spectacle, and the right man won Smile.

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #104 on: July 11, 2013, 05:13 PM »

I was watching the Djoker's body language in the third set. I'd say by about 3-4, he expected to lose. The sheer weight of the support for Andy was too much. He almost looked like it would be rude to win. Don't get me wrong, Andy deserved to win, but the partisan crowd was a HUGE factor.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »