Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters

(Read 9408 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #135 on: April 16, 2013, 12:24 PM »

No need to be rude.  All I did was give my view on the difference between being defeatist and being realistic.  You are reading way too much into it if you think it's "holier-than-thou", and I'd suggest you are the one handing out the rows, so if you don't like it, don't do it.

Andy has always been realistic, but you won't catch him saying he won't win.  He'll just say it's tough.
Why do you think I was referring to you?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #136 on: April 16, 2013, 12:32 PM »

Aye right prod!! Girls only  :p
No Cocktail for you then.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #137 on: April 16, 2013, 01:31 PM »

All in all, I think it's best to have a positive attitude about anything. Yes, Nadal is most likely to win should they meet but Andy has a chance too. I don't think Andy can afford to go into the match thinking, "I can't possibly beat this guy. He's the best on clay after all". He needs to go into the match thinking, "I have no reason to believe I won't be able to beat this guy. If I play my best, anything is possible." Soderling, Nole etc. have all done it. Even Federer has beaten Nadal on clay. If Andy stands 5% chance against Nadal then Andy fans should bank on that. I wouldn't encourage people to focus more on Nadal's chances. That's a bit given. Andy fans should focus on the possibilities and not on the negativity. Besides, we have nothing to lose. The more Andy plays Nadal on clay the better he’ll get each time.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #138 on: April 16, 2013, 01:59 PM »

No Cocktail for you then.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #139 on: April 16, 2013, 03:13 PM »

All in all, I think it's best to have a positive attitude about anything. Yes, Nadal is most likely to win should they meet but Andy has a chance too. I don't think Andy can afford to go into the match thinking, "I can't possibly beat this guy. He's the best on clay after all". He needs to go into the match thinking, "I have no reason to believe I won't be able to beat this guy. If I play my best, anything is possible." Soderling, Nole etc. have all done it. Even Federer has beaten Nadal on clay. If Andy stands 5% chance against Nadal then Andy fans should bank on that. I wouldn't encourage people to focus more on Nadal's chances. That's a bit given. Andy fans should focus on the possibilities and not on the negativity. Besides, we have nothing to lose. The more Andy plays Nadal on clay the better he’ll get each time.
Andy has given Nadal a run for his money on clay.  Monte Carlo and RG 2011, for example - and on both occasions Andy was carrying an injury, so what might a fit Andy achieve?
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #140 on: April 16, 2013, 07:43 PM »

Andy has given Nadal a run for his money on clay.  Monte Carlo and RG 2011, for example - and on both occasions Andy was carrying an injury, so what might a fit Andy achieve?
There is no doubt what so ever in my mind that Andy can beat Nadal on this surface. Obviously Nadal would be favorite but Andy is a great player, he can beat anyone, anywhere.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #141 on: April 16, 2013, 07:52 PM »

There is no doubt what so ever in my mind that Andy can beat Nadal on this surface. Obviously Nadal would be favorite but Andy is a great player, he can beat anyone, anywhere.

If he is in the mood and feeling utterly confident. I can't say he's not looking forward to it.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #142 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58 PM »

Andy has given Nadal a run for his money on clay.  Monte Carlo and RG 2011, for example - and on both occasions Andy was carrying an injury, so what might a fit Andy achieve?

What prevails in the end is, of course, the fact that Nadal is more confident than Andy especially on clay and his years of experience again, on this surface. By now and in between, Andy has gone through all sorts of experiences himself, so we are talking about a slightly different and a bit more mature Andy these days. He will just have to be very smart about it and give Nadal no clue as to how’s he feeling on court. Ferrer had no clue as Andy showed minimum frustration even when his serves were letting him down big time. That attitude is vital and will get to Nadal…eventually. I am sure his Monte Carol in 2011 will help Andy too. Rome wasn’t built in a day and it’s the steps like 2011 MC and RG that will give him the boost to go one extra mile and probably that's all he needs right now.   
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #143 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42 PM »

Interesting little snippet from The New Zealand Herald, in which Andy mentions the back problem which dogged his clay-court season last year and which still has the potential to cause him trouble -

"I've felt much better the last few days than I did coming into Monte Carlo last year," Murray said. "I think it's something that will always be with me. [I need to do] the right exercises, have the right treatment, the right amount of rest and not do anything silly or play other sports. I used to play a lot of football and golf. I've stopped all of that now and the back has been better.

"Tennis: Murray puts fitness worries behind him" - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10877708
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #144 on: April 16, 2013, 10:05 PM »

Interesting little snippet from The New Zealand Herald, in which Andy mentions the back problem which dogged his clay-court season last year and which still has the potential to cause him trouble -

"I've felt much better the last few days than I did coming into Monte Carlo last year," Murray said. "I think it's something that will always be with me. [I need to do] the right exercises, have the right treatment, the right amount of rest and not do anything silly or play other sports. I used to play a lot of football and golf. I've stopped all of that now and the back has been better.

"Tennis: Murray puts fitness worries behind him" - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10877708
Yes I've read that in a number of places Aileen - I guess it's taken from a press conference.  It's reassuring that Andy has worked out how to manage the back but clearly it will always be a vulnerability.  I remember him saying a while ago he now does pilates and I know from experience that is very helpful in keeping back problems at bay.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #145 on: April 16, 2013, 10:17 PM »

Yes I've read that in a number of places Aileen - I guess it's taken from a press conference.  It's reassuring that Andy has worked out how to manage the back but clearly it will always be a vulnerability.  I remember him saying a while ago he now does pilates and I know from experience that is very helpful in keeping back problems at bay.
It's the first time I've seen a reference to it Ruthie but I did wonder what had happened to the back problem because Andy led us to believe he would have it properly attended to at the end of last season, yet seemed to carry on as normal.  Luckily he has an excellent team to help him.

Maybe I should try pilates myself because my lower back can give me problems now, mainly I think due to decades of bad posture.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #146 on: April 17, 2013, 02:58 AM »

I wouldnt write off Andy's chances against Nadal should they meet. Nadal has a great record on clay....but Im looking forward to seeing where Andy's game is against Rafa on clay. Rafa hasnt played a much fitter, stronger and more confident Andy since his major success last year.

Im not thinking Andy will beat Rafa at the first clay court event...but come the RG Open ... he will have acclimated to the surface...and I feel he would then give Rafa some real problems. Who knows tho.....Andy might already be at an advanced stage already.... and if he is ..he can beat Nadal.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #147 on: April 17, 2013, 08:06 AM »

It's the first time I've seen a reference to it Ruthie but I did wonder what had happened to the back problem because Andy led us to believe he would have it properly attended to at the end of last season, yet seemed to carry on as normal.  Luckily he has an excellent team to help him.

Maybe I should try pilates myself because my lower back can give me problems now, mainly I think due to decades of bad posture.
I'm wondering whether the pilates helped clear it up Aileen so that he didn't need an operation and/or that he was advised against an op in the end.  I would definitely recommend pilates for the lower back -it helps strengthen the muscles and also teaches you better posture.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #148 on: April 17, 2013, 08:41 AM »

Pilates won't really cure back problems as such, but as Ruthie says, it's good for strengthening all of the supporting muscles, so helps to protect it, and encourages good posture and makes you less likely to strain something when you are lifting things etc. 

It's a shame if Andy can't really play football or golf these days, but the healthier he stays now, the better shape he'll be in for all those things when he does retire from tennis.
IP Logged
mina

Re: Andy @ the Monte Carlo Masters « Reply #149 on: April 17, 2013, 09:23 AM »

hope it will be easy match for andy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »