Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 20 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion

(Read 11282 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #120 on: July 11, 2013, 10:43 PM »

We'll never know what might have happened if Djokovic had broken Andy when he was serving for it.

Djokovic might have been energised and won in five. Then again, overhauling a two set lead is tough. Would Djokovic have had the energy? He didn't at the USO, and he's better on the hard courts than he is on grass.

The thing I thought at the time was that if Djokovic broke, it would depend on whether Andy was fatigued and whether or not he got into a panic.

To my mind Andy didn't look tired in that last game. He just tightened up at 40-0. Andy seemed to get anxious when Djokovic was coming back at him, but at the same time he didn't do much wrong, kept his head and stayed in the fight.

I don't think the Andy of now would have given up without a fight. Maybe he would have broken straight back and then served it out, to still win in three. Maybe it would have gone to four or five.

I just honestly think that Andy would have regrouped and found a way, but we'll never know. His name is on the trophy and the honours board. That's good enough for me.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #121 on: July 11, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Home fans don't have to support the home player, though.

I don't recall saying they did.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #122 on: July 11, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Had Djokovic broken back I think Andy would have been deflated and third set would have gone similar way of Shanghai second set - basically completely in the balance. He may well have managed to sneak it. Had it gone four he'd probably have lost that set comfortably, but I think he'd have responded strongly in the fifth.

Basically there's really no way of knowing. Just thank the lucky stars we never had to find out. I genuinely don't know if I could have carried on watching. I switched off early in Shanghai third set because I couldn't actually stomach it, and Sunday was 10x worse.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #123 on: July 11, 2013, 11:17 PM »

Let's not dwell on what's ifs. All that matters is our boy won. That last game I was begging for an ace.  nervous
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #124 on: July 11, 2013, 11:53 PM »

It's not really dwelling on if's, it's just a natural human responce, i have found myself shuddering at the thought since Sunday, but it just reinforces how mentally strong Andy is now. We all saw Federer do exactly that against Novak at the USO in 2010 and 2011, so it can happen. One thing for sure though is now Andy has crossed that line, if he finds himself in the same position again he will be even more fearless, and next time even if did suffer a choke serving for a slam, he probably would refocus and win it anyway Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #125 on: July 12, 2013, 12:01 AM »

Aileen ( and others), you really should let this go. Andy won, Novak lost. Yes, things might have turned out different in many ways for either player, but Andy won in straight sets in a very intense and exciting game. We should rejoice, and stop second-guessing alternative scenarios.
With most people I reckon it's due to stress, and there was no shortage of it in that match.  First there's the huge feeling of relief, then the 'what if' anxieties start to creep in. It wouldn't surprise me if Andy plays that last game over and over in his mind for a little while once things start to settle down.

That last game I was begging for an ace.  nervous
Me too.  After it went from 40-0 to deuce I was rooted to the spot, and Andy said later that he started to feel panicky then because he didn't think he had much left in the tank mentally, so hats off to him for keeping his nerve while we were losing ours - but then again desperation can often work wonders.

[ Last edit by Aileen July 12, 2013, 12:16 AM ] IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #126 on: July 12, 2013, 02:05 AM »

I just rewatched footage of Andy being shown his name on the winners board. I love his reaction.  clap
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #127 on: July 12, 2013, 02:18 AM »

Just been listening to Simon Mayo show from Monday night and he had Paul Young on and they were discussing how he was on stage singing when Andy won - found some footage.

Oh, the Jeremy Vine show from Monday has Neil Harman on talking about the win.  It's available on listen again until Sunday I believe.

IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #128 on: July 12, 2013, 09:29 AM »

Just thought. Can't wait for the first mens singles match on centre court next year!! At least if you are planning on going, you will know what days Andy is on this time.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #129 on: July 12, 2013, 10:28 AM »

I woke up this morning and remembered this strange dream where Andy Murray won Wimbledon, thrashing Novak Djokovic in straight sets. Ha! If only, eh?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #130 on: July 12, 2013, 12:23 PM »

I woke up this morning and remembered this strange dream where Andy Murray won Wimbledon, thrashing Novak Djokovic in straight sets. Ha! If only, eh?
Hah, you always did have a screw loose.

Trust me, Murray will go down in history as the best player to never to win a Slam.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #131 on: July 12, 2013, 01:00 PM »

Finally got a chance to sit down & watch it again and with the words ''The waiting is over, Andy Murray is the Wimbledon champion'' i just welled up again!!

Just watching Andy slowly realize what he had done was magical. My favourite moment was when he was on the balcony, Andy fist pumping with the trophy in his arms & the crowd going crazy.

Just had a visit from one of my mates & he was back hame during Wimbledon & he went to Dunblane for the the final!!!! 
IP Logged
althusser
Junior

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #132 on: July 12, 2013, 03:25 PM »

An amazing result - five days later and I am still super-chuffed!

But I have suffered post-traumatic stress from the last game too - came in big waves on Tues and Weds. The break points felt like match points for the joker. I fear I jinxed it when I said to someone a couple of days before the final that I would never go through anything like the five hour stomach-churning of the USO again. But in fact that game alone proved more stressful!!

But the good thing is that no matter how many times you re-run it - the point is Andy DID close it out, stood tall on the break points and nothing is going to change the fact that he is Wimbledon champ!!!

Also am so glad he has got a second slam - he deserves it. And it the current era, its an amazing achievement.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #133 on: July 12, 2013, 03:41 PM »

will be finding great use of my middle fingers for all the people who used to laugh behind my back when Andy went out!!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy Murray: Wimbledon Champion « Reply #134 on: July 12, 2013, 04:31 PM »

An amazing result - five days later and I am still super-chuffed!

But I have suffered post-traumatic stress from the last game too - came in big waves on Tues and Weds. The break points felt like match points for the joker. I fear I jinxed it when I said to someone a couple of days before the final that I would never go through anything like the five hour stomach-churning of the USO again. But in fact that game alone proved more stressful!!

But the good thing is that no matter how many times you re-run it - the point is Andy DID close it out, stood tall on the break points and nothing is going to change the fact that he is Wimbledon champ!!!

Also am so glad he has got a second slam - he deserves it. And it the current era, its an amazing achievement.

Good posting!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 20 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »