Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: A place in the semi-final awaits the winner.  Who will it be.
Sayounara Andy? - 4 (11.4%)
Sayounara Kei? - 31 (88.6%)
Doh! I voted for sayounara Andy instead of sayounara Kei! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 33

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori

(Read 5276 times)
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #450 on: January 25, 2012, 07:59 AM »

Obviously we want Ferrer and The Joker to play a 5 setter with Ferrer winning 50-48 in the fifth.
 The Joker will be a huge favourite.

This will only help Andy to be more relaxed, while conversely hindering The joker some what. (more pressure on him to win being the favourite). Either way if it is the Joker that Andy plays in his semi then its gonna be a very very testing match for both players...........
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #451 on: January 25, 2012, 08:02 AM »

Andy is doing so much for Scotland  Bagpipes, I can't help but feel immensely proud   wub

Not Britain? And British sport?  You have to share him around until Scotland become independent Whistle
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #452 on: January 25, 2012, 08:11 AM »

Well done Andy you are doing us all proud and at the end of the day you can only beat who is put in front of you.  Now Daveeeeed can you do us a favour and take Djoko to five long sets, if you can manage it can we have each set going to a tie break and keep him out there for 4+ hours and then if you can win the match all the better!!!!!  Whatever happens come on Andy "Braveheart" Murray.  (Final question is there a home for retired tennis players if so can somebody please get a place for Virginia Wade and get her the heck off Eurosport)..........
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #453 on: January 25, 2012, 08:41 AM »

Like Aileen surmised, the first two sets were more challenging for Andy than the third, my worry was that Andy's focus seemed to drift in and out too much, maybe he was a little mentally fatigued? However that said i thought physically he looked strong - he'll have to be if as expected The joker is his next opponent. Anyway what i am comforted by while watching Andy at this years Australian Open is that Andy seems to be playing his best tennis as he moves through the various rounds, started off adequately (dropped a set in round one) but now appears to be moving into top gear (just iron out your serve yips). whilst in previous years namely 2011 and 2010 he was on fire right from the start of those Australian Opens only for this fantastic level he set to drop away in the semis and more importantly the two finals he contested. On balance i think Andy is definately in a much better place with his game when compared to the same stages last year and the year before. Now the tests and questions will be asked of him. In order he become this years Australian open champion he'll need to beat two great players. I for one believe he can do it based on current form. The question i have to ask is does Andy? The next few days or so could turn out to be huge for Andy.....You go!  pray pray
  Well said PT! I must admit he is going to have a tussle with Novak, however well he is playing, but Novak suffered a dip the other day and Leyton won a set which proves he is vulnerable. Can Andy believe in his own ability just that bit extra than Novak does? We shall see. I dozed off in the third set in both Andy's last matches - bet I don't when he plays Novak!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #454 on: January 25, 2012, 09:46 AM »

Excellent stuff again - an easy match on paper but dispatched with little fuss and drama.

Another semi-final at a slam. Very Happy
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #455 on: January 25, 2012, 10:44 AM »

so happy   yay   Please Mr Ferrer beat Djoko , or run him ragged !!!!
Ferrer is running him ragged but still not winning. Djoko is blowing like a whale after each rally, so it's hurting him.

Doesnt look possible for Ferrer to go a couple of break up. He loses some critical points to get him a break or two up.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #456 on: January 25, 2012, 10:48 AM »

Ferrer breaks, and saves the set to go to a tie break.

Yes!!!!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #457 on: January 25, 2012, 11:17 AM »

Ferrer could have had that second set and now it looks like he is going to implode........   I wonder if Djoko has an injury some points it looks like he has and then he pulls off some wonderful retrieving shots???
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #458 on: January 25, 2012, 12:09 PM »

MM Before last year he was an awful drama queen. Last year stopped all that. Seems "queen" is back...Wink
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #459 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28 PM »

Well done to Andy, glad he did it in 3 sets. Bit disappointed in And'ys 1st serve, he can't do that from now on, so hope he finds it when he plays Nole, otherwise it's going to be curtains.
IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #460 on: January 25, 2012, 02:06 PM »

Well done to Andy, glad he did it in 3 sets. Bit disappointed in And'ys 1st serve, he can't do that from now on, so hope he finds it when he plays Nole, otherwise it's going to be curtains.

he wont, he will get into rhythm against novak, should be a corker
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #461 on: January 25, 2012, 02:32 PM »

he wont, he will get into rhythm against novak, should be a corker
It most certainly should be if Andy keeps up his level of play to date.  It will be interesting to see just how  he performs, mentally.  I think, and I hope, we see a big difference in him since Lendl came on board.  Maybe it's just wishful thinking?  Did Lendl not lose a fair few Slams initially, then go on to win eight? 
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #462 on: January 25, 2012, 02:38 PM »

It will be interesting to see how he performs mentally. The USO SF was a bit disappointing in that respect, with Andy shouting and tugging at his clothes, wristband etc. Hopefully this time even if he's losing he'll keep his focus and stay calm.

Novak looked brilliant by the end of the match today and I expect he'll start the match in the same kind of form on Friday. It's going to be very tough for Andy- though he and Federer do have better chances of beating Novak than Rafa does. Last year Andy didn't bring his best tennis to the AO final but hopefully this time will be different. If he brings his best tennis and still loses then that's fine - what's much worse to watch is when he can't deliver the kind of tennis he's capable of.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #463 on: January 25, 2012, 04:11 PM »

Aside from his first serve, Andy played some amazing points, don't know what the stats were but it was the kind of match that champions come through.  Andy could have gotten frustrated and start ranting, but aside from some mutterings he kept his cool....good for him.  It was a really physical match.  Here is the interview:

Q.  Definitely better entertainment than the last match, Andy. 

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah.  There was quite a few good rallies.  Yeah, I mean, he came up with some good shots.  A lot of the long points, the fun rallies he was winning, he came up with some great shots. 

But I was just a little bit more solid today and probably had a little bit more in the tank than he did.  He played three long matches.  With the way that he plays, you know, he needs to play a lot of long rallies.  That was to my advantage today. 

So it was good. 

Q.  Do you feel you're kind of climbing step by step heading towards the semifinal?

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, I mean, I was hitting the ball better today.  I could have served better, that's for sure.  I'll need to serve better in the next match.  I had a sore neck today when I woke up and I wasn't feeling all my serve.  I don't know if it had anything to do with that. 

But I was returning good, hitting the ball clean from the back of the court, moved forward well.  So it was good. 

Q.  Five semifinals in a row.  What does that mean to you?  You're looking for consistency.  You must be incredibly proud of that. 

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, it's been a good run.  I mean, it's not easy to do.  It's happened often the last few years 'cause of the guys that are playing at the top just now.  But, yeah, it's a difficult thing to do.  It's good to see that I've been playing my best tennis at the slams because that's something the last couple years I wanted to make sure I was doing. 

That wasn't always the case.  Good to see that's been paying off.  I've been preparing the best I could for them.  Thankfully the tennis has been good, as well. 

Q.  Today your opponent said he looks at you as kind of a role model.  He likes to play the way you do.  He said he likes your backhand and your intelligence on the court.  Do you think you find any similarity between you and Kei in terms of playing style? 

ANDY MURRAY:  Well, yeah, I mean, I think both of us move well.  I think he's improved his allcourt game.  I think he's volleying better.  Saw a bit of his match with Tsonga.  He was volleying well.  I think he is a clever player on the court.  He's quick. 

I don't mean this in a bad way.  The only difference is the height.  For me, I can get more on my serve because of my height.  That's of benefit to me. 

I like the way he plays.  I practiced with him a lot when I was younger.  I used to go to Bollettieri's.  Obviously have the similarities of having worked with Brad Gilbert, as well. 

Yeah, he's a very good player.  So it's nice that he likes the way I play. 

Q.  What kind of advice would you like to give him? 

ANDY MURRAY:  Well, I think he just needs to keep doing what he's been doing the last five or six months.  I don't know exactly if he changed much in what he was doing.  But I said before the match that I'd seen him in the gym a lot.  I've seen him working hard in Brisbane, and even here as well. 

He's doing well.  He's playing the best tennis of his career.  He's going to be moving, I guess, into the top 20 at least after this week.  So he's going the right direction. 

He's come back from a bad problem with his shoulder.  So he's done really well to come back from that. 

Q.  Do you put your first serving down to your neck only today, or how do you think it's been going throughout the whole tournament? 

ANDY MURRAY:  Well, I hadn't been broken.  I mean, the last match wasn't much.  But since the first set of my match with Ryan Harrison, I went nine sets I think without getting broken.  So I've been serving well.  Been getting a lot of free points with my serve. 

Yeah, I don't know if it was anything to do with my neck.  I didn't feel great on my serve today.  But I'll work on it tomorrow and get the rhythm back. 

Q.  You played in quite different conditions for all of your matches.  What were the conditions like today?

ANDY MURRAY:  It was hot actually.  We practiced this morning.  It was cloudy and cool.  Then when the clouds sort of burnt away, it was warm.  On that court, it was quite breezy, as well.  You always feel like there's a bit of a breeze on that court when you're down the far end. 

But it was pretty strong today.  It was tough to dictate points from that far side. 

Q.  You haven't had to spend too much time on court.  How are you feeling other than the neck?  Are you feeling fresh for this stage of the tournament?

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, I'd hope so.  I mean, I haven't played over two hours really for the last few matches.  So, yeah, I feel fresh.  Hopefully that will be to my advantage going into the weekend.  I have to play a lot of long rallies, for sure, against the guys that are still left in the tournament.  So I'll need my legs to be fresh for the next few matches. 

Q.  What have you been able to see of Novak and David?  Can you give us a quick preview of the two of them?

ANDY MURRAY:  I saw Novak's match with Lleyton.  That was the only match of his I'd seen.  He was hitting the ball very well. 

David, I saw a bit of his match with Gasquet.  He's always solid.  He's always very good.  He never plays poor matches.  Obviously had the long one with him last year.  He's a tough guy to play. 

Q.  Do you feel more relaxed at this Grand Slam than maybe previous Grand Slams?  Does it feel different?

ANDY MURRAY:  No, not necessarily more relaxed.  Just probably definitely have more experienced than I had at this point last year because I played deep in the slams the last five or six of them. 

No, not necessarily more relaxed.  Just more used to being in this position because of the experience. 

Q.  Do you think that will help you in the semifinal?

ANDY MURRAY:  I hope so, yeah. 

Q.  With the top four having been the same for so long, you being part of that, does it feel any different for you this time having Roger and Rafa finally on the same half?

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, well, it has been amazing.  I pretty much drew to be in Nadal's half, I mean, almost every slam.  I can't remember the last time I wasn't in his half of the draw.  It's been a long time. 

So, yeah.  I mean, it doesn't make a huge difference.  Not like the match on Friday's going to be easy, because Novak's obviously playing great tennis and David's excellent, as well.  It doesn't change too much.  It was actually amazing how many times I was drawn the same half as Rafa. 

Q.  Can you offer an opinion as to who might come through between Roger and Rafa? 

ANDY MURRAY:  Between Roger and Rafa?  I don't know, to be honest.  It could go either way.  Depends who plays well on the day. 

Rafa's obviously got a great record against him.  The conditions in the evening, I don't know exactly who they would suit.  I mean, they played a few years ago here, and it was an epic match.  I'd expect it to be similar. 

Q.  Obviously last year the final loss was quite a shattering experience against Novak.  If you were to play him again, how much confidence do you take into it knowing that you've subsequently beaten him last year? 

ANDY MURRAY:  Well, I've always liked playing against him.  And, yeah, after the year that he had, the loss didn't look so bad six months later.  But I'd like to get the chance to play him again.  It would be a good marker to see how I've improved since last year.  We'll have to wait and see if he gets through. 

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Access Player LinksAndy Murray Bio
IP Logged
frewbuddie

Re: AO 2012 QF: Murray vs Nishikori « Reply #464 on: January 25, 2012, 05:35 PM »

Well done Andy in reaching the semis again.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »