Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters

(Read 10428 times)
terryfried
Futures Level

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 11:46 AM »

This is NOT a good draw. Its not that I dont want to see him play Nadal. its not that I would prefer them to play on another surface first. It is simply that it is the hardest semi he could be lined up for at any tournament this year. Fine play him and fine play him on clay(eventually) but if Nadal had been in DJOKOVIC's side of the Draw, Andy would have a realistic chance(no more) of reaching a Clay final getting the points. Then playing Nadal in the final. That would be the best thing to see.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 11:50 AM »

This is NOT a good draw. Its not that I dont want to see him play Nadal. its not that I would prefer them to play on another surface first. It is simply that it is the hardest semi he could be lined up for at any tournament this year. Fine play him and fine play him on clay(eventually) but if Nadal had been in DJOKOVIC's side of the Draw, Andy would have a realistic chance(no more) of reaching a Clay final getting the points. Then playing Nadal in the final. That would be the best thing to see.

I see your point, but see it this way, what if Murray was to beat Nadal (probably not going to), but if he did come RG Murray will have loads of points in his bag and also heaps of confidence, thus the pressure levels will lower and Murray will be able to do astronomically well at the tournament. It's all a confidence booster in my eyes for Andy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #47 on: April 14, 2013, 12:28 PM »

I'd much rather Andy plays Monfils than Wawrinka.
me too tmh.  Monfils is still finding his feet after being out with injury so long and is erratic at the best of times.  
Someone called this R2 but in fact will be R3 as Andy has bye to R2.
As regards jet lag Michelle, I guess Almagro is the most vulnerable given he has gone deep into the Houston tournament (though not sure if he made the final?)
Great news about Jamie.  I don't know his partner at all but doubly good news to beat the Bryan bros who I can't stand.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 12:37 PM »

He'll also be weary and jet lagged!!!

Sorry! Who will be jet-lagged? Andy or Wawrinka? Casablanca to Monte Carlo is not a huge distance. Admittedly they are in different time zones, but I don't feel that will have a detrimental effect on Wawrinka.

Djokovic's playing surprises me and there maybe an element of selfishness on his part. His doctors advised him to rest for up to 10 days., but he is playing MC. Is this because:-

1. He will lose some points, allowing Andy to creep closer to his no1.
2. Knowing that Ferrer had withdrawn and by playing, Andy would be placed in Nadal's half.
3. He may yet withdraw, but the draw has already been made.

Djokovic often resorts to unacceptable gamesmanship. Witness his MTO before Andy's servicing for USO title and other cases when he used MTO to upset his opponent's play.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #49 on: April 14, 2013, 12:40 PM »

Yep Ruthie ^^ Almagro is in Houston final. Plays Isner later.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #50 on: April 14, 2013, 12:43 PM »

thanks tmh - neither will have much time to adjust then.  Have a feeling Isner is in the other half of the draw but Almagro could possibly be in Andy's path though perhaps less likely if he is jet lagged.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #51 on: April 14, 2013, 12:49 PM »

Isner has Gulbis in R1 as well! Ouch.

Almagro has Goffin. Both will presumably play on Tuesday.

Andy currently practicing with Marcel Granollers according to Neil Harman.

Main draw is already underway. Dolgopolov beat Tomic 2&4, Kohlschreiber beat Bellucci 4&2.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #52 on: April 14, 2013, 12:52 PM »

I somehow don't see Isner going very far and this could be a great opportunity for Goffin too.  Didn't realise the main draw started today already.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 02:12 PM »

[quote author=OldScotSupport link=topic=25576.msg868918#msg868918 date=13659

Djokovic's playing surprises me and there maybe an element of selfishness on his part. His doctors advised him to rest for up to 10 days., but he is playing MC. Is this because:-

1. He will lose some points, allowing Andy to creep closer to his no1.
2. Knowing that Ferrer had withdrawn and by playing, Andy would be placed in Nadal's half.
3. He may yet withdraw, but the draw has already been made.

Djokovic often resorts to unacceptable gamesmanship. Witness his MTO before Andy's servicing for USO title and other cases when he used MTO to upset his opponent's play.
[/quote]

Good points!! Will be interesting to see if he withdraws now the draw has been made!
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 02:21 PM »

That attitude is defeatist. If Andy had the same attitude as some of his fans he would not of won half as much as he has. It's quite pathetic that Andy has fans that have him losing before he even steps on court!  Whistle
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 02:38 PM »

That attitude is defeatist. If Andy had the same attitude as some of his fans he would not of won half as much as he has. It's quite pathetic that Andy has fans that have him losing before he even steps on court!  Whistle

Good posting!                           Keep it up we need to keep sending positive vibes.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 02:54 PM »

Yes Michelle is right. Andy is ranked no2 and I'm sure he'll acquit himself just fine.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 03:14 PM »

That attitude is defeatist. If Andy had the same attitude as some of his fans he would not of won half as much as he has. It's quite pathetic that Andy has fans that have him losing before he even steps on court!  Whistle

Welcome rob---lol you make good points !! The MW family is a complex one, but one thing we all have in common is our desire for andy to do well...some posters however have a funny way of showing it!!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #58 on: April 14, 2013, 03:17 PM »

Yep there is certainly a doomsayer mentality here from some people, a mentality that thankfully Andy does not mirror.

As far as i'm concerned I would like Andy to meet Rafa in every clay event this season, to hell with the lopsided H2H, if he wants to improve his game on clay, facing the greatest ever clay court player would be a good start.

Djokovic had a 0-9 record against Rafa on clay until 2011 but then won 2 back to back matches against him, in fact i'm pretty sure he has been quoted as saying that he thinks Rafa is not unbeatable on clay, that's the sort of positive thinking Andy needs.

Anything is possible!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 03:21 PM »

Both Wawrinka and Almagro should be reasonably tired - Almagro in particular. So Andy's draw may open up at some point.

I am okay with Nadal falling on Andy's half of the draw though Nadal's draw is ridiculously easy when it should be the other way given his status.

I believe Andy will be able to make the semi here and maybe we'll worry about things once he gets there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »