Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  anyone re-watched the AO final again? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

anyone re-watched the AO final again?

(Read 2302 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 06:30 PM »

Oh FFS - I'm starting to get paranoid about this now ... nervous  I'll never make another post on this forum and you won't appreciate what you're missing until I'm gone. ignore
  No need for paranoia on my account at least.  I'm cool.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 06:36 PM »

No I have not seen it another time...for anone who will; this is a good article I assume

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Brain-Game-Djokovic-Serve-Australian-Open.aspx
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 06:39 PM »

No need for paranoia on my account at least.  I'm cool.
I'm not really paranoid Fiverings.  It would take an awful lot more than these two young winder-uppers to make me feel like that. Smile 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 07:23 PM »

I'm not really paranoid Fiverings.  It would take an awful lot more than these two young winder-uppers to make me feel like that. Smile 
  Sorry if that sounded patronising Aileen - it wasn't meant to!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 07:43 PM »

^ No worries Fiverings - I didn't see it as being that way at all. Smile

No I have not seen it another time...for anone who will; this is a good article I assume

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/01/Features/Brain-Game-Djokovic-Serve-Australian-Open.aspx
I'm not much into these sort of analyses flowerpower, and Andy's serve was clearly affected, probably due to the pulled hamstring, so it's a bit difficult to judge him in this match, although his serving in the tournament until the final was very good.

I will though pay more attention to how players place their serves in future because, if nothing else, that article confirms my belief that serve location is more important than how fast it is - unless, of course, your name happens to be Raonic, but then again the negative side of his ability to serve down bullets is negated by the fact that he serves too many DFs.

I'd assume though that both Andy and Lendl have already worked out these serving patterns, so therefore must have some strategy both for putting them into effect and dealing with them, and as far as I know Andy is still seen by many to be the best returner in the game.

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 11:02 PM »

No I haven't, and I probably won't... not the best of matches imo
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 11:15 PM »

Nope - not going to re-watch Andy losing a Slam.  Painful enough first time round.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 08:18 AM »

I still don't understand the point of showing Andy's blisters on the big screen in the stadium. Brilliant way to let on to an opponent that the other bloke is injured if you ask me. It seemed ridiculous, I mean, we all know what a blister looks like, but all Djokovic needed to do was look up and see that Andy could have a problem he could use. I'm not saying he did, but he could have done.
I was reading one article where someone who is apparently expert in (armchair) sports psychology, saying that Andy should have gone off court for his treatment, as he allowed Djokovic to see what was troubling him.  This was the whole basis of claiming Andy didn't have a clue about psychology and was being too much of a stoic Brit.  Now, my understanding is that you aren't allowed to go off-court for anything that can be treated court-side, so that whole article became pointless, but the writer was under the impression that Djokovic was using stretching as a cover to have a sneaky look at what treatment Andy was getting, although that big screen image made that unecessary.

I think Djokovic's celebration at the end had the right tone. It was right that he should be pleased he had won, of course, but I would have been annoyed if he had done the shirt ripping thing. I just don't like it. It felt to me as if he knew that Andy wasn't quite right and he celebrated accordingly. I think they both did well in their speeches too, coming across as respectful of one another.
I don't mind the shirt ripping after an epic battle, but I'd agree that if he knew Andy's play was hampered at all, it would have been a bit off.  At the same time, I do think it can be a sign of respect for a player to react like it is a big deal to beat their opponent - if they are the sort of person who reacts that way.  Andy is always fairly reserved, but that's his style for everything, so you expect that in victory.  Nole is an extrovert, so I'd expect him to react accordingly after a big win.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 12:31 PM »

I was reading one article where someone who is apparently expert in (armchair) sports psychology, saying that Andy should have gone off court for his treatment, as he allowed Djokovic to see what was troubling him.  This was the whole basis of claiming Andy didn't have a clue about psychology and was being too much of a stoic Brit.  Now, my understanding is that you aren't allowed to go off-court for anything that can be treated court-side, so that whole article became pointless, but the writer was under the impression that Djokovic was using stretching as a cover to have a sneaky look at what treatment Andy was getting, although that big screen image made that unecessary.

I'm pretty sure I read parts of the same article about the psychology of it all. I think I stopped reading when the writer, who I think was Raj Persuad, a psychologist who has done some TV stuff, completely misunderstood some fundamentals of the game, rendering the whole piece worthless, although I can't remember exactly what he said that annoyed me.

It did make me think though. Are there rules that state what a player is allowed to go off court for in terms of treatment? Could Andy have gone off? The thing with Andy is that him having the trainer out at all doesn't happen often, contrary to popular myth, and I don't recall a time when he has ever gone off court for treatment, even when his back was bad at the French last year. However, I do recall instances, one at Wimbledon, last year I think, when Federer went off, had treatment, and then played better.

I'm sure Djokovic was having a sneaky look, and let's be honest, who wouldn't? It's human nature. However, he didn't need to really. Andy's blisters were being transmitted loud and clear (and quite gross really) for the whole stadium to see.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 04:13 PM »

No, will not watch the final again. But I did watch his semifinal against Federer again on Saturday. It was an ESPN Aussie comms production. That is Aussie feed at change ends/sets and in the studio, but Pat McEnroe and other during play.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 12:24 AM »

I was particularly pleased Novak didn't do his usual apeman celebration. Showed more respect for his opponent and hopefully some maturity.

Me too.  Drives me ape that does lol
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 12:44 AM »

I like Novak's celebration lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 02:20 AM »

I'm pretty sure I read parts of the same article about the psychology of it all. I think I stopped reading when the writer, who I think was Raj Persuad, a psychologist who has done some TV stuff, completely misunderstood some fundamentals of the game, rendering the whole piece worthless, although I can't remember exactly what he said that annoyed me.

It did make me think though. Are there rules that state what a player is allowed to go off court for in terms of treatment? Could Andy have gone off? The thing with Andy is that him having the trainer out at all doesn't happen often, contrary to popular myth, and I don't recall a time when he has ever gone off court for treatment, even when his back was bad at the French last year. However, I do recall instances, one at Wimbledon, last year I think, when Federer went off, had treatment, and then played better.

I'm sure Djokovic was having a sneaky look, and let's be honest, who wouldn't? It's human nature. However, he didn't need to really. Andy's blisters were being transmitted loud and clear (and quite gross really) for the whole stadium to see.
Players are only allowed to go off court for treatment if either (a) the injury is in an area of the body which would require the player to remove all or part of their clothing (although not men's shirts), or (b) the trainer feels that treatment can be better carried out that way, i.e. maybe by using ultrasound equipment, so Andy's foot didn't fall into those categories.   What I strongly feel is wrong, though, is when the on-court treatment is displayed, as it was in Andy's case, not only on our TV screens but on the large screen in the stadium, thereby letting opponents know exactly what is going on, even if they already have an idea what the problem is.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 09:46 AM »

Players are only allowed to go off court for treatment if either (a) the injury is in an area of the body which would require the player to remove all or part of their clothing (although not men's shirts), or (b) the trainer feels that treatment can be better carried out that way, i.e. maybe by using ultrasound equipment, so Andy's foot didn't fall into those categories.   What I strongly feel is wrong, though, is when the on-court treatment is displayed, as it was in Andy's case, not only on our TV screens but on the large screen in the stadium, thereby letting opponents know exactly what is going on, even if they already have an idea what the problem is.

That's interesting, thanks Aileen. It was Andy's blisters being transmitted all over the place that annoyed me too. There was just no need for it, and it must have lifted Djokovic no end.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: anyone re-watched the AO final again? « Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 11:07 AM »

That's interesting, thanks Aileen. It was Andy's blisters being transmitted all over the place that annoyed me too. There was just no need for it, and it must have lifted Djokovic no end.

Andy was always criticised for clutching various parts of his anatomy, thereby letting his opponent know he had a  problem.    Now the problem is all over the big screen.     Doesn't make sense.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »