Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24 Go Down Reply
Author

Andys race to O2 WTF 2014

(Read 10241 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « on: August 09, 2014, 01:20 PM »

The race ranking is different to the normal rankings so thought we should have seperate thread.As Andy currently sits at no 9 with a few other players breathing down his neck its all to play for in the last few tournaments before November! He must do better and pick things up rapidly if he wants his place in the top 8 come o2 time.

A few of us on here that are going would desperately love to have him there and many thousands of others also across the country also.

So come on Andy  cmon yeah dont let us down.....please!!!  pray
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 02:14 PM »

The last few spots are often only decided the week or so before so hang on to your hats fols for a  roller coaster ride. Course if he could just win the US open it would save all our finger nails!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 02:15 PM »

No more choking from 3-0 up in the final set and he should be fine.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 04:44 PM »

The last few spots are often only decided the week or so before so hang on to your hats fols for a  roller coaster ride. Course if he could just win the US open it would save all our finger nails!
Oh WW wouldn't that be a wonderful happening. Got my doubts though but you never know with Andy.!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:54 AM »

Andy's going to qualify for the WTF, no doubt about it.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:29 AM »

I think he has a great chance, but it is likely that it won't be confirmed until much later than normal, so it's probably best not to worry about it too much, or it will be an anxious wait!

There is quite a bit of clumping in the race rankings, with a number of players with a plausible chance of making it.  Based on the current race rankings, I'd say everyone down to Cilic at #13 has a chance.

A good, deep run by any of those players, could change the odds.  Kei's position is vulnerable, due to general propensity to injury, and especially if he isn't back for the US Open.  Gulbis is hot and cold, so his ranking could tail right off.  Who knows with Jo?  He proved last week he can still play great, but couldn't carry it to this week.  Was that simple exhaustion?  It will be interesting to see his form from now on.  Cilic has the potential to play very well too.

I don't think anyone below there has a realistic chance.  They are too streaky, and for many, the clay season was their best bit.

Personally, I think Andy should get automatic entry, as he qualified last year, and couldn't play. lol
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 01:14 PM »

I think he has a great chance, but it is likely that it won't be confirmed until much later than normal, so it's probably best not to worry about it too much, or it will be an anxious wait!

There is quite a bit of clumping in the race rankings, with a number of players with a plausible chance of making it.  Based on the current race rankings, I'd say everyone down to Cilic at #13 has a chance.

A good, deep run by any of those players, could change the odds.  Kei's position is vulnerable, due to general propensity to injury, and especially if he isn't back for the US Open.  Gulbis is hot and cold, so his ranking could tail right off.  Who knows with Jo?  He proved last week he can still play great, but couldn't carry it to this week.  Was that simple exhaustion?  It will be interesting to see his form from now on.  Cilic has the potential to play very well too.

I don't think anyone below there has a realistic chance.  They are too streaky, and for many, the clay season was their best bit.

Personally, I think Andy should get automatic entry, as he qualified last year, and couldn't play. lol

As you say it is a wait and see. Avoid too much angst?

Andy is in skills a top 5 player and these others in top twenty seem to be unable to keep a string of wins going. Andy can do that when well focussed and if he goes well in Cincy then I would expect to see no adverse reaction in the next (US Open) as happened with JWT. If Andy is wise he will make an effort to improve points on the Asian swing. So far he has entered two but he could add to that for security so he can choose best points scored. Good for his normal ranking too.

I plan to see Andy play this year after three failed attempts to see him at the O2 so I have confidence in him.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 01:32 PM »

So far the clay season was Andy's best bit, with a semi-final at the French Open.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:18 AM »

That wasn't my point.

I was talking about the predicted performances of the players who are currently below Cilic in the race, many of whom are prone to being streaky and/or generally weaker on hard-courts than on clay.  I'm thinking of players like Fognini and how likely it was that he'll go on a deep run in several hard-court tournaments in a row.  It's improbable, because he's streaky, and generally favours clay.

And yes, Andy sometimes loses early, but the players I was talking about do it more often.  Do you really think any of them have a chance of making the WTFs?  I'm not saying it's impossible, just giving my reasoning on who are and who aren't the plausible threats for that final space.    If Andy plays badly enough to drop to 15th in the race, then it's all academic.

Below Andy, Gulbis considerately lost, but Cilic still has the potential for a good run. 

Above Andy, Dimitrov and Berdych lost, although I'd be surprised if Berdych didn't make the finals.  Ferrer was very close to losing, but like Toronto, he was just teasing.  doh
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:24 AM »

I was just teasing you *Sparkle*
Of course I want Andy to do well, and go on to win the WTF outright and with him fighting fit next year go on to win two more slams, taking a leaf out of Rory's book.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:52 AM »

Great Idea  Angie Babez Remember tat along with the eight top players there are also 2 reserves and the bottom line should be Andy making himself available for that
  BUT  it won't happen like that he'll pick up points in the US Open and the Asian Swing  and he will be among the top eight
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 10:01 AM »

So far the clay season was Andy's best bit, with a semi-final at the French Open.

If you look at Andy's win percentage in 2014 it is at 71%. On clay it is at 73% only because of the Davis cup match against USA on what was agreed by most as not really a proper clay surface! Without that it would have been only 60%. Remember he did not go far in the tournaments on clay before RG. Grass was his worst percentage at 69%. Just thought that it was wise to make that clear.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 10:47 AM »

I was just teasing you *Sparkle*
Of course I want Andy to do well, and go on to win the WTF outright and with him fighting fit next year go on to win two more slams, taking a leaf out of Rory's book.
Fair enough.  I wasn't doubting you wanted Andy to do well, just doubted you understood what I'd written.   Your post just didn't make sense as a reply to mine, even as a 'tease'.  Unless confusing me counts. Whistle
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 01:48 PM »

That's fed just qualified for WTF. Cant contain my excitement at the prospect of being surrounded by his manic fans  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Andys race to O2 WTF 2014 « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 04:46 PM »

That's fed just qualified for WTF. Cant contain my excitement at the prospect of being surrounded by his manic fans  Rolling Eyes

Can I make a suggestion? - If you want to p*** them all off why don't you take along some replica Gold Olympic Medals (even gold chocolate coins on a ribbon will do) and hand them out and just thell them how gutted you are that Mr Murray denied them the chance of seeing their "hero" get the Gold in London so your merely trying to make up for it - they'll disapear quicker than snow in the sun.  Just my helpful suggestion lol
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 24 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »