Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  anyone re-watched the AO final again? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

anyone re-watched the AO final again?

(Read 1947 times)
althusser
Junior

anyone re-watched the AO final again? « on: February 02, 2013, 09:45 PM »

... can't quite bring myself to do it yet
 For those who may have, I'm wondering how far people though the Joker's brilliance won him it in the final two sets, versus Andy's injuries etc? To me it did seem the Joker move up a level, winning the huge rallies etc. but then small declines in Andy's movement could have played a big part there that isn't so immediately visible to the eye. I'm 100% sure Andy was tiring in the third, but fighting hard through it.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:53 PM »

Have watched it on replay because i missed it live. Personally, i don't think either player was playing great the first 2 sets and split tie breaks was about right, Andy did look more relaxed to me and Nole look quite flustered.

The 3rd set was simply a combination of Andy wilting and Novak shifting up a gear sensing blood, they were neck and neck for so long that you felt whoever broke first would go on to win.

Andy had his chance to break at the start of the 2nd set and it could have been a different story, but against Nole those chances have to be taken or it's curtains.

By the 4th set i was kind of ready for Andy to lose despite showing amazing spirt iand courage to keep plugging away, Nole basically went for the throat seeing Andy was not moving well and i know Andy downplayed the relevance of a blister but it was obvious to those watching it had an adverse effect on his game.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:18 PM »

why watch that final   ?   when you can watch the USO on DVD  haha  Very Happy       tbh I still don't think that the AO final was a very high quality match.  The first set and bit  showed flashes from brilliant from the two    but    after Andy had treatment on his foot        it all went a bit flat.  
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:28 PM »

I've watched it again and believe that Andy might have had a good chance of winning the match had he not been slightly hampered, not by his blistered feet, although that probably didn't help, but by the hamstring he pulled during the Federer match which caused his leg to tighten up, although to be honest I didn't even think he had a problem until the comms mentioned it because his movement seemed to be fine, and I'm not even sure it was obvious in the replay either, although something did seem to be affecting his serve.

What was certain was that by the 3rd set Andy was definitely showing signs of beginning to fade mentally - whether it was due to pain he was feeling or the emotional after-effects of his win over Federer, or a combination of both, I don't know.  By the 4th though it was obvious that, no matter how hard he tried to fight, he was going to be the loser. Djoko upped his game in the 3rd and never let that level drop, but I don't think it was beyond the capabilities of a fit Andy to raise his own game and  beat him, albeit narrowly, and possibly with the match going to a decider.  Unfortunately he simply wasn't able to do it.

A lot people have said that Andy effectively lost the match in the 2nd set, but I don't buy that.  Andy has had dips before and pulled himself back and gone on to win.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 02, 2013, 10:37 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:33 AM »

It didn't feel like a final at all after the 2nd set. Murray clearly wasn't moving at his best and after the break it had somewhat of an inevitable feel to it.

First two sets were good watching though.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:08 AM »

I have only just had time to watch the recording.  My impression was that Andy had the upper hand for the first two sets and after he had treatment Novak realised that he may have a wounded opponent and gained confidence.  The two injuries started to show and that was that although Novak did not have it too easy.  They will both know the truth and that is maybe why Novak did not go over the top with celebration.  I did not think Andy showed signs of tiredness just of pain.  Well done to him for finishing.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:18 AM »

I was particularly pleased Novak didn't do his usual apeman celebration. Showed more respect for his opponent and hopefully some maturity.
IP Logged
bes03_philippines
Satellite Level

game, set, match!

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:37 AM »

why watch that final   ?   when you can watch the USO on DVD  haha  Very Happy       tbh I still don't think that the AO final was a very high quality match.  The first set and bit  showed flashes from brilliant from the two    but    after Andy had treatment on his foot        it all went a bit flat. 

where can i get hold of a dvd copy of the us open? collector's item for any murray fan Smile
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 03:43 PM »

where can i get hold of a dvd copy of the us open? collector's item for any murray fan Smile

on Amazon  Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 04:15 PM »

On Amazon, as John says.  This link will take you to the right site - http://www.amazon.com/2012-US-Open-Mens-Final/dp/B009NDYS08
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 04:52 PM »

I got my copy of the final from this website: http://www.tennisdvdworld.net/us-open-2012-mens-final-murray-djokovic.html. It's the Sky Sports commentary which is my favourite.

I've not watched the AO final again and probably won't (I hardly ever watch matches Andy loses, especially his slam finals). It's hard to say how the match would have gone if Andy hadn't had his blisters as they obviously impaired his movement a lot. It probably would have been a very tough battle anyway as Djokovic was really hungry for this slam title, having missed out on the USO and failed to reach the final of Wimbledon and the Olympics.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:01 PM »

I haven't watched the final again yet. I will, but I just can't make myself do it at the moment. The fact that I've rewatched the semi about four times probably says a lot about me lol.

I was under the impression that the hamstring injury played a bigger part in Andy losing than the blisters to be honest, although I still don't understand the point of showing Andy's blisters on the big screen in the stadium. Brilliant way to let on to an opponent that the other bloke is injured if you ask me. It seemed ridiculous, I mean, we all know what a blister looks like, but all Djokovic needed to do was look up and see that Andy could have a problem he could use. I'm not saying he did, but he could have done.

Djokovic did up his level, I grant you that, but I do think Andy not being quite 100%, plus everything the semi with Federer took, especially emotionally, and the fact that Djokovic had a very easy semi and extra rest time was a factor, and I mean no disrespect to Djokovic when I say that. I really do feel that a fit Andy, with comparable rest time between the semi and the final, would have pushed Djokovic even closer than he did, or could have clinched it. It would probably still have been close, but most of their matches, especially recently, have been.

I think Djokovic's celebration at the end had the right tone. It was right that he should be pleased he had won, of course, but I would have been annoyed if he had done the shirt ripping thing. I just don't like it. It felt to me as if he knew that Andy wasn't quite right and he celebrated accordingly. I think they both did well in their speeches too, coming across as respectful of one another.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 05:29 PM »

I got my copy of the final from this website: http://www.tennisdvdworld.net/us-open-2012-mens-final-murray-djokovic.html. It's the Sky Sports commentary which is my favourite.

I've not watched the AO final again and probably won't (I hardly ever watch matches Andy loses, especially his slam finals). It's hard to say how the match would have gone if Andy hadn't had his blisters as they obviously impaired his movement a lot. It probably would have been a very tough battle anyway as Djokovic was really hungry for this slam title, having missed out on the USO and failed to reach the final of Wimbledon and the Olympics.
I didn't feel too disappointed at the time but watching the match again (something I've never done before when Andy loses) was a bit depressing.  Andy had Novak rattled in the second set, and he showed it, so despite the lost BP opportunities and the wayward feather, I still felt that had Andy been 100% there physically and mentally he could have turned the match around and continued to go toe to toe with Djokovic by upping his own game, thereby giving the spectators the match they had been hoping for and which the players themselves no doubt wanted.  It would have been hard-fought, and with an unpredictable outcome, but at least the playing field would have been much more even.  The fact though that Andy was still able to push Djokovic around despite everything is very much to his credit.

I haven't watched the final again yet. I will, but I just can't make myself do it at the moment. The fact that I've rewatched the semi about four times probably says a lot about me lol.

I was under the impression that the hamstring injury played a bigger part in Andy losing than the blisters to be honest, although I still don't understand the point of showing Andy's blisters on the big screen in the stadium. Brilliant way to let on to an opponent that the other bloke is injured if you ask me. It seemed ridiculous, I mean, we all know what a blister looks like, but all Djokovic needed to do was look up and see that Andy could have a problem he could use. I'm not saying he did, but he could have done.

Djokovic did up his level, I grant you that, but I do think Andy not being quite 100%, plus everything the semi with Federer took, especially emotionally, and the fact that Djokovic had a very easy semi and extra rest time was a factor, and I mean no disrespect to Djokovic when I say that. I really do feel that a fit Andy, with comparable rest time between the semi and the final, would have pushed Djokovic even closer than he did, or could have clinched it. It would probably still have been close, but most of their matches, especially recently, have been.

I think Djokovic's celebration at the end had the right tone. It was right that he should be pleased he had won, of course, but I would have been annoyed if he had done the shirt ripping thing. I just don't like it. It felt to me as if he knew that Andy wasn't quite right and he celebrated accordingly. I think they both did well in their speeches too, coming across as respectful of one another.
I think most of us would prefer to re-watch the Federer match!  Just a pity it wasn't the final.

I didn't see the point in showing the blisters in all their ghastly glory either, but that seems to be how things are done these days.  From what Andy said later though it seems it was the pain from his hamstring that was giving him more bother, and he must have been understandably concerned in case he did further damage to it.  Whether Djokovic would have been aware of that problem, I don't know, although I think players are probably so tuned in that they can pick up on these things fairly quickly after a match starts.

Also (and I was watching on the BBC), despite the muted ape-man celebrations, Djokovic did tear off his shirt and throw it into the crowd, although he did at least retire to the side of the court before doing so.  It seemed to me that Andy's voice kept cracking slightly during his speech, but he did very well to hide the huge disappointment and frustration he must have been feeling.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 03, 2013, 06:10 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 06:22 PM »

ANOTHER EDIT AILEEN!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 06:28 PM »

ANOTHER EDIT AILEEN!
Oh FFS - I'm starting to get paranoid about this now ... nervous  I'll never make another post on this forum and you won't appreciate what you're missing until I'm gone. ignore
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »