Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andy won't play Monte Carlo but there's rumours he will play Estoril... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Andy won't play Monte Carlo but there's rumours he will play Estoril...

(Read 1631 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Alright, well it was confirmed a while ago that Andy won't play Monte Carlo this year. I like the tournament so it is a shame he won't play, but whatever, it's non mandatory and he doesn't have to play.

However, a number of Portugese people I know from the Tennis Forum have informed me that the tournament is trying to get Andy as well as last years defending Stan Wawrinka to play, despite the money issues the tournament has had. We all know Andy likes to help people out and with him and Stan playing they could both draw the tournament some much needed revenue.

I honestly think he should play this event. It's a decent field but will probably be weaker than last year due to money issues so with Stan and Andy possibly being the only top 10 or even top 20 players there it would be a perfect opportunity to gain some much needed match practice and confidence on the dirt.

Thoughts?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Never has an extremely strong field, quite an average one actually. I say go for it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Just heard that Estoril is after Monte Carlo but before Madrid and Rome. Perfect starting place for The Tradesman.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Estoril is Oeiras on the Calendar...28 april-4 may.

How about Barcalona?  I prefer 500 tournaments because FOX doesn't show 250 toernaments Smile...
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Estoril is Oeiras on the Calendar...28 april-4 may.

How about Barcalona?  I prefer 500 tournaments because FOX doesn't show 250 toernaments Smile...
Cunning devils.
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Cunning devils.

Ha ha! It took a minute, but I got there......
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Why is he not playing MC? Seems strange given the fact that he has so many points over the clay season to accrue.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

I wonder if it might depend oh his performance at IW?  If he makes it to the semis tonight it may give him confidence to bash on and chase a few points at MC
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Andy-Murray-I-will-not-play-in-Monte-Carlo-because-I-want-articolo16635.html
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Just in case anyone's a bit confused - as I was - the Portuguese tournament is now officially listed as being located in Oeiras rather Estoril.  It's the same place - don't know why they changed its description.

From the ATP website:

"The location of the tournament, which remains unchanged, was formerly referred to as Estoril"
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Who knows what Andy will do?  I just wait patiently to be told but the weather is nice in Portugal,that might tempt him
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

A very wise and not surprising decision by Andy not to play in MC.  The Davis Cup is clearly much more important to him, and he may have to play on all three days, so why go on to knacker himself when he's just recovering from his back op in a non-mandatory tournament, where he has very few points to defend, in the hope of picking up a few more?  

Will he be tempted to play in Oerias?  Well the DC runs from 4-6 April and Oerias doesn't start until the 28th, the week before Madrid, so there's a three week break.  Barcelona has to be ruled out anyway because Andy will be coming to the UK to pick up his award of the Freedom of Stirling on 23 April as well as attending the official opening of Cromlix House.

Obviously Andy will do what Andy wants to do, or probably what Lendl wants him to do, but I think he may have now realised that going into a Masters 'cold', especially one on clay, isn't a good idea, and Oerias sounds like the perfect warm-up, so I hope he does go for it.

Just in case anyone's a bit confused - as I was - the Portuguese tournament is now officially listed as being located in Oeiras rather Estoril.  It's the same place - don't know why they changed its description.

From the ATP website:

"The location of the tournament, which remains unchanged, was formerly referred to as Estoril"
I think the ATP have got confused.  Estoril and Oerias are not the same place - http://www.portugalvirtual.pt/cascais-estoril/sightseeing.php#.UyUU8o1F3IU

Also the former Estoril Open had its name changed to the Portugal Open in 2013 by the organisers in order to present the tournament as a Portuguese well-organized event, and it's actually held in Jamor in the Municipality of Oerias.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 16, 2014, 03:19 AM ] IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

I think this just shows how much Andy want a to lead the DC team to victory - if they triumph in Italy does this mean a home tie next, just wonder if this is at the back of my mind because I remember reading an article a wee while ago (and can't remember it's source or would link it) but Andy was saying he would love to see a big tennis event in Scotland.  Currently success in the DC might be the confidence boost that Andy needs nobody can forget what a catalyst it was for Djoko , setting him on his "invincible" season.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

I think this just shows how much Andy want a to lead the DC team to victory - if they triumph in Italy does this mean a home tie next, just wonder if this is at the back of my mind because I remember reading an article a wee while ago (and can't remember it's source or would link it) but Andy was saying he would love to see a big tennis event in Scotland.  Currently success in the DC might be the confidence boost that Andy needs nobody can forget what a catalyst it was for Djoko , setting him on his "invincible" season.

I quite like it when I know the answer to a question Smile. Indeed, if we get through Italy, we would probably face Switzerland, which would be a home tie for us.

I wonder if there would be any remote chance of them using the NIA in Birmingham again if we meet the Swiss. I'm being a bit selfish, but if that was the case I might just be able to persuade my brother to take me.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

I heard some comm speculating that they'd play on grass at Wimbledon if they were to  win and then have a home tie.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »