Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will be packing their bags and flying home?
Andy - not a good day at the office for him. - 3 (8.3%)
Ryan - the American is quiet for once. - 33 (91.7%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 30 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison

(Read 5198 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 04:55 PM »

I agree it's a game plan Emma but when part of that plan is targeting a perceived mental weakness of the opponent and making it public doesn't that come under the category of mind games to me it's close but at the same time I don't think there was anything unsportsmanlike said by either of them.

How is it a mind game when it is clearly a weakness on both parts? If anything, it's a known fact. Saying it aloud doesn't make it any different. Anyway, Andy will frustrate and cause more errors on Harrison since he's decided to play aggressive (there's no other way though) and that will lead Harrison to lose it. Andy can simply do it for fun or if he's in a hurry he himself can play aggressive. This all remains to be seen. Personally, I don't see Harrison losing it because he just can't afford it against a top player. His temper should be in check even if he finds himself losing 0,0,0.

There's no need to make it more spicy and controversial when the matchup itself is interesting enough. That’s a bad attempt. You should have just posted the whole article.
[ Last edit by -Emma- January 16, 2012, 05:04 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 05:00 PM »

I'm guessing that both Andy and Harrison were asked leading questions to come up with those quotes. The media love to stir things up before matches.
I tend to agree with that Katie.  Everything is taken out of context and so becomes twisted, and these days even papers like The Guardian aren't above a bit of sensationalism.

IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 05:04 PM »

I'm sure Andy will have watched Harrison against Novak, Roger, David and Robin from 2011 and worked out the gameplan against the young American.

Hoping that the Andy that we saw against Tomic and Dolgo turn up against Harrison tomorrow Smile
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 05:05 PM »

How is it a mind game when it is clearly a weakness on both parts? If anything, it's a known fact. Saying it aloud doesn't make it any different. Anyway, Andy will frustrate and cause more errors on Harrison since he's decided to play aggressive (there's no other way though) and that will lead Harrison to lose it. Andy can simply do it for fun or if he's in a hurry he himself can play aggressive. This all remains to be seen. Personally, I don't see Harrison losing it because he just can't afford it against a top player. His temper should be in check even if he finds himself losing 0,0,0.

There's no need to make it more spicy and controversial when the matchup itself is interesting enough. That’s bad attempt. You should have just posted the whole article.

I should have posted the article apologies. I see your point, I just thought from murrays side saying out loud that he wanted to make harrison lose his temper kind of upped the ante.

With Harrison it was more over confidence! Sure he has to sound confident he isn't going to say anything less, but I felt a young up and coming player playing a two time defending champion would aknowledge they need him to have an off day! He talks about backing his A game to beat Murrays I understand he needs to believe that but maybe saying that is a little disrespectful to what Murray has achieved in Melbourne in the past.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 05:13 PM »

oh no I just voted for Andy to be sent packing home... Frown  I did it by a mistake... if there any way to re vote?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 05:15 PM »

I'm sure Andy will have watched Harrison against Novak, Roger, David and Robin from 2011 and worked out the gameplan against the young American.

Hoping that the Andy that we saw against Tomic and Dolgo turn up against Harrison tomorrow Smile

If Andy hasn't I'm sure Lendl will have.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 05:17 PM »

oh no I just voted for Andy to be sent packing home... Frown  I did it by a mistake... if there any way to re vote?

oh john...lol
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 05:20 PM »

Andy needs to keep his mouth shut and dodge the questions. Be more diplomatic and technical. I didn't like it much. I am not sure if it's the Lendl strategy; in that case, I take it back.

Let Harriosn dig his own grave. He will have to come out of it too.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 05:29 PM »

I've made it so you can change your vote.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 05:31 PM »

I've made it so you can change your vote.
thanks
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 06:13 PM »

Here's hoping for smooth progress into the 2nd round, I'm expecting a straight sets victory though a couple of the sets might be close..Andy has been on top form lately and his confidence should be high just now. Definitely staying up to watch, Eurosport is way too unpredictable in the way they switch channels to risk recording it! cmon yeah
IP Logged
geo1

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 06:42 PM »

I did wonder who the other one was... ; )
IP Logged
killieboyd
Junior

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 07:09 PM »

Can't see past Andy in 3 realtively straight sets!
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Here's hoping for smooth progress into the 2nd round, I'm expecting a straight sets victory though a couple of the sets might be close..Andy has been on top form lately and his confidence should be high just now. Definitely staying up to watch, Eurosport is way too unpredictable in the way they switch channels to risk recording it! cmon yeah
I'm tempted to agree with you're match prediction. I could see him losing perhaps one set, worst case.

He shouldn't be too nervous as he has been there many times, compared to the young Harrison. Experience should help a lot.

Still I'll be nervous enough at the start to see how his serve % is, his movements and how's his knee holding up?
 cmonandy
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: AO 2012 R1: Murray vs Harrison « Reply #44 on: January 16, 2012, 07:25 PM »

There's no need to make it more spicy and controversial when the matchup itself is interesting enough. That’s a bad attempt. You should have just posted the whole article.

"I know he’d like to win the first [Grand Slam title] for British tennis in, what is it, 150,000 years,” Federer joked in a post-match interview. “The poor guy has to go through those moments over and over again.” (Roger Federer)

Now THAT Emma, is what I would refer to as 'mind games' , to the letter in fact.
And this  is what I say to it!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 30 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »