Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013

(Read 5042 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « on: September 15, 2013, 10:06 PM »

The Asian swing has begun! After a poor US Open, where Andy was unable to defend the title he won in excellent fashion last year, Andy came back this weekend to play the Davis Cup and try and assist Team GB into the World Group for the first time in five years. He succeeded, easing off Borna Coric and Ivan Dodig in straight sets, as well as partnering Colin Fleming in the doubles, where they won in four sets. Andy played well all weekend and despite the expected burn out after his historic Wimbledon victory, Andy is beginning to look as good as he was when he lifted the golden trophy at SW19.

Andy normally plays well in the Asian swing, with past results showing tournament wins in Bangkok in 2011 where he routined Donald Young in the final, twice a winner of the Shanghai Rolex Masters beating Federer and Ferrer in the final, and winning Tokyo singles and doubles in 2011 where he famously bagelled Rafael Nadal with the loss of only four points in the third set of the final.

Andy is joined in Bangkok by Berdych, Raonic, Simon and Feliciano Lopez. The field is strong, so Andy will have to work extra hard to win the title here.

[ Last edit by GangstaMurray September 16, 2013, 01:22 PM ] IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:38 PM »

Lets not give Berdych anymore confidence.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:44 PM »

Nice introduction Gangsta. Time that Berdy got whooped good and proper, by Andy really.
Come on our man! cmon yeah
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Berdych is the only player in the top 13 (World Rankings) not to have won a tournament this year!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:21 PM »

Berdych is the only player in the top 13 (World Rankings) not to have won a tournament this year!

Yet somehow has reached a career high ranking.

Just shows consistency in reaching latter stages in events helps rankings a lot!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:30 AM »

Raonic worries me should Andy have to play him.  Remember Tokyo last year?  That was a very close match indeed with the 2nd and 3rd sets going to a tie-break after Raonic took the 1st 6-3.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 02:00 AM »

Raonic worries me should Andy have to play him.  Remember Tokyo last year?  That was a very close match indeed with the 2nd and 3rd sets going to a tie-break after Raonic took the 1st 6-3.

Didn't Andy have match points against Raonic? I seem to remember after the US Open he played and lost 3 matches when he had match points. I'm sure Raonic was one, Djokovic in Shanghai and Jerzy in Paris. Am I wrong?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 02:36 AM »

Didn't Andy have match points against Raonic? I seem to remember after the US Open he played and lost 3 matches when he had match points. I'm sure Raonic was one, Djokovic in Shanghai and Jerzy in Paris. Am I wrong?
Yes, Andy had two match points against Raonic when he was 6-5 up in the 3rd with Raonic serving.  In Shanghai Djokovic saved five MPs in the tie-break, finally taking it 13-11.  Andy also failed to convert a MP against Jerzy in Paris when he was serving for the 2nd set at 5-4 and went on to lose the ensuing tie-break before tamely losing the 3rd 6-2.  It was in this match, if you remember, that Andy got so frustrated with himself for letting that MP slip away from him with some sloppy play that he was booed by the crowd.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 17, 2013, 02:40 AM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:59 AM »

Yes, Andy had two match points against Raonic when he was 6-5 up in the 3rd with Raonic serving.  In Shanghai Djokovic saved five MPs in the tie-break, finally taking it 13-11.  Andy also failed to convert a MP against Jerzy in Paris when he was serving for the 2nd set at 5-4 and went on to lose the ensuing tie-break before tamely losing the 3rd 6-2.  It was in this match, if you remember, that Andy got so frustrated with himself for letting that MP slip away from him with some sloppy play that he was booed by the crowd.

Thanks for the confirmation Aileen.

Andy booed by the French. When is he not?
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 06:19 AM »

Didn't Andy have some sort of virus last year during the Asian swing?
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 07:07 AM »

Yes.  I don't think Andy was that fussed to have an early exit from Japan for a bit of extra rest, and the match-points against Djokovic were amost all on Nole's serve.  He faded fast in that third set, obviously not fully fit.  The JJ loss was unfortunate, but I don't think Andy much cared about winning and was slightly taken by surprise.   Way too much was made of those three matches.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 03:31 PM »

Didn't Andy have some sort of virus last year during the Asian swing?
He was suffering from a chest infection which he said he probably picked up on the flight to Tokyo.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 04:16 PM »

We will be in Wales over the period of this tournament and home for Tokyo. I will have my laptop with me at the guest house though so I'll be able to catch up on MW and with how Andy is getting on. Loved watching Davis Cup - it did him good to play, never mind the few points - it must have been moral boosting and very enjoyable. Lets hope he does well in the run up to O2.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 04:29 PM »

Just a reminder about time differences in the Far East for Andy's matches -

Bangkok, BST + 6 hrs

Tokyo, BST + 8 hrs

Shanghai, BST + 7 hrs
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 04:46 PM »

Just a reminder about time differences in the Far East for Andy's matches -

Bangkok, BST + 6 hrs

Tokyo, BST + 8 hrs

Shanghai, BST + 7 hrs

thumb up
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »