Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy returns to Davis Cup duty for GB 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy returns to Davis Cup duty for GB

(Read 502 times)
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Andy returns to Davis Cup duty for GB « on: June 30, 2011, 04:11 PM »

Hi.  I don't think anyone's mentioned this before on the forum (apologies if I'm wrong) but it was confirmed yesterday that Andy will play for GB in the tie next week (starting 08 July) against the mighty Luxembourg!

Apparently players have to compete in two ties this year to be eligible for the 2012 Olympic Games, although I couldn't possibly comment if that is Andy's prime motivating factor or not.

I picked up on a forum earlier in the year that he intended to return to competing for GB this year.  Then, in March I found out that that the Luxbourg contest was to be held in my home city of Glasgow.

Cutting a long story short, I ordered two tickets for the opening Friday for my son (13) and me, on the first day of sale, got a prime central position and even got the kid's ticket  free.  It was worth a stab, as how else are we ever going to get to see him play live? Camping out at Wimbledon for a few days isn't really an option for a full time working, family man from Glasgow.  And you  can never be sure what court he's going to play on, and then there's the weather and so on.

Now, a few months later, there is the very real prospect of Andy opening the Davis Cup tie, five days after Wimbledon, in his native Scotland as the new Wimbledon Champion.  

You know what- it might just happen - what an occasion that would be!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Andy returns to Davis Cup duty for GB « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:03 PM »

Oh I think there's a grrreat chance of that happening! I hope you and your son enjoy the day!
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Andy returns to Davis Cup duty for GB « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:36 PM »

I'll be there at Braehead as well. Smile
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Andy returns to Davis Cup duty for GB « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:53 PM »

Now, a few months later, there is the very real prospect of Andy opening the Davis Cup tie, five days after Wimbledon, in his native Scotland as the new Wimbledon Champion. 

You know what- it might just happen - what an occasion that would be!
Your dreams are my dreams Mickey. Hope they come true. Anyway enjoy the experience!
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy returns to Davis Cup duty for GB « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:54 PM »

Was very surprised when I heard Andy was confirmed for this,  I think you must have the reason spot on there mickeypops, have a fabulous time! Smile  Gutted I'm not up in Glasgow just now!
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Re: Andy returns to Davis Cup duty for GB « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 10:20 AM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.  We are really excited.  Even if Andy's not the Wimbledon Champion, it will be fantastic just to see him play.

And if he is Britain's first male Grand Slam champ since the Roman Empire or whenever - well, how great will his homecoming be?

The dream lives on!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »