Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Reply
Author

Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013

(Read 4712 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #135 on: September 20, 2013, 01:52 AM »

Yeah i know what you mean, the problem is also that depression gets mocked by most people, i got so sick and tired of hearing "oh just cheer up, it's not the end of the world" etc. I think people just think depression is something you feel and can do something about not realising it's actually a very serious illness.

Anyway we're going off topic here, but hopefully you will never get to that stage again, mental breakdowns are not nice, my mum had one a long time ago and it was scary  hug
Thanks Gnome.  My final word on the matter is that a lot of people confuse depression with just simply having a fit of the blues, or 'one of those days'.  I can't say I blame them, even if I do find their exhortations irritating and upsetting, because unless a person has actually experienced the real thing then they can't possibly be expected to understand what it's like.  I know I certainly didn't until I began to suffer from it, albeit in a fairly mild form, some 20 years ago.

backtotopic

IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #136 on: September 20, 2013, 06:32 AM »

You are so brave, Aileen and Gnome.  Everyone should read the book I read some 3 years ago by Dr Tim Cantopher who explains what depression is and why we should try and understand all these horrible diseases.  I did meet him once when he came to give us a talk on bi-polar etc. when I worked at a surgery.  He was wonderful and it helped us communicate with patients.  Unfortunately I cannot remember the title of the book.

I think there are people who use the word depressed when , in fact, they do not have this problem, just as some use back trouble which is so difficult to diagnose.

Hope you both keep positive and that more people learn about these problems. 
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #137 on: September 20, 2013, 12:26 PM »

I was a RMN and worked in the Royal Edinburgh. I have nursed many people with depression, some people have a fear that it is something they should hide and talk of a stigma attached to mental illness. It is an illness of the mind and is as serious as a physical illness. It can happen at any time weather young or old but with new medication treatment works better and it is often just talking to someone who will listen to you helps.  Also I agree about people who say "Oh you will get over it" Medication, time and understanding will help people who are depressed to get well.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #138 on: September 20, 2013, 03:46 PM »

You are so brave, Aileen and Gnome.  Everyone should read the book I read some 3 years ago by Dr Tim Cantopher who explains what depression is and why we should try and understand all these horrible diseases.  I did meet him once when he came to give us a talk on bi-polar etc. when I worked at a surgery.  He was wonderful and it helped us communicate with patients.  Unfortunately I cannot remember the title of the book.

I think there are people who use the word depressed when , in fact, they do not have this problem, just as some use back trouble which is so difficult to diagnose.

Thank you for your much appreciate support Tamila. Smile

I was a RMN and worked in the Royal Edinburgh. I have nursed many people with depression, some people have a fear that it is something they should hide and talk of a stigma attached to mental illness. It is an illness of the mind and is as serious as a physical illness. It can happen at any time weather young or old but with new medication treatment works better and it is often just talking to someone who will listen to you helps.  Also I agree about people who say "Oh you will get over it" Medication, time and understanding will help people who are depressed to get well.
Thankfully some of the stigma attached to mental illness has been removed.  Had this been 40 years ago (when I did have a brief spell of stress-related depression) I would never have posted about it on a public forum because I did think it was something to be ashamed of and that somehow I was a failure.  After all it was rarely talked about and mentally ill people were just described as 'going funny'.  That, though, has all started to change over the last twenty years or so, but there's still a lot of room for more understanding of mental illness, not just by the public in general but by the sufferers themselves.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #139 on: September 21, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Thankyou Smile
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Andy @ the Thailand Open 2013 « Reply #140 on: September 21, 2013, 01:10 PM »

^ Nightmare.  When a bone is broken and someone can supply a plaster, people can see the wound.  When it's not physical, nobody sees, and it's very hard to bear. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »